mexican Wolf

bigbuckhughes

Saw on the news about the first litter of pups born to newly released pair. Didn't catch where this was at. Any info on this?

I read through some of the links in Zach's google search-- I guess this is news because it happened in Mexico. Wild born pups are definitely nothing new in Arizona and New Mexico.

If you're interested in info on the introduction project on our side of the border, here's some links:

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/es/mexicanwolf/index.cfm

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/es/wolf_reintroduction.shtml

The project is about to change, big time. They're looking to at least triple the minimum desired number, add more introduction sites, and allow them to roam most anywhere they want.

While Bear hunting north of Ruidoso, NM my son and I were treated to one sitting 20 yards from us on a boulder as we waited for a bear. They had a lot of signs trying to make everyone aware of the differences between yotes and wolves. They sorta have a V shaped cape (Mane) on their back.
This would have been 4 or 5 years ago, really rare back then. John

I've spent a lot of time in the Lincoln NF(Ruidoso), and I've never seen any signs or heard any mention of them ever being there. The Gila is a different story.

Interesting...I don't think there were any released on White Sands OR the Lincoln. Not real sure how they could have possibly gotten there.

The problem with relocating wolves is that can relocate themselves several hundred miles from the intended destination. Wild animals follow their own instincts. Look how the orxy spread from White Sands.

Knowing friends that worked for the USFS(during the relocation peaks) and others that ranch up there and having never heard mention of them in the Lincoln from any of them, I still have a really hard time believing that.

And I'm guessing they took all the signs down...I've ridden ALL over that forest from Nogal down to Timberon and I've never seen any signs about them. Seen alot over in the Gila, so I know what signs you're talking about. I've got a few friends that live/hunt up there exclusively and they've never seen these signs either.

Yes Quack I think your guessing. Does it rub you the wrong way when I say I saw something in your backyard that you didn't? I am glad you asked your friends, but that does not change the facts of my post. BTW, Welcome to Hunt Talk. John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back