Yeti GOBOX Collection

Meet Grinnell, my Red-tailed Hawk

I thought all these birds used for hunting were raised as chicks. You are telling me you can trap an adult hawk and teach it to hunt for you?

I thought all these birds used for hunting were raised as chicks. You are telling me you can trap an adult hawk and teach it to hunt for you?
Sure can. Legal, too. And adult is kinda relative. They are trapped as less than year old birds. So hunting on their own but still considered juvenile.

We got red tailed hawks in the neighborhood killing small pets and rabbit. Apparently they thinned out the rabbits and cats enough that they moved out because enough people complained that animal control was going to destroy them. Don't see the hawks no more but feral cats are back. Foxes are on way back too. I like the red tail hawks but you gotta watch small pets if they are around.

Meet Grinnell.

View attachment 116987

She's my passage redtailhawk This is the the culmination of six years in pursuing falconry We trapped her a week ago and she's already manning nicely and coming to the glove. Prepare for many more pictures.

View attachment 116989

Yes, it's legal. And yes, it's a lot of paperwork and permits.

View attachment 116990

The why: There is something about hunting with another hunter, and one that flies. They are designed to do nothing but hunt. That resonates.
Spectacular!!!!

Hey, another falconer, very cool!

I am manning a passage prairie falcon at the moment - hope to have her on the wing here in a 7-10 days.

What is the game situation like over there in the Bitterroot? Are there some decent upland opportunities?

Hey, another falconer, very cool!

I am manning a passage prairie falcon at the moment - hope to have her on the wing here in a 7-10 days.

What is the game situation like over there in the Bitterroot? Are there some decent upland opportunities?
Upland, absolutely. Pheasants, quail, grouse abound.
I will be adding a peregrine to the mews next spring just for that. I really want to take advantage of the ducks in the area that are on small water.

New piercing, courtesy of my hawk.

So Grinnell got a bit excited today during feeding time. A talon in my earlobe split down the length. After showing her the real food, I found the bleeding wouldn't stop. A trip to the #ER came with many questions:
"Did it you let it eat your earlobe?"
"What really happened?"
"What did you do that a hawk attacked you?"
"Is it supposed to land on your head?"
"What's a redtailed hawk?" (Really)
And then I got three stitches.

Part of falconry is managing the weight of our birds carefully. Hunger is a powerful motivator to hunt. We don't starve them, but feed them on a schedule to time the moments they are hungry. Then we fly, hunt, and feed. Maybe a bit more for #Grinnell

IMG_20201117_224459_202.jpg

I like wild animals a lot, especially wild birds, and especially hawks. I think they are the most powerful birds and they are so beautiful. Everyone knows that they are at the top of the food chain it is not so easy to answer the question What Eats a Hawk? They are considered to be one of the strongest and wisest on the chain. I like their sharp eyes, large and powerful wings, sharp claws, and how they use their natural weapon during hunting, I think it is magnificent. Now I understand why the hawk is on the flag of a lot of different powerful countries.

Last edited:
While hunting birds yesterday I ran into a fellow engaged in falconry with two birds. He had a couple dogs he used to range out into the sage and point on a bird, and then he would turn the bird loose. They mostly hunt huns and sharp-tail. Just fascinating. I peppered him with questions till I felt I was bugging him, and said goodbye.

It made me think of this thread, and just how cool falconry is. Keep the posts coming!

Just stumbled into this. Wish I had time to play the falconry game! My brother has been doing it for somewhere around 15 years. A loooooong time ago, my oldest daughter told her teacher about her uncle's pet redtail pearl. The teacher didn't believe my kindergarten daughter, so little bro took pearl to the school for a little show and tell. He said the look on the teachers face was priceless when he walked in the door of the class unannounced haha!!!!

I released Grinnell today. Our journey has closed. I will find a praire falcon this summer and behind trainging her for this fall. It is bittersweet for sure. Everytime I see a redtail, I'll wonder if it's her.

IMG_20210426_190726_482.jpg

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Back