Yeti GOBOX Collection

Michigan grouse

Flushed several grouse on Monday but they were in real thick stuff.Never even took a shot.They flushed a long ways off ,must have had some pressure this fall .

Found a few Grouse one daya couple weeks ago but this week we have only flushed one in two big days of hunting.

Everybody, their brother and cousins hunt the U.P. now. What few birds are there get hammered.

Next trip come to MN. Best grouse hunting in the nation. Avoid national forest land because the tree huggers in Washington banned all logging. Hit state, county & WMA's. I bet there is 1-2 million + acres of public land that never see's a grouse hunter all season. Nobody grouse hunts anymore.

Oh...don't forget paper company land also. Usually very good habitat. Blandin & Potlach r the 2 biggest paper land holders in MN.

Reviving an old thread here, has anyone been to the UP in the last few years for Grouse? I'm planning to take my Brittany up this fall

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_114432.jpg
    IMG_20220807_114432.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 2
Reviving an old thread here, has anyone been to the UP in the last few years for Grouse? I'm planning to take my Brittany up this fall

I haven't, but friends who have report decent numbers. I think the midwest in general is in an up cycle. Hoping to get up there this fall for a weekend or so.

Good to hear! I was reading last two years were supposed to be good.

I'm planning a week trip, I see MI offers a 7 day nonresident tag.

Not the UP, but I've hunted in Northern WI the past two years with a group of guys and we have done pretty well. We are headed back this fall. We did better in '21 than '20 for grouse but I believe that was more based on knowledge, where to look/hunt and what type of cover we should be in. We utilize a grouse focused mapping platform, Scout N Hunt, that I would really recommend to anyone doing a dedicated week long grouse hunt. One state is $65 for the year. It lets you see a huge amount of information on where logging cuts are and when they were cut. It won't replace OnX or GoHunt for navigation purposes, but I have found it to be a game changer for locating coverts in the grouse woods.

Getting closer to the season! I'm looking at Mid October to come do a 7 day hunt with my pup. Anyone else have any pointers or recommendations?

Getting closer to the season! I'm looking at Mid October to come do a 7 day hunt with my pup. Anyone else have any pointers or recommendations?

This:

If you're driving up from the lower, don't pass up the Huron-Manistee National Forest either.

Spent some time in the southern end of the Manistee this summer with some buddies camping and looking for birds. Don't be afraid to hunt the public/private boundaries (canopy dusturbance/young growth). In one area we found a food plot on private right below this huge ridge we were on and it felt like we were in a horror movie with all the jump scares.

@Brauee20 that sounds like a dream! I'm just really hoping to get the pup on some birds. I don't mind the time and drive, just don't want it to be a bust. There's no birds left here in WV, and the stocked pheasants in PA are sparse and flush like a brick with wings. She's got drive for days and a great nose, she deserves to get on some good birds.

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I live in IN and make yearly trips west to pheasant hunt. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with grouse hunting in Michigan. Are there any public areas to hunt? What could I expect as far as the number of birds? My hunting buddies and I have very good dogs, Just looking for a place closer to home to chase wild birds.

Thanks
Haven't even read this whole post yet and it tickled my funny bone.Guy lives in Indana and makes yearly trips west to pheasant hunt. Wondering if anyone has any experience with hunting grouse in Michigan! had to look that up and yep, Michigan is west of Indana! :) Sorry to be a butt about that just really cracked me up soon as I saw it. I read about deer and elk hunter's going west to hunt deer and elk and the though that always get's me is that the rifle and cartridge they've been shooting deer with so many years at home suddenly becomes incapabile of killig a western deer! :) Now I read the whole thing and guy's just looking for something closer to home! Don't blame him one bit. Would like to one day take a trip to Michigan and hunt with a couple nephews that do hunt back there. Hey hoosier_pharmer I apologize but then I can be a butt now and then!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back