MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Metalworking Hunttalkers!

Is that a river of chit?
As a young buck, I was offered a position with a Structural Fabrication Co. My first week, I drove a pilot car for a crane to a job site. While there, one of the roughneck type welders yelled down to me to get him a can of Arc Start. I was a Tig welder in school and the owner was paying my way through mechanical drafting and AutoCad to assist with shop detailing.

Long story short, I went his rig and was opening doors left and right... Haha! Then asked another and he got on me saying I was holding up the show "Get the f#$%ing Arc Start to him ASAP! Stop F$%#ing around!"... Still not finding it, I went to the big boss who laughed his head off.

Arc Start - The good, Bad, and the Ugly of great memories. :)

Was intended in pure good humor, @Hem :)

As a young buck, I was offered a position with a Structural Fabrication Co. My first week, I drove a pilot car for a crane to a job site. While there, one of the roughneck type welders yelled down to me to get him a can of Arc Start. I was a Tig welder in school and the owner was paying my way through mechanical drafting and AutoCad to assist with shop detailing.

Long story short, I went his rig and was opening doors left and right... Haha! Then asked another and he got on me saying I was holding up the show "Get the f#$%ing Arc Start to him ASAP! Stop F$%#ing around!"... Still not finding it, I went to the big boss who laughed his head off.

Arc Start - The good, Bad, and the Ugly of great memories. :)

Was intended in pure good humor, @Hem :)
Not uncomfortable acknowledging I know jack chit about welding.

For years we would bust the nuts of newbies and tell them to go to the job trailer and fetch the left-handed joist extender with blue spray paint on the handle.
What goes around, comes around.🤣🤣

Oh geez... Didn't realize the dairy crud was involved in pics as they were slow to load outside my home wifi. Figured "river of chit" to be a quazi response to my Arc Start bit.

Heh! My bad.

Good to see a lot of guys on here welding.

Welding is something that every man should know how to do.

I have welded mig/tig/stick for years and never made a dime doing it. I just wanted to learn how to do it. I like being able to fix my own stuff and not rely on others. Not saying I am any good at any of it, but I know enough to be able to complete small projects and repair broken items (which happens often...).

Welcome to the dairy industry

I had some friends that owned a welding shop in MN and he was talking about quoting a project for the local city sewer. When they went to check it out he said it was obviously sweet corn season. I think he preferred their dairy projects.

I had some friends that owned a welding shop in MN and he was talking about quoting a project for the local city sewer. When they went to check it out he said it was obviously sweet corn season. I think he preferred their dairy projects.
Wow that's brutal! We have a lot of local dairys here that keep me busy all year.

Still on the search for the right jeep to convert to a truck. Should probably put the design on a piece of paper instead of in my brain.

Did weld up a rusty old plow the other day after I broke it on a curb. Be kind, it wasent the easiest thing to weld on.IMG_20230211_185658.jpg

Lincoln has an L-56 wire that is pretty forgiving on dirty steel. It's also a pretty good all around weld anything in any position wire. It's like a cross between 6013 and 6011 rod .

Lincoln has an L-56 wire that is pretty forgiving on dirty steel. It's also a pretty good all around weld anything in any position wire. It's like a cross between 6013 and 6011 rod .
yea i did this fix with a flux lincoln brand .030 wire. Considering the material I was working with I was happy with how well the Lincoln wire was working. This would of been a better job for a stick rig but I only have a MIG.

If this breaks again ill fab up new mounts for it. But I think these welds will hold for simple plowing of my driveway.

I'll guess it's NR-211 wire. It's a very versatile wire comparable to 7018. I run .068 in a suitcase welder for emergency field repairs. It's good stuff!
NR211 is awesome for dirty steel and general purpose welding . I use it on foundation drilling tools with minimal prep and it lays down pretty nice . If any of you are hard facing implements or wear edges and have a big enough squirt gun I highly recommend .045 Performance Alloy wire. If you're using stick, Stoody 31 is probably the best all around rod if it fits your budget.

NR211 is awesome for dirty steel and general purpose welding . I use it on foundation drilling tools with minimal prep and it lays down pretty nice . If any of you are hard facing implements or wear edges and have a big enough squirt gun I highly recommend .045 Performance Alloy wire. If you're using stick, Stoody 31 is probably the best all around rod if it fits your budget.
Your pushing hard face through a squirt gun? I have a couple spools of it but have always used stick. It's good practice for the guys that want to learn to run stringer beads.
A wire that I'm starting to really appreciate is ESAB 7100 series dual shield. I've been running it in .045 and am very happy. I'm going to pick up a 50# in .035.

Are you running it straight polarity or DC reverse? I actually have a butt load of hard face I have been neglecting. Do you run gold gas or get by with co2?
Reverse polarity, shielded Flux core, no gas.

Blue demon, either polarity, I've only tried reverse, no gas and it comes out great.

HardenHelle, reverse polarity, 75/25 gas

Lincor, reverse polarity, 75/25 gas

McKay, reverse polarity, 75/25 gas

Stood wire, haven't tried yet

Expect to have check-cracking in the beads, (purely cosmetic) some of the augers I'm using are subjected to over 90k lbs or rotary torque through solid granite and I've never experienced separation from the parent material.

Wire hardfacing does wear slightly faster than rod, but the ease and speed of reapplying it makes it a win win all the way around.

Back