Michigan Opener

Ben Lamb

I'm sitting in my office today but hitting some spots close to home tomorrow looking for some drummers & mudbats. The dogs are suspicious and sense the change in the weather, their collars are charged & ready to beep. The gun is oiled & cleaned. The vest is loaded with #6's.

Who is getting out? Excited to be back in the woods, swearing at the brambles.

1663250396808.png

It's not unexpected to find someone has beaten you to a bird cover. What is unusual and a first for me is arriving to a spot and seeing a college professor and his entire bird watching class getting ready to embark on a lesson. I asked which way they were going to see if it was safe to go a different direction, he wasn't sure which way they were going. He wanted to know why I asked. I explained that I was going hunting for grouse & woodcock. I wish I could share with you the gasps and looks of horror on half of the male & female student's faces!😁
I didn't go far. Hopefully I'll find a bird or two & they'll hear me shoot🙂

Jit found a group of 3 of which I managed a nice tender young one. Found 2 more together but no shots available. Good opening morning.🙂20220915_085212.jpg

I won’t make the opener, but I hope to spend a day or two over the line this fall. Hopefully there’s a few birds north of Land O’Lakes come late October.

Some new upland pants and high brass #6s (if I can find them) are on the shopping list yet. Good luck!

We had a blast yesterday but the black dog paid for it with a weak rear end the rest of the day. Bad enough that she couldn't get up from the hardwood without some help a few hours after the hunt. Poor kid is only 5. This shouldn't be happening. Going to be an expensive fall figuring her out. I can't not take her, she lives for this.

PXL_20220917_124851483.jpg

Ben,

I would love to share a hunt like that with a nice old side by side. In Montana, as you well know, our grouse are spread out through pine forests and we don’t see the trees and undergrowth that you have there.

I’m not complaining, I wouldn’t trade Montana for any other state, but the experience of the different setting is sure inviting.

Beautiful area, but I will continue to enjoy it from here…

32710AA9-6086-4E77-A296-44D414CD82AA.jpeg
C5D49C87-A2EA-4FD3-B522-9CC72C01D3B0.jpeg
28EC330C-88B0-49E2-8797-60279F51AF76.jpeg

Come on out, @shrapnel. Plenty of room at the inn! Early is good for grouse, woodcock & you can get in on some salmon fishing as well.

Ben,

I would love to share a hunt like that with a nice old side by side. In Montana, as you well know, our grouse are spread out through pine forests and we don’t see the trees and undergrowth that you have there.

I’m not complaining, I wouldn’t trade Montana for any other state, but the experience of the different setting is sure inviting.

View attachment 240201
View attachment 240202
View attachment 240203

Ben,

View attachment 240201
View attachment 240202
View attachment 240203
Seems like us bird hunters are always longing to see the next cover. I dream of traipsing the mountains for the dusky grouse you all have.

Back