Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Metal Detectors?

Sytes

Anyone into metal detectors for treasure hunting? There is a television show called Diggers" that has me interested - as a fun hobby.

Diggers | National Geographic Channel

On my hunting / backcountry trips, I have come across a few old broke down cabin forms, some almost completely decayed/grounded... I have found ben franklin type glasses and a very rusty handcuff set among a coin and other odds 'n ends.

I am interested in a lightweight metal detector though many are out there... Some are dirt cheap... $50. Average decent ones from $175-$350. High end up to $1500+...

My fun hobby level $$$ range is in the average level.

Seems 'Whites Coinmaster' is decently rated though I've only found 1 real comprehensive review site for mid level range...
Metal Detector Review 2013 | Best Metal Detectors | Metal Detecting Devices - TopTenREVIEWS

Anyone involved or looked into this - pm or post away.

I always see a few at my BIL's pawn shop. So you might check out the local Pawn Shops starting with a modest one and if you really enjoy it go for a nice set up. John

I use a Whites XLT and wouldnt trade it for anything!!! There are some decent machines out there for not alot of money. I have been detecting for over 25 years and if i were going to recomend a start up detector i would suggest the Garretts Ace 250, they seem to have a real good machine and some great reviews. Check kellycodetectors.com for thier specials. I hope this helps!!! Mace

Minelab and Fisher detectors are great. I have owned both and use both gold and coin detectors.

Check out http://www.gerrysdetectors.com/

Gerry is a detecting guru and will assist in helping you pick the proper detector for your price range/ type of detecting you want to accomplish. His training is the best as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions about my detecting experiences.

Sytes, you are damn lucky! Three different guys giving their opinions and nobody flamed each other. Must be something wrong with them.... I would keep looking if I were you.

I have had the same idea and thats where the GPS comes in to play. If you have the land owner card in your GPS and you bring up points of interest you can find old places where buildings don't even exist.

I used a metal detector on my one year old once to see if she passed the penny she swallowed. We kept checking diapers and after 5 days didn't see anything. So I borrowed a detector to check her out. The savings of using it once that way would have more then offset the cost of purchasing one. (Doctors and x rays are expensive) It turns out she was penny free but I wasn't sure it was working so I taped a penny to her back and used the detector on her front to make sure it was working correctly, which it was. Long story short, we must have missed the penny in her poop.

As there are various types of metal detectors sold in the market, it is really a little difficult to decide which one to choose. However, I personally like the waterproof metal detectors very much in that they can be used in ordinary occasions for metal detecting and also used at beach. It occupies the common functions of most other metal detectors, so i think it is a good choice if you are looking for a metal detector for gold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back