Yeti GOBOX Collection

Minnesota 2019 Season

Cut out a bit early today to scout the park for next weeks hunt. We have to send coordinates to the hunt coordinator by Saturday so I needed to get it done. I had an idea where I wanted to go based on last years zone stand sights and success.

My hopeful location was a short ways off the paved trail towards the lake. The trail is open during the hunt, and from my experience last year the trail users had zero impact on deer movement. I walked in and found two spots, the most promising of which lies at the convergence of trails between two sloughs. Needing to make a decision I walked back by both locations and made my choice. We aren’t allowed to move our stands during the hunt weekend, so here’s hoping it’s a good one!

Stand setup is next Thursday and the hunt begins on Friday. I really enjoyed this hunt last year and am absolutely looking forward to it again!

I was able to sneak out of work a little early yesterday for an evening hunt. I was heading back to the limited entry WMA and hunting a slightly different spot based on my observations from the past evening hunt. The bean field is starting to yellow, but still looked like a destination food source. With that in mind I set up a few hundred yards to the north with a good view of an overgrown field.

Evening1.jpeg

I was all set and officially hunting at around 4:40. It was a bit of a hot, slow evening and I finally spotted a deer around 6:30. A lone doe popped into view at my 11 o'clock about 80 yards out. She slowly made her way along the brush and I lost her behind that small tree. When she didn't pop out I got curious and brought up my binos to have a look. It took me a second, but through the tree and brush I finally spotted two ears moving around. She had bedded down about 50 yards, directly in front of me and was facing away! With shooting hours ending at 7:45 I was hopeful I'd be able to wait her out.

I kept tabs on her for the rest of the night in about 15 minute increments. She was perfectly content to be laying there in the shade, and the wind was perfect so that my scent was not an issue. Around 7:15, knowing that my time was getting short, I decided to try bleating at her to get her up. I hit the call a few times and it didn't bother her one bit. Finally, she rose from her bed at about 7:30 and started making her way straight away. She eventually turned back and made her way across my face, but stayed out of range and obscured by brush. I was able to snap a picture of her in the waning light as she meandered over toward the field.

Deer.jpeg

After giving her about 10 minutes to clear the area, I packed up and left. I've never had a deer bed so close to me while hunting, so this was a really, really cool experience.

Fun times. A few years ago I had a little buck bed underneath my stand, and I didn't want to blow him out to alarm other deer so I thought I'd just wait for him to leave, only he didn't. No pee bottle and I was beginning to calculate how much longer I could bear my extremely full bladder - maybe 2-3 hours had passed. Finally the landowner's son came driving by on a nearby tractor path and the deer ran off. I walked over to thank him and he was apologetic, thinking he screwed up my hunt. He didn't seem to understand that he had done me a huge favor! The pic it looks like the buck is staring at me, but he's actually looking past my stand - he never knew I was there.

10-22-14 020.JPG

Sunday morning I headed for an area along the river that I'd scouted in the summer. The pinch point I was heading towards was about a mile in, so I made sure I got there in plenty of time. As I was making my way through the woods I had to wade through a few small flooded depressions. No problem, I thought, as they weren't that deep. As I approached the last little wash before climbing up to the higher ground I heard a loud smack or splash. I stopped briefly trying to identify the sound...beavers. I was walking right on the river bank so they didn't really surprise me too much. However, when my flashlight finally hit the little wash it was apparent that it wasn't so little anymore!

The river was high enough that it flooded out creating a flowing creek about 30 feet across. A quick evaluation showed that there was no way I was crossing this without waders. I paused to survey my options and decided to walk along the water looking for a crossing. After about 20 or 30 yards it was apparent this was a lost cause. This was definitely not an issue I had anticipated. I was already about 45 minutes from legal shooting so rather than fumble around in the dark, I decided to climb up a tree next to me and see what happens. Confidence wasn't high and I had no clue what this area looked like in the daylight, but at least I was hunting.

Once daylight broke I got my first view of the location and it was actually pretty cool! I had beavers swimming nearby as well as wood ducks. About 7:30 I caught movement from my center right, and a lone deer meandered along the flooded wash in my direction. It stopped to get a drink about 40 yards in front of me, but obscured by brush. After getting it's fill it turned and walked up the creek, directly away from me and out of the area. I ended up getting down around 9:30 and heading home without any further sightings. I was pretty pleased at the way the morning turned out having set up blind and in the dark.

Morning.jpg

Looks like a really cool spot worth some more scouting! Deer love to cross on beaver dams as well, if you can find the dam you might find their main crossing.

Looks like a really cool spot worth some more scouting! Deer love to cross on beaver dams as well, if you can find the dam you might find their main crossing.
Unfortunately the beavers aren't the reason this area was flooded, just the high water from the river. Best as I could tell, they were just using the floodwaters to get closer to their food source!

Period 1 for the MBRB hunt was this weekend, and I left work Thursday at noon with plenty of excitement to hang my stand. Since I was just attaching my climber to the tree and trimming a few small limbs, I was in and out within an hour. I was debating whether or not to hunt that afternoon and ultimately decided not to so I could prepare for Friday's hunt. I shot my bow a bit and got my bag packed for the stand; I was ready.

Friday morning had some rain in the forecast but when my alarm went off at 4:25 am it was looking like it'd miss us. I had Friday off work and was going to hunt somewhere, even if they wouldn't let us in the park due to weather. Fortunately, that was an unfounded worry as I was signed in and all set up by 5:40 am. Listening to the woods wake up around me is something I genuinely enjoy and this morning was no different. A flock of geese roosting on the nearby lake started making noise just prior to daybreak, wood ducks whistling around in the early morning, and a bald eagle screeching created quite the cacophony.

Pano.jpg

Once it got light enough to see, I had an untold number of squirrels scurrying around my stand. They made for interesting viewing, but I was hoping for something a little more "deer" looking.

I had brought my lunch and a book along with me and decided to hunt all day. I typically struggle mightily with all day sits, so this was going to test my resolve. About 11 am I decided to eat and do a little reading. Lunch was fine, but my book was interrupted a while later by crunching coming down the trail over my left shoulder. Slowly slipping the book away, I peeked over and saw the culprit...a hen turkey.

The squirrels stayed busy all day and in between watching them I managed to read Steve Rinella's Buffalo book cover to cover. Friday ended with no deer sightings, 13 hours on stand, and me in a really positive mental space having sat all day. I've been on a keto-ish diet (no carbs) and have dropped 30 lbs thus far. I am convinced that helped me stay comfortable sitting all day.

My 4:25 am alarm on Saturday was met with much less enthusiasm than the day before. This was the best day weather-wise of the three and would be a cool, crisp and clear morning. As I walked to my stand I marveled at the stars in the cloudless sky. Back on stand at 5:40 am, I settled in for what I hoped would be an eventful morning.

Sat.png

Day broke again with geese and woodies followed by squirrels - lots of them. If they were legal quarry on this hunt I would have a pot full. The morning was beautiful, and the only other form of life I had near me was a lone raccoon that waddled by about 8:30 am. I had a commitment in the afternoon that would keep me out of the woods, so when I finally climbed down at 9:30 that was the end of my Saturday hunt.

NoPan.jpg

Sunday's alarm erupted with exactly zero enthusiasm - I was tired and there was no changing that. As I was working my way through a cup of coffee and feeding the dogs I popped open my email and found a message from the hunt coordinator. It was already raining and they had called off the early morning hunt, with things resuming at 8 am. I was thinking about hunting a different property in the morning prior to going into the park. I ultimately decided to crawl back in bed and not bother hunting for an hour, then switching locations.

Sun.png

Back up at 6:45 am I was getting dressed and on my way. I climbed into my stand at 8 am and experienced much of the same. Tons of squirrels and no deer. I ultimately climbed down around 10 am and pulled my stand. With rain forecasted to arrive later in the afternoon, this would be the end for me.

All in all we harvested 6 does as a group, which is awesome. Period 2 is at the end of October and I'm looking forward to scouting for another stand location for that weekend. The one thing I have going for me is the mental note that yes, I can sit all day! I am thinking this will be very helpful for this next session as we get closer to the rut!

Sunday's alarm erupted with exactly zero enthusiasm - I was tired and there was no changing that. As I was working my way through a cup of coffee and feeding the dogs I popped open my email and found a message from the hunt coordinator. It was already raining and they had called off the early morning hunt, with things resuming at 8 am. I was thinking about hunting a different property in the morning prior to going into the park. I ultimately decided to crawl back in bed and not bother hunting for an hour, then switching locations.

View attachment 115801

Back up at 6:45 am I was getting dressed and on my way. I climbed into my stand at 8 am and experienced much of the same. Tons of squirrels and no deer. I ultimately climbed down around 10 am and pulled my stand. With rain forecasted to arrive later in the afternoon, this would be the end for me.

All in all we harvested 6 does as a group, which is awesome. Period 2 is at the end of October and I'm looking forward to scouting for another stand location for that weekend. The one thing I have going for me is the mental note that yes, I can sit all day! I am thinking this will be very helpful for this next session as we get closer to the rut!
Well I sure hope you get rewarded for all the time and effort you’re putting in this season!

I did one full day sit in a stand in MN when I was 16...interesting to see the sun track in the sky but my biggest takeaway is that I would probably never replicate this experience.

I knew Saturday would be dicey but decided to set my alarm anyways and hope the forecasts were wrong. One peak at the radar after waking up proved them very, very correct. The morning was certainly a washout, and it didn't look good for the evening either. We have gotten more rain this year than I can remember, and Saturday was no exception. Nevertheless, it was a good day for errands.

Sunday's weather was looking much better and I was up before my alarm. I contemplated where I would go as I fed the dogs and ultimately decided on an area that I hunted a month earlier. The stiff west wind would be in my face there, and would blow my scent right back from where I came. Perfect.

sun.jpg

I was in the tree by 5:30 am and ready for first light at 6:45. I was happy to have brought a few extra layers as the wind was really whipping through the draw. Once comfortable, I settled in and waited for what I hoped would be a productive morning. I sat until 9:30 without seeing a single living creature. Hungry, I decided to get down and head home. As I was walking out I crested a small hill in the trail and was greeted by a doe standing at the bottom. She bolted at my sight, but at least I wasn't heading home completely skunked!

We have some impending weather (rain/snow) forecasted for this weekend so I decided to cut out of work a little early for an evening sit. A south east wind had me heading for a spot that I know well and have had good success in past years. As I made my way to the tree something just looked different. I knew I was in the right spot, but things were off. I arrived in the clearing over which I would be hunting to find the large maple growing dead center had fallen over, directly into my tree. No wonder things looked weird. To fully round out the situation, another hunter had left a stand hanging on the opposite edge - a no-no on public in MN.

savage.jpg

I had limited time, so rather than stomp around to another spot I decided to hunt the clearing anyways and scurried up a different tree. I mentioned earlier on that this is my first season using a saddle rather than a climber. Situations like these really allow the equipment to shine, as I would not have been able to hunt this area with a climber due to limbed trees.

I was set by 4:30 pm for what I hoped was a productive evening ahead of the weather system. Unfortunately my 2.5 hours in the woods would pass with nothing to show except a few squirrels. No matter, as it was certainly better than spending that last hour at my desk dreaming of hunting!

Are you hunting close the cities? Or way up north? I think you need to find a different area. I would suggest you try the transition zone from big woods to ag in MN. Roughly the area just north of I94. To sit even once without seeing a deer would drive me nuts. There are many areas where you should see multiple deer in every sit even on public land. I greatly admire your perseverance! You not seeing deer is driving me crazy though!

Are you hunting close the cities? Or way up north? I think you need to find a different area. I would suggest you try the transition zone from big woods to ag in MN. Roughly the area just north of I94. To sit even once without seeing a deer would drive me nuts. There are many areas where you should see multiple deer in every sit even on public land. I greatly admire your perseverance! You not seeing deer is driving me crazy though!

I hunt the public land in the metro zone. I'm basically a weekend hunter with a few days here and there that I can get out during the weekday. That tends to keep me pretty close to home with all the others around here!

I do have plans to venture a little farther south at some point this year to try some of the bluff country down along the river. I need to make that more of a priority instead of thinking "next time".

MN_Bowhunter4 maybe you said it in an early post and I missed it but it looks like your hunting out of a saddle? How do you like it, if you are, and what kind?
I am, yes. I have the Mantis and use wild edge steps and predator platform. It definitely takes some getting used to, practice and comfort wise. Coming from a climber, this thing is great. Many more options for trees, and the packability is huge for me too as I hunt public almost exclusively. I'm definitely sold.

I hunt the public land in the metro zone. I'm basically a weekend hunter with a few days here and there that I can get out during the weekday. That tends to keep me pretty close to home with all the others around here!

I do have plans to venture a little farther south at some point this year to try some of the bluff country down along the river. I need to make that more of a priority instead of thinking "next time".
I can give you some places to check out.

The wind was really whipping around Saturday, but it was coming from the WSW which was perfect for a location that I'd marked but hadn't yet hunted. After letting the rain and snow subside I was headed to my chosen location at 3:00 pm. This would be my first venture into this area and I wasn't sure what I'd find, but things looked good on OnX.

I arrived at the parking lot to find that one of the fields in the area was soybean, and another corn. The area I was heading to was a decent sized, woody hill in between them. After working my way to the area I was pleased to find the area had been thinned by the county, and all that was left was scattered oaks and other hardwoods. I worked my way about halfway up the hill and found a good tree that would keep the wind in my face. I was up, set and ready by 4:00 pm.

hill.jpg

The area was criss-crossed with deer trails and I had a good feeling. My only concern was the wind would keep the deer in the cover, which I assumed to be the corn about 100 yards in front of me. Despite the wind my layers were keeping me focused and in the game. About 6:30 pm I picked up movement from my right and it was a lone doe working up the trail from the soybean field. She had two choices, left and come by me at 10 yards, or right and angle away toward the corn. She chose the latter and did so with a haste that did not provide any shot opportunities. The next half hour would pass with no activity, and I was down for the night.

In other news, scouting for MBRB second period is officially open and I plan to get out for a look after work this week. I'm hoping to find another promising spot to move to, since I was completely skunked in the first period. I plan to check out an area I hunted last year to see if the sign is still there and worth sitting over for the last three days of the hunt.

Back