Minnesota's Batting Cage Buck(s)...

Bucnutz.wis

Got this in an email yesterday - not sure how old it is... but sure is interesting.

Incredible Story from Chanhassen, MN!

Alright boys,

If I wasn't there, I would not have believed this. Last night I was helping my neighbor Steve clear off the pond behind his house to make an ice rink for the kids. Steve's house is up on a hill and behind his house there is a wooded tree line before the pond. There is an old batting cage at the bottom of the hill tucked next to the trees that has netting to keep the balls in.

A few days ago, Steve's wife told Steve that there was a dead deer tangled in the netting. After clearing the pond we went over to the cage to check it out. We found a massive non-typical buck tangled in the net.

Check out the curly drop tines in the photo. As we were cutting this buck out, I was getting poked by something in the deep snow. I reached down and grabbed the rack of another huge 10-point buck that also became tangled in the netting and died at the same time! I am guessing they had been there for a week or so.

They probably were walking along the trail together at night and bumped into the black netting and panicked. I am sure they thrashed and tried to run, but in doing so became even more locked in thus sealing their fate. They were so entangled that it took 20 minutes each to cut them free.

The coyotes got the hindquarters of the typical 10-pointer but both bucks are in good enough shape that Steve is going to have both bucks mounted. I am guessing both of the bucks were 6-year olds and probably 200+ pounds each - we dragged both of them 200 yards in knee-deep snow. I will forward the pictures of the other buck once I get them. Unbelievable!!

Lanny

Attachments

• batting_cage_buck[1].jpg
    batting_cage_buck[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 610
  • batting_cage_buck_2[1].jpg
    batting_cage_buck_2[1].jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 508
  • Batting_cage_buck_Steve[1].jpg
    Batting_cage_buck_Steve[1].jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 509
  • Batting_cage_non-typical[1].jpg
    Batting_cage_non-typical[1].jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 580
At least you were able to keep your beer cold.

Cool looking bucks

I am thinking that maybe this net should be removed now.

Nemont

Wow! I would love to see bucks around my batting cage. Unfortunatly all I ever see in there other than my kids is a blind and def 12 year old black lab.

CABugle

This is close to my house..well less than 5 miles. I knew there were some giants in Chan...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back