Yeti GOBOX Collection

Minimum caliber

Bambistew

So thinking down the road just a few short years... since we now have a youth sheep season. I'm thinking about picking up a Montana in 223 for the boy to use on his first sheep hunt, and also for dad to play around around with. Other than the obvious zero recoil, I like the fact that the drop is nearly identical to many standard hunting cartridges. Cheap to shoot, easy to load, not really sure what's not to like about the 223? I would think it could be more than adequate for blacktail and dall sheep given shortish range and quality bullets? Does anyone have any experience on big game with a 223? My only 22cal experience was with a 22-250 on antelope and deer. Works well if the bullet is right.

I've killed a truck load of deer/lope and a couple elk with a 243, so I know what it's capable of, but don't want to step up quite that far. I still remember the first time I touched off a 243 on an animal (coyote), I was 11yo, and it was the first and only time I was scope bit... I'm talking about a 6-7yo kid here. A 243, while its light recoiling, may be a bit much for a little guy, and I'm not sure it really offers much more in the way of killing capability once the bullet weight is down sized and the power reduced? If he's big enough to shoot a 243, he's big enough for something a big bigger, such as the 260 in the closet with his name on it.

Just musing a bit, hunting rams a week before the general season starts would be a pretty neat experience for everyone involved, even if we have to share a tag. Will make the pack out a bit easier too. :)

I personally don't have experience, but I know a guy... For real though a good friend got his daughter a single shot 223 for Texas size deer. Matched the correct bullet it did the job, 1 shot drop! As long as your son is confident in his ability, and you are confident in him and the bullet, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

A .223 with bonded bullets can do some pretty impressive stuff.

I had the opportunity to jimmy with my son in law's 22-250 while mounting and zeroing one of Pat's VX-3's. That thing is fun as hell to shoot and very near as accurate with factory or recipe loads. Pretty cool to watch the poi as it happens. Honestly though Ivan, a 243 doesn't seem that much of a stouter punch to me.

Wind will be the enemy. That's where a .243 would be a benefit. If you go the .223 route, I'd find a rifle twisted for the heavies
mtmuley

I'd go 223 and if my boys were right handed and I could afford it would consider the Montana. Be aware, it's twisted 1-9" so may not shoot the super long bullets. If you want an 1-8" twist, the Ruger American and some of the Tikkas come with it for a bit of a weight penalty over the Montana.

I've killed one big game animal with a 223. A doe pronghorn at 175yds with a 55gr Rem PSP bullet. Complete penetration and she only went maybe 20yds. Better bullets are out there than that. For the distance I think you'll be limited a kid to, I can't see it not working. Likewise, he'll be able to do a lot of practice with it compared to the larger cartridges. If my state allowed .22 centerfires for deer, that's what my boys would be getting.

I've killed a couple pronghorn, and 5 deer with a .223. Using 55 and 60 grn Hornady bullets, it killed them as fast as any other rifle caliber I've used.

I was living in a target rich environment at the time, and did some experimenting with this exact topic. I saw little difference in recovery distance between a .223 and .270 win. 338 rum did however, consistently drop whitetail does faster.

bambistew, I know a guy that will cut you the heaviest mono bullet you could want. Just the ticket for a fast twist .22 centerfire used on big game. mtmuley

bambistew, I know a guy that will cut you the heaviest mono bullet you could want. Just the ticket for a fast twist .22 centerfire used on big game. mtmuley

This brings up a thought. I love my 223 but if I were to buy it all over again I would look for a little bit faster twist. Imo 1in9-11 would be ideal for a "big game" 223 shooting 60-70gr premium lead bullets or my choice would be a 55gr ttsx at 3200fps

Keep in mind the likely 0 margin of error for bad shots and the likelihood of his sheep running off of a cliff even when fatally wounded.

Lucky kid...

I would have no qualms about putting a bonded or a mono bullet through the shoulder of a sheep. I am assuming that a young hunter would be limiting him/herself to reasonable ranges, i.e. 300 yards and in.

I've seen what mono bullets from a .243 will do to elk.

You're killing me Bambi! Is this thread really about min caliber or are you just prepping us southies for pictures of your kid with a broomed off ram? ;)Must admit I'm jealous and excited for what you will be posting up in the future. I like pictures of dead snow white sheep. For what it's worth I'm fond of the 243 but have killed hoofed critters with 22 cal's in the past.

Is this thread really about min caliber or are you just prepping us southies for pictures of your kid with a broomed off ram? ;)Must admit I'm jealous and excited for what you will be posting up in the future.

If he was a few years older he'd get to shoot a highly coveted Chugach ram this fall.

Our youth opportunity is pretty cool. Any youth under 17 can hunt on a draw tag of a parent/mentor/guardian. If under 10 they can't have their own tags/license but can hunt on their parent/mentor/guardian's tag and bag limit, once they reach 10 they can get all their own tags.

Thanks for the replies. Always wanted a 223, but didn't have the "need" for one. I now have a valid excuse.

My mom always used a .223 and I don't recall a story of her ever losing a buck. I remember the guys talking about long blood trails and not having enough knock-down power, but then there was my mom getting it done again and again. Having grown up thinking of the .223 as a standard mule deer caliber, I didn't really think twice when my kids wanted to hunt with one. I've watched my kids and my neighbors' harvest 8 muleys with that gun and I've never been disappointed with bullet performance. None of them have ever gone more than 100 yards. I can't say the same thing about my bigger calibers.

My .223 Tikka is a deer killing machine. I use the 55 gr. TTSX and the 65 gr. GK inside 250 yards with no worry.

My AR also works nicely on filling multiple doe tags.

shot a lot of red deer with a 222,,id say a faster twist and the 60 gr partition would be more than good enough

Have you put any thought in to getting a .243, and using light loads? That way you have the case capacity to add some yardage when he grows in to it more.

If you reload, you can make any caliber work. The 30-06 with reduced loads is a great kids gun.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back