Merino Wool Base Layers

breaks hunter

I'm tired of freezing my a$$ off on those cold mornings and i do believe its time to get rid of my old cotton long johns and get a good midweight base layer. I've heard merino wool is the best. Any of you fella's much older and wiser than me have any recommendations?

Icebreaker, you cant beat it, but it aint cheap and NEVER wash it in fabric conditioner as my wife did, it ruins it.
Cheers
Richard

I'm curious about this topic too. I have been using under armor the past couple years and it keeps me warm enough but boy does it start to stink after a long hunt. I have been watching the Icebreaker stuff on steepandcheap.com and am curious which type of base layer you all prefer. Wondering what weight is best for an all season base layer and if you like the crew style tops or the half zip ones?

Definitely 1/4 zip. I like midweight, Minus 33 is a good brand too.

This might sound like getting by on the cheap, but if you have a military surplus store anywhere near, you might want to try the long johns our soldiers wear. They're light weight, comfortable, come in two different weights, brownish in color, partial zippered top, and usually go for around $15 per item. My wife even wears and loves them, and no; she doesn't wear combat boots.

Been using Smartwool tops and bottoms for years and the only tiny complaint I have is that after a long day in the field it sure feels good to take them off. They don't itch, but when you take them off a good scratch all over feels mighty fine. I usually wear a soft cotton tshirt for sleeping in and boy that feels good to put on. Like I said, it doesnt really bother you at all when you are wearing it though. Great wicking, great temperature moderation (meaning you stay warm and dont get too hot), and they dont stink at all (some kind of magic I think).

Note that the microlight (or thinnest) weight Smartwool sells is pretty darn thin. You could easily wear that stuff when it is 60 degrees. If I was buying my first pair, it would be their heaviest weight stuff, which isnt all that heavy really.

My first and only merino experience thus far is with the KUIU base layers. I love them. Comfortable, great fit, and don't stink (unless my nose just gets accustomed to my own bad smell, but my wife is not shy about letting me know when I get to stinkin' :) )...BUT not cheap. I have heard good things about Icebreaker and may try that out too this year. Happy hunting!

Thanks so much guys, i appreciate it. Seems to be a lot of good choices. I'm looking forward to not freezing my cheeks anymore :D

I went all merino wool last season and I love it. I went with the KUIU stuff and it's great. Of course that is the only merino I've tried so I have nothing to compare it too, but it is definitely high quality gear. I wear it every time I hunt regardless of the temperature.

I love merino layers, such an amazing fabric despite all the "high-tech" stuff that is out there. I have KUIU, but there are so many out there and many ways to get it on the cheap. Steepandcheap, camofire, REI-Outlet, etc.etc.

I can spend half a day in a Patagonia base layer with almost no activity and smell like arse.

All day hiking in KUIU 185 merino at 70 degrees, pack on, sweatin like a mother and there is no funk. It's like magic, seriously. I'm sure the others work like this as well.

Merino is replacing all of my capilene and other base-layers. Not only is merino a lifesaver in cold temps, it is also my base layer of choice for hunting oryx, speedgoats and early season Gila elk in high temps. Cut the stink factor out and stay cool. No synthetic can even compete...

I have been using capilene long johns and smartwool socks, but still use cotton briefs - I was in REI the other day and checked out the merino, but could not bring myself to pay $45 for one pair of underpants. I finally picked up a pair in polyester (similar to capilene) at Target for $10. They seem to work well for bicycling, but have not tried them in the cold yet.

Most of my hunting clothing is surplus - either East German or Swiss wool pants, or some wool dress pants from Salvation Army. I think it is time to upgrade - I will probably drop 5 lbs by switching to Sitka.

I have been using capilene long johns and smartwool socks, but still use cotton briefs - I was in REI the other day and checked out the merino, but could not bring myself to pay $45 for one pair of underpants.

Yes but with Icebreaker briefs you dont have to wear them inside out back to front for a good 12 months!
Oh, that is way too much information isn't it
Cheers
Richard

Merino is the way to go for comfort, temperature regulation, and odor control. I have quite a bit now although I've never paid full price for any of it. Just gotta watch camofire and steep and cheap.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back