Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mercenary , fur harvester or Recreational hunter

Slydog

Many years ago I started hunting and traping furberrers to supliment my income. At the time the word fur wasn't a dirty word. There was a lot of people traping and hunting the critters. The big money was in the predators, bobcat being the best paying and coyote was next in line, followed by fox and raccoon. Along with the end of the fur era went the traping and the hunting of the predators.
20 years later we have an over population of predators and the game animals are paying for it with their lives. With fur prices down and no bountys on these predators. Many hunters quit hunting the predators for lack of ability to sell their pelts.
It was about that time that I became a Mercenary with a purpose. Working for the ranchers and farmers,doing ADC work. I now hunt the hunters as needed and for access to ground. I do jerk pelts but only the ones that will bring top dollar. Skining coyotes and doing what needs done to make the fur worth anything is time consuming. after you spend countles hours preping the hides all to find out that a #1 grade coyote is only worth 25 dollars has caused the dimise of the fur trade era.
The predators have no idea and keep breading thus overpopulating most states and the game animals are feeling the rath of the dogooders. having said this to, in some sort of way to justify why I hunt the predators and only put up about 30% of the fur.

Now I ask you, are you a MERCENARY or a FUR HARVESTER or are you a RECREATIONAL HUNTER of the predators.

I know where I fit in to this equation and have no problem standing up and saying so. I feel that I'm doing my part, how about you?

slydog

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-29-2003 03:13: Message edited by: Slydog ]</font>

Well,I haven't killed any predators yet other than the coyote I killed and got a full mount on a few years ago,but my intentions are to skin them out and sell the hide if at all possible.But I'm doing it for fun and recreation,and since I'm out for blood as well, I guess I'm doing all three!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-29-2003 09:12: Message edited by: Seldom Ever ]</font>

At 0311am I can see why you forgot the other one. Were you dreaming about moose shed?

I am BUSINESS MAN. I am trying to eliminate the competation for my Moose, Deer, Grouse and the like.

Depending on the time of the year we all can be all of the above.

When we get on in summer when the fur slips, or winter with prime fur, perhaps deer hunting and opertunity strikes.

Maybe just choseing to take an active role in the ecology. By doing your part to take a species that over populated and passing on another that is under populated, or by planting or enhanceing habitat.

When I wrote this I had just finished with 16 and 1/2 hours in the shop. as to not talking about the recreational hunter I just figured that everyone knows who they are and I didn't think I would have to draw any pictures.

BTW, I called in 3 coyotes and a pair of fox just after daylight this morning. the coyotes busted me flat out and excaped with out any shots fired but the fox met MR. badger ridge bullet and are now sleeping the long nap
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Kewl Sly !

Well, after all the years, there has only been one coyote that was no good. His ears and tail and body were pretty ragged . It looked to me like he had just been ousted by the pack. But on the other hand to say he was no good would be a lie, my feathered friends ate for a couple weeks on him. They were happy.

Summer or winter, they have all had nice coats back here, so everyone has been happy.

Back when I first started, I was out for the kill and fun. My theory is now, keeping a balance. Hunt when signs tell me they are getting out of hand and over populated in an area.
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-29-2003 12:40: Message edited by: Crow Woman ]</font>

This brings up many interesting points, one for me, is must the call ultimately result in a kill?

Is it appropriate to call to a camera?

Should that only be done to document part of the kill... is recreational calling to the camera unfair to other callers who do want to kill them, because you are educating the animals to the call?

Crow Woman,

Do you ever call coyotes in just for a closer look?

The other point I find interesting, is the idea that hunting coyotes (alone) will have a long term positive effect on threatened species populations.
As MtO pointed out, feed crop planting, access management, and release programs, and PUBLIC EDUCATION would all do more to turn the tide of endangerment, than the continued efforts of a futile system, now weakened by politilcal correctness.

Time has proven, with even more radical methods then employed today, that coyote populations cannot be effectively controlled (from an ecology standpoint) by even the most aggressive methods (poison, aerial gunning... etc.). Let alone how hunting that has an effect on species like deer, sage grouse, or moose.

Wouldn't coyote density numbers reflect that? In an area where a guy can take 25 coyotes a year, wouldn't the taking of them just feed the other coyotes, who did not respond to the call, a little better?

Without a "creel count" system in place on coyotes (and all game, and non-game species) on a nationwide basis (if not global) there's no real way to know, or say, we as individuals are having a positive effect (not just in our hunting but in our usage of the planet's resources on a daily basis).

I look at the ecosystem as one of those merry-go-rounds in the playground... and it's spinning too fast, and wobbling out of control... and some of the critters are flying off...
frown.gif

Just because I shoot one or two (or 75 if I was great) of the one who are eating other critters on the wheel, does that mean the ones who couldn't hold on before will now be able to?

I gotta get on my bicycle and ride to the hardware store... cya!
wink.gif

Jeff
wave1.gif

This one time.....at band camp, me and some other other varmint mercenaries met up and attacked a large squadron of coyotes headed for Pearl Harbor.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Varmint Mercenary...that has a nice ring to it doesn't it. Well actually I am recreational hunter because I hunt for the fun of it. I have removed problem varmints (groundhogs, racoons and such) for a little quick cash sometimes. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I trapped for a fur check. Right now I have very little time for getting out to hunt, but when I go calling it is just for enjoyment.
wink.gif

Doug

ps: For those of you who didn't get the band camp reference.....Rent the video "American Pie" and then you will understand as well as smile every time you see an apple pie.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OHMYGAWD DOUG!!!!!!!!!
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I LUV that movie especially with the glue, the video!!! And lets not forget the trumpet... hehehe hahahaha

ROFLMAO

I live so far South even a January Coyote is worthless. Since Texas is 98% privately owned. I hunt to gain access to land. That would make me a mercenary. Well I love hunting them. So that would be recreational.

I guess I am a mercenary having a blast.

I guess we all are,VH,when it comes right down to it.Keep on postin,it's a pleasure readin.Tell us a coyote hunting tale or two,and pass that shine jar this way buddy
biggrin.gif
,while I stoke the fire a mite.

I primarily call coyotes for recreation. At one time I had an attitude a shot never taken is a shot never made. And the only good coyote is a dead coyote. One day I took a walk around the Dark Board and their outlook seemed to make sense. My skill level is not what it needs to be to do any good to control problem animals, and why not let the pups grow up to be called in the fall. I have e-mailed Blain Eddy and sending him the money this week. But I’m sure I won’t get rich doing it.

I don’t take many coyotes annually to be considered a mercenary or fur hunter so I guess I’m strictly recreational.

I used to get a lot of coyotes, that was last year. I got just over 30. 0 so far this year. ADC is very effective around here. Im thinking the YOY will be well worth the wait. Ive been scouting and nothing but deer tracks. When nothing shows up, I dont blame my call and I dont second guess myself.(anymore) 2 1/2 years exp., 35 yotes, and I feel like Ive seen it all. From hang ups to 8ft shots that put yote guts on the end of my swift. From acomplishing the art art of k-9 distress to shoot both incommers, to pulling off a 400+ yd shot to get that "money" dog on a windy tournament day. I bought a 400 dollar dig cam just to post pics., set up a mount on my scope to video tape, which is now 30 min long with I think 12 callins.
By the way Krusty, Ill send you a copy of that along with the other one. So Ive come a long way in my limited experience.

Next phase, central Montana coyotes, where my parents live. In the Pipestone area. Should be a challenge. Looking forward to it. (Providing I dont get ate by a neighborhood black bear!)

Brad

Krusty,in answer to your question,each person should do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't cause physical harm to anyone else.So,if you want to call for fun,camera,or gun,heck,it's a free country,and the choice should be based purely on what makes you grin the most,IMHO.
biggrin.gif

Mercenary, somtimes fur, and when I don't have permission to shoot recreational Hunter, with a camera.

Note: I don't go and call with a camera any spots which are near land owners having trouble.
later pup

Pup,
You sir don't have to explain, no one here will bust your b#%$ even if you did call and take photos close to ranchers with problems.

This is the house of Moosie, its about having a good time when your here. I do know what you ment though.....
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

sly

SE writes:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Krusty,in answer to your question,each person should do whatever they want to do as long as it doesn't cause physical harm to anyone else. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(not addressing just SE)

So y'all don't mind if I smoke a big fat joint and wander around camp naked???

I thought not... that's why I don't do those things, because they are socially unexeptable.
In this "society of hunters" I thought someone would have some insight, or at least an opinion, about this subject.

In climbing, there are different ways to go about doing things... I could take 1000 bolts and place them three feet apart all the way up El Capitan... like rungs of a ladder to climb to the top... but again this is deemed unacceptable because it detracts from the resource and removes some of the pleasure from another person's use of this same resource.

I see the recreational calling of predators very much like the bolting issue (that threatens the very sport of climbing).
It has the potential to remove the fun of this sport from other predator hunters, that's not something I want to feel responsible for.

The other pictures I have taken were "shots of opportunity" I didn't call or hunt them. This is no way should have had any negative on the animal, the resource, or predator hunters who may want to shoot those same coyotes with a gun.

This is not my World and I want to share it with all of you... but I have to know what y'all want, before I can decide how to help leave that available to you.

Decisions made without knowledge are just guesses!
wink.gif

Jeff
wave1.gif

Why does illicit narcotics need to brought to the board. There is no need or place for that here. I would appreciate if you do not bring it up any farther.

Smoking a joint is against the law here in the United States, possession, distrubution all illegal. In the state of Maine calling coyotes for recreation is not.

Whatever decision you make,someone's going to give you flak for it.I don't care if you wander around camp naked smoking a doobie,and likewise you should be prepared for the legal consequences when I drop a dime to call the Man
biggrin.gif
. Now if I'm not there,I don't care
biggrin.gif

You did get one opinion,my own.I see no harm in someone calling to take pics,during,before,or after any hunting season.Someone else might get really PO'ed and read you the riot act.The way I see it,if all you're doing is taking pics,that leaves more for me to shoot,or take pics of my own self.If you successfully call in a coyote during hunting season in the same area that another guy is hunting,and just take a pic,and he gets mad because you didn't shoot it,in my eyes,he's the one with the problem,not you.That is what I meant by my earlier post.If you do it prior to the season,what harm is there,and how does the coyote receive an education,unless you deliberately flash bang it or something ? As long as the coyote comes to the call,you take pics,and then allow the coyote to wander off on his own naturally,how has he been educated ? Most likely he's experienced the same thing in the natural world many times,and has learned nothing from the experience other than "sometimes you win,sometimes you lose".IMHO.

Back