Metalworking Hunttalkers!

You got my curiosity up as to what I have on hand.
I have a 25# Ranomatic D that says it runs any polarity and is flux core.
#25 lincore 60-0
#10 Postalloy 2832 says Either polarity with any gas.
I guess I'm running out of excuses except it's boring.

You got my curiosity up as to what I have on hand.
I have a 25# Ranomatic D that says it runs any polarity and is flux core.
#25 lincore 60-0
#10 Postalloy 2832 says Either polarity with any gas.
I guess I'm running out of excuses except it's boring.
If they are out of the sealed plastic bag just laying around the shop for years and years, they may give you some troubles dialing in

If they are out of the sealed plastic bag just laying around the shop for years and years, they may give you some troubles dialing in
I have a good size cabinet for rod and wire. I also use sealed rod containers for open cans of rod. I weld too big a variety of crap so I have 3 shitloads of different fillers. There's nothing worse than setting up for a weld with funky consumables. First hand experience unfortunately.

My son just started an arc welding course at the local community College. He's really enjoying it as a filler to break up the boredom with his normal courses. To be fair though, he's already been mig welding and using plasma since he was 10 so he has a bit more knowledge than a newbie. These are some of his daily trinkets he brings home..20230312_205255.jpg

Start with an easier to run rod. 7014 can make you look like a pro. 6013 is also a shallow penetration "butter rod" . I have always preferred 6011 to 6010. 6011 is pretty forgiving.
7018 had me feeling pretty psyched, but the 6010 shamed me.
Looking forward to trying MIG.

7018 had me feeling pretty psyched, but the 6010 shamed me.
Looking forward to trying MIG.
The problem with mig is the weld can look beautiful with almost zero structural value. Just as you think you have mig nailed, run an open root vertical up and the fillets vertical down. When you nailed vertical, see how your open root overhead comes out. Practice practice practice

This thread pushed me to finally give welding a try. I borrowed a buzz box from a family member and used an angle grinder for all my cuts and grinding. It was a rough start and the welds look terrible, but they only need to hold about 300 lbs for the project so I think it should ok (hopefully). I’m glad I finally took the plunge!

800FB8BA-B487-4C35-813C-658038819079.jpeg

This thread pushed me to finally give welding a try. I borrowed a buzz box from a family member and used an angle grinder for all my cuts and grinding. It was a rough start and the welds look terrible, but they only need to hold about 300 lbs for the project so I think it should ok (hopefully). I’m glad I finally took the plunge!

View attachment 269138
I will very respectfully say "no comment". I think that next time practice on something you don't want.

It's all good for a first. It's all about the puddle and the heat. Pushing or pulling. What's it for? 300#'s? I dig it! We all start somewhere and that's not bad for a first crack at it! It's a fun as all heck hobby!

I know it’s really thought, but for a few hours of work I’m just happy I didn’t light anything on fire. I’ll keep practicing and refining things moving forward (I might grind most of the welds out and lay them down again at some point). I am building a 20’ tall tripod tower to drop a 250’ weight from, for a testing project.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back