Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Memorial Day

Losing_Sanity

Memorial Day isn't just a long weekend, at least it shouldn't be. Many Americans are taking advantage of the day off from work and gearing up to go camping, have a bar-b-ques, or maybe travel somewhere. Many retailers are offering grand sales. But as Americans we should not forget what the holiday really means and stands for. Please, click here, The History of Memorial Day.

Have a good weekend and a safe Memorial Day.

I often wondered why my Dad made us go to military service on a day when most our friends were at the lake. I must have found Dad's example worthwhile as I continue his Memorial Day tradition of letting the fish have a break while I attend a ceremony far more meaningful to me than catching another fish. Bozeman has a great Memorial Day service and I always enjoy visiting with the folks I meet there, even a few Hunt Talkers.

Kham Xiong
Corey Stirnes
Antonio Glass

PFC Xiong was one of my best joes. He was always a go getter. He was always sensible. He was a good father. He has been gone almost 10yrs and that day is almost always in the back of my mind.

SPC Stirnes wasn't always the best soldier. He really pulled himself together when we went to Afghanistan. He became my right hand man. We spent a lot of time together on patrol. I still catch myself trying to call him to talk about old times.

SFC Glass was an outstanding NCO. I could always count on him for advice. He was a strong leader with a big personality. He was a goof ball at heart but wasn't afraid to lay down the law. He was always honest and his word carried real weight. He taught me what it means to be a leader.

The Angel Fire Viet Nam veteran memorial is special. There is something to be said of a monument in the middle of nowhere, but beautiful scenery.

I have been twice. Overdue for another visit!

The Angel Fire Viet Nam veteran memorial is special. There is something to be said of a monument in the middle of nowhere, but beautiful scenery.

I have been twice. Overdue for another visit!

Indeed Bobbydean...I had the pleasure of meeting and visiting with Dr. Victor Westphall during some of our first visits. A gracious gentleman and true patriot. The Memorial will be wall to wall bikes this weekend and almost as crowded next.

Events for me include walking alongside the deuce-and-a-half loaded with Vietnam Veterans of America fellow veterans in the Bozeman parade, then attending the moving and meaningful Memorial Day service mentioned by Big Fin, which honors Gold Star families and veterans of all wars. Bozeman area veterans' names selected are read aloud with a brief bio, followed by the respectful soft ringing of the bell. The service takes place in front of the replica Vietnam Memorial Wall, which area veterans' groups collaborated in obtaining after the national Wall tours.

It is a day which strongly moves me as I remember my flight school roommate (silver star recipient who died in a Huey crash), fellow Army unit members who died in-country, and veteran friends who have passed since serving. One in particular was twenty-some year RMEF volunteer, Craig McCollim, Army Vietnam veteran, hunting buddy with whom I shared many Memorial Day events, and who passed a few years ago on Memorial Day evening after a full day of respecting his fellow veterans. After being recruited by Craig's widow to deliver his eulogy (with some difficulty) I hiked up a mountain where he had shot his last bull elk. As I stood reflecting on a hill above the spot, I heard wings above and looked up to see a golden eagle right above me, sure that Craig was present ... but then looked across to see two bulls in velvet moving across the hillside opposite ... evoking strong emotion ... then spotting a black bear moving up the ridge where Craig and I last saw one together, it struck me emotionally to the core. Such sightings seem surreal and have not occurred since, so are deeply entrenched.

I encourage you to pay tribute in your own way to those who have sacrificed so much for us all, to attend the Bozeman events if in the area, and to always respectfully and thankfully remember.

PS: If at the memorial service you may even enjoy a Big Fin sighting and, if fortunate, a Hunttalk discussion.

I'll be remembering lost brothers, my parents, uncles & aunts, cousins, grandparents & several others who served in my family.

Also of importance, the Gold Star family and the consummate warrior hero SSG Travis Atkins, former Bozeman Hawk, will certainly be honored as Army SSG Atkins was recently posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor at the White House. SSG Atkins tackled an enemy combatant suicide bomber in Iraq and selflessly valiantly covered the bomber and the explosion to protect his fellow soldiers. The huge significance of that courageous act cannot be expressed in words.

Thanks to those who gave it their all. Rest In Peace and God Bless your families.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back