Misc Archery Questions

Um......as a predator you have binocular vision for a reason.

Archery is archery. Wheels, or bent limbs is irrelevant.

The more you practice, the longer a doz arrows will last.

If you love it you'll teach yourself.

1. Both open trad....total squinted for compound. I do not recommend. I cant close one eye at a time so I have to squint usually.
2. Usually have 12-16 on hand carry six while hunting.
3. Hunting I have a quick release G5 quiver. For target, 3d, or practice I use a hip quiver.
4. 4 inches or 5 or 6 it's all good.
5. Were no longer friends when it's ok. 😉

1. Rifle I close one eye. Trad both open - I shoot instinctive
2. 25 arrows or so. I build my own and the 5 that fly the best are in my hunting quiver and the rest are practice. You really don’t need 25, but 12 would be a bare minimum. I’d suggest having 15-18 to account for flaws, and lost or damaged arrows.
3. Hunting in the East with a back quiver is a PITA. I have canister-style back quiver for target shooting which holds ~15 arrows. Hip quiver is fine, but bow-attached is superior. I altered my pack to allow me to attach my quiver to it when I’m tree stand hunting, which is very convenient. image.jpgimage.jpg
4. ?
5. C13BF05F-90BA-4952-AA01-17827397ECE3.jpeg

Since no one else has mentioned it, you can skip all of that 1 - 4 nonsense and go straight to embracing #5 full out if you make your own #tradbow #stickbow etc. . . .

20200703_074409.jpg

20200703_074518.jpg

20200703_074527.jpg

Yes, even if it's made from an oak board from Home Depot. . .

Even if it's out of tiller . . .

Even if you break the first one . . .

Even if the 2nd one might have a small, small crack

If it shoots, #tradlife

Last edited:
1. Both open. I shoot a gun right handed and have to close my left eye to see through scope
2. I buy mine 6 at a time, and refill once I break / lose a few. I take 3 into the field with BH
3. Whatever you choose practice with it that way too. If you practice without, don't throw one on and assume all is good.
4. Pie plate is what I've always considered kill zone. I consider it shooting distance if I can keep groups in a 4 in circle.
5. Not a 'gram user so you do you, live your best life.

1. One eye closed, cross eye dominant. How people keep both eyes open is foreign to me
2. 12 usually.
3. on my bow
4. What?
5. no clue. once you get a decent shot at something?

1. One eye closed, cross eye dominant. How people keep both eyes open is foreign to me
2. 12 usually.
3. on my bow
4. What?
5. no clue. once you get a decent shot at something?

Yeah I’m cross eye dominant as well.

4. The idea of you can hit a milk jug regularly at a distance you are go to go to hunt at that distance. Heard in most in regard to rifles. So basically I’m good to go at 11 yards lol
066D8239-0205-4F4A-A97C-F86724C4F557.jpeg
With regard to the eye thing, I think I’m having trouble “picking a spot” on my yellow target. I set the jug up there and my group instantly tightened and I went 10 for 10. I think closing an eye was just making me focus on a spot more. Picking a spot is definitely something I’m going to try and work on.

@ajricketts love it, what’s the draw weight on that bad boy

4. The idea of you can hit a milk jug regularly at a distance you are go to go to hunt at that distance. Heard in most in regard to rifles. So basically I’m good to go at 11 yards lol
View attachment 145642
With regard to the eye thing, I think I’m having trouble “picking a spot” on my yellow target. I set the jug up there and my group instantly tightened and I went 10 for 10. I think closing an eye was just making me focus on a spot more. Picking a spot is definitely something I’m going to try and work on.

Make cross hairs on your target with masking/painters tape. It has helped me a ton!

21F0CABF-2F19-4E6C-A35F-C61164AF3A4C.jpeg

Ahhh. I shoot a compound bow so it may differ, but you should be able to consistently hit a target twice the diameter in inches as you are distance in yards. So 20 yds = 4 inches, 30 = 6in, 40yds =8in. Someone else mentioned this in a previous thread and I would give them credit if I could remember who it was. I read it in a magazine recently too, so maybe it is pretty standard.

the eye thing is tough. I am near sighted so I wear contacts which make me far sighted. I had trouble lining up the pin (arms length) and the target (45yds). I switched to multifocal lenses last year and it really help be able to line up everything comfortably. Everything may be a little blurry and less than 20/20, but it is better than being perfect on one item and horrible on another. I do Dsnow9's idea when I need to adjust vertical and horizontal on my pins. If you need to focus on a very specific point, make it a different color. I use a roll of blaze orange duct tape and rip off a small square. It makes me focus on a specific point because it stands out (and I can see it despite being half blind :) ).

View attachment 145642

🤷‍♂️ I have no idea lol. If I had to guess I'd say +/-50lbs. It was a fun project but I didn't want to put money into getting the right tools for the job and never measured the draw weight. It took me quite a while but only cost basically the cost of the board and some wood glue, maybe $20. Then I bought a proper string for like $15. I'd like to do it again with better wood eventually.

If I had some good heavy arrows I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it within normal longbow ranges, but I'm sure it won't last forever.

Regarding eye dominance, I’m cross dominant too and ended up switching hands to match dominant eye. My groups tightened up almost immediately after doing so.

1) In trad instinctive shooting, both eyes open. There is no aiming, look at target, eye and mind work automatically to put bow hand on target. Instinctive shooting is like throwing a ball to someone.
2) A dozen — hunting, 4 broad heads, 1 judo
3) Bow quiver, hard to keep broad-heads sharp in a back quiver
4) Whatever distance you can keep 5 arrows in 3-4 inch circle
5) ???

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back