Mid-day rut elk tactics

prhunter

Just wondering what tactics do you all use while hunting elk during the rut around mid-day.

Do you cow call? Glass? Stand hunt? Locator bugle? etc....

Dark nasty north facing slope timber, real slow into wind
Nothing personal, but in my experience and opinion this is an exceedingly bad idea that does a lot of harm to your chances of actually getting close to elk when they are up and moving and vulnerable. Every fall I see elk get blasted out of their bedding areas by goofballs that think they can sneak up on them bedded in the dark timber, and admittedly I've done it myself. These are not deer that run a quarter mile and forget about you, elk might not stop until they're in the next county and often won't return for days. I'm not saying this can't be done, but unless you actually see an elk bed down and can carefully plan a stalk it's a fool's errand and can quickly turn thriving mountainside echoing with bugles into ghost town.

Hunt them in the morning and late-afternoon/evening and you'll have more encounters and legitimate opportunities.

No offense intended.

Nothing personal, but in my experience and opinion this is an exceedingly bad idea that does a lot of harm to your chances of actually getting close to elk when they are up and moving and vulnerable. Every fall I see elk get blasted out of their bedding areas by goofballs that think they can sneak up on them bedded in the dark timber, and admittedly I've done it myself. These are not deer that run a quarter mile and forget about you, elk might not stop until they're in the next county and often won't return for days. I'm not saying this can't be done, but unless you actually see an elk bed down and can carefully plan a stalk it's a fool's errand and can quickly turn thriving mountainside echoing with bugles into ghost town.

Hunt them in the morning and late-afternoon/evening and you'll have more encounters and legitimate opportunities.

No offense intended.

I got a couple walls full of "exceedingly bad ideas" everybody does it different thats the beauty of it, find what works for you and capitlize on it. I cant tell you number of times i have put sneak on and got close enough to smell them, blasted a bugle and had a bulls come running. Example: one of my bulls last year got stuck at 1130 just this way, he was bedded in timber with cows(worked him early then he went quite as it warmed up) got wind right, snuck in close to where i thought they were and when i bugled it pissed him off being so close...he died! I admit i bump elk sometimes, it happens but atleast i tried and usually they dont run "to next county", if they bust i go find more but history has proven to me that i am more likely to kill a elk where they are at, not in camp or taking nap. He asked what tactics we use to HUNT mid-day so i answered, you go ahead and rest while i pack out my bull...

Eat some lunch and take a nap.
What He said !
And never blow a cow call when your having lunch you found at the bottom of your pack
MY buddy found an old larry jones call in his pack saying as he blew it he never like this call and from no where a decent 5x5 crashed in on top of us stoped within 10 yrds blew up and out of their when he saw us
scared the crap out of us and laughing I told him, well he sure liked the sound

I got a couple walls full of "exceedingly bad ideas" everybody does it different thats the beauty of it, find what works for you and capitlize on it. I cant tell you number of times i have put sneak on and got close enough to smell them, blasted a bugle and had a bulls come running. Example: one of my bulls last year got stuck at 1130 just this way, he was bedded in timber with cows(worked him early then he went quite as it warmed up) got wind right, snuck in close to where i thought they were and when i bugled it pissed him off being so close...he died! I admit i bump elk sometimes, it happens but atleast i tried and usually they dont run "to next county", if they bust i go find more but history has proven to me that i am more likely to kill a elk where they are at, not in camp or taking nap. He asked what tactics we use to HUNT mid-day so i answered, you go ahead and rest while i pack out my bull...
I knew somebody would post after me and say - well, I killed 28 bulls last year doing that, with one arrow (hyperbole intended as friendly ribbing). As I mentioned, not saying it can't be done, and I recognize some have success at this, but certainly not most. My whole point is that the vast majority of the time this method results in nothing more than running elk out of the area and making them more skittish and pressured. Everybody's going to hunt how they want and try the things they want, and everyone and every place is different. But most hunters are going to do well to avoid this method.

I would get set up on their travel route in and out of the bedding area and wait. If you bust 'em out of the bedding area they will be gone.
If conditions are right sure you can get in their bedroom and maybe take a bull, or spook them out of the area and end up looking for other vocal elk to hunt.
When they are bedded about the only thing they are concentrating on is if anything is trying to sneak in on them, they aren't feeding, their lying about chewing a cud and listening.

Drink red bulls and fuggin send it!!! Midday i pull out all the stops... YOLO

I’d find a place to glass where it’s not likely that you’ll get busted. Somewhere that you can see more then one valley. Then have a sandy and a nap.

I’d find a place to glass where it’s not likely that you’ll get busted. Somewhere that you can see more then one valley. Then have a sandy and a nap.
I think this is the best advice above, the important part is making sure your scent isn't going into somewhere elk are hanging out, nothing clears elk out faster than people wandering around midday...
I've killed quite a few elk midday, and I have also have learned the hard way that pushing around blind is a good way to ruin your area, if you have to hunt midday make sure you have a good reason or a plan B.
if there is a good number of elk using a wallow and you can sit it without them winding you this can be a good tactic, most wallows that actually get used have winds that make this tough...or if you are glassing and see an opportunity (lone bull wandering across the entire basin?) you can jump into action if the odds are good, if they aren't you have a gameplan for the evening or next morning...

and I recognize some have success at this, but certainly not most.
The same can be said for every other hour in the day as well. People that hunt like idiots are going to blow elk out regardless of what time of day it is.

You won't find me bypassing the middle of the day for sure.

If you know where they're bedding and its still early in the season I'd cover exits and nearby wallows. Towards the end if they're still around I'll go in after them but its not an easy thing to do. You have to be completely camoed and as scent free as possible. The most important thing is to move like death itself and that's very hard for most people to do. Still hunting is a real discipline and very taxing. Take one or 2 steps then stop, look, listen then repeat thousands of times more. Its physically exhausting but it pays off big time; maybe. If I'm doing that and get busted ill drop right down to the ground and crawl to watch it. I've had deer and elk just look and look some more, and even come over to investigate what that thing is on the ground. I've had critters come over to sniff me and feed up to me. Sometimes they'll bark or alarm and move off. Or they just trot a few yards then wander away. Even when one alarms just hit the dirt. The others will look around but then if they don't see a threat they'll usually settle back in. If you go into the steep deep dark timber and hunt like you're in open country fughetaboutit. An elks hearing is 100X more sensitive then yours and they'll be up and gone and if you're lucky all you'll see is white rumps jumping stumps. :confused: Can't say how many times I've watched hunters move into the thick stuff and bump a herd out and not even know it, then come out and go off in a different direction. Meanwhile the elk moved into the next stand of timber and bedded down again. Bingo! (y)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back