Caribou Gear

Messing up a wet dream - MTFWP big 3 draw

Here's my simple summation based on first-hand experience:

---> low paid State Govt positions don't attract the brightest & highest qualified people, in addition to being led by people who are not qualified to be leading an Agency. If the agency wants to employ qualified people & retain them, they need to raise the salaries that will attract talent.

The agency is not an employer of choice for a number of reasons, with the exception of fish and wildlife biologists because their choices are limited. Make it an agency (employer) of choice, that's how our private company operates and they attract highly qualified talent, pay them well, and retain them, end of story.

---> low paid State Govt positions don't attract the brightest & highest qualified people, in addition to being led by people who are not qualified to be leading an Agency. If the agency wants to employ qualified people & retain them, they need to raise the salaries that will attract talent.

The agency is not an employer of choice for a number of reasons, with the exception of fish and wildlife biologists because their choices are limited. Make it an agency (employer) of choice, that's how our private company operates and they attract highly qualified talent, pay them well, and retain them, end of story.

I'm just not so sure this screw up required "highly qualified talent" to catch.

"How many sheep tags in that unit? Only 20? Oh we drew 40..."

We don't pay very well at the state agency I work for. The first question I ask new technicians is "Can you count?" So far we're 100% on hiring capable candidates there.

Turns out the bold move of having a Friday draw wasn't a good idea after all :geek: (obviously that's not the issue here and I'm being sarcastic). A fine job MTFWP once again!

View attachment 276322

Well, my wife drew one of the ewe tags in question and it just let me buy the license this morning, so they screwed up the supposed "fix" as well.
Huh, why does this not shock me?! Basically nothing in the draw shocks me anymore. I am a statistician and the ridiculousness of the way they do these draws is just dumbfounding. Every step of the way is just a clusterf*ck. This is very simple, I could write a program in a statistics program in an afternoon that would get it right and do all the draws needed.

Anybody checked to see if Jersey Greg's friends are the "extra" tag holders that were allocated in the draw. I can just see the conversation in the office...

"Did Jersey Greg's friend so and and so get this moose tag? What about this friend for sheep?"

FWP Employee "We already did the draw."

"Well add in some more tags, these folks gotta have tags too"

FWP Employee "OK, we can just manufacture another f*ck up"

Exchange of a stack of the rare $250 dollar bills with Jersey Gregs face on it occurs.

I'm just not so sure this screw up required "highly qualified talent" to catch.

"How many sheep tags in that unit? Only 20? Oh we drew 40..."

We don't pay very well at the state agency I work for. The first question I ask new technicians is "Can you count?" So far we're 100% on hiring capable candidates there.
yes you are correct, however if they had proper QC/QA procedures in place that are part of the process, which should have been developed by qualified employees the simple check would have occurred. Either somebody didn't do their job or they just flat out don't have proper QC/QA processes in place, all a result of unqualified staff and not enough oversight, and IMO a result of not attracting the most talented people possible--->salary and being an "employer of choice." Just my opinion for what it's worth

In healthcare, we kill hundreds of Americans annually over simple medication errors similar to what occurred here.

The point system debacle is a bigger reason Hank needs to go than a few ram and bull moose tags. But sure, Hank should have set up better processes.

The ram/bull tags here should be awarded, but deferred to 2024 if needed. Those guys made plans already.

Think carefully before you outsource your jobs from Montana. Kalkomey might be sponsoring the influencer that endorses Kalkomey in the Billings Gazette.

In healthcare, we kill hundreds of Americans annually over simple medication errors similar to what occurred here.

The point system debacle is a bigger reason Hank needs to go than a few ram and bull moose tags. But sure, Hank should have set up better processes.

The ram/bull tags here should be awarded, but deferred to 2024 if needed. Those guys made plans already.

Think carefully before you outsource your jobs from Montana. Kalkomey might be sponsoring the influencer that endorses Kalkomey in the Billings Gazette.
Pay a state programmer 200k to do the job right... nah let's pay Kalkomey 1MM so they can pay their programmer 200k and pocket the other 800k.

Welcome to the world of government contracts, "small government" folks saving the tax payer money 🥴

Pay a state programmer 200k to do the job right... nah let's pay Kalkomey 1MM so they can pay their programmer 200k and pocket the other 800k.

Welcome to the world of government contracts, "small government" folks saving the tax payer money 🥴
And then Gordon Darby (fka Kalkomey) takes some of that $800K to pay the influencing community that helped them get those licensing contracts with glowing reviews in the Billings Gazette and other places.

Not saying it happened, but Gordon Darby has marketing dollars to spend. If Gordon Darby isn't doing it, one of their competitors will.

No one would have thought AZ GFD would have paid influencers, until it was uncovered. A private company like Gordon Darby certainly will - and you won't necessarily be able to file a FOIA to uncover it.

Be careful before asking for your Montana jobs to be outsourced to a private company in Texas/Kentucky.

There isn't a state programmer in the state that works for the government and makes that much. I would know as I am one. Most of the programmers are very lucky if they make $75K. As stated before, this is part of the issue.

But yes your point is spot on. It will cost more, a lot more to have somebody else do it. It could be done a lot cheaper but it won't be through a government contract.

Huh, why does this not shock me?! Basically nothing in the draw shocks me anymore. I am a statistician and the ridiculousness of the way they do these draws is just dumbfounding. Every step of the way is just a clusterf*ck. This is very simple, I could write a program in a statistics program in an afternoon that would get it right and do all the draws needed.

Anybody checked to see if Jersey Greg's friends are the "extra" tag holders that were allocated in the draw. I can just see the conversation in the office...

"Did Jersey Greg's friend so and and so get this moose tag? What about this friend for sheep?"

FWP Employee "We already did the draw."

"Well add in some more tags, these folks gotta have tags too"

FWP Employee "OK, we can just manufacture another f*ck up"

Exchange of a stack of the rare $250 dollar bills with Jersey Gregs face on it occurs.
FWP only adds tags to the sheep draw when they want to try to pinch a guy in the breaks filming sheep hunts.
Who was the Governor when that happened? Asking because it is as irrelevant as who the current Governor is concerning this debacle.

Ow, harsh! Y'all are tough on the newbies here, aren't you? 🤣

I logged in to my account and as of now it's still listing me as successful. It also still shows the license under the items I've purchased for the current year (I paid for it the day results came out). I'm hoping that means I'm in the clear but who knows?

Honestly, what pisses me off the most is that they published that stupid news release before reaching out to the affected tag holders. Now I have to sit here in suspense... and for how long? And if I do get to keep my tag, are they going to reach out to me and confirm that? Or do I just have to wonder for days/weeks? I might just work up my courage and give them a call tomorrow so I can at least get an answer one way or another.

In the meantime I'm going to call up Bass Pro and see if it's too late to cancel my order. Air mattresses, a new BBQ grill, the works...
I'm guessing they are trying to decide how to determine your place in line.

Although some are attracted to government positions for the retirement/health and time off benefits, as well as the "intangible" benefit that it's more difficult to get fired than in the private sector

Last edited:
I was wondering about this - CO did this a couple years ago with Moose tags in the bad Fire areas. Simply moved the successful tagholders to the following year and took that quota out. It's not apples to apples but seems fair for one of the most coveted tags in the country.

“Operator error inputting incorrect quotas was to blame, said Greg Lemon, FWP spokesman. Although the data is double-checked, the errors weren’t caught.
But this. In the year 2023, a public process that can be destroyed by a keying error is so shameful.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back