Meet Grinnell, my Red-tailed Hawk

this is very cool,, how bout flying the bird over a pointing dog ,,,,

this is very cool,, how bout flying the bird over a pointing dog ,,,,
That would depend on the raptor being flown, but it is very common. With a RT, you're "dirt hawking" so chasing rabbits, squirrels, small game. If you had a pointer, and were chasing pheasants, chukars, etc, you would want a falcon like a peregrine or gyr. Next fall I want to fly a peregrine or goshawk for that aspect.

I met a guy out of Glasgow had a few falcons I believe and couple setters, he loved chasing phes and sharptails. I never got to go out with him though,,, I have a hard pointing wirehair right now if you need a pointer someday

This is a fantastic thread, and as far as I’m concerned the more the merrier in terms of detail for those of us who have ever even remotely considered doing this

Meet Grinnell.

View attachment 116987

She's my passage redtailhawk This is the the culmination of six years in pursuing falconry We trapped her a week ago and she's already manning nicely and coming to the glove. Prepare for many more pictures.

View attachment 116989

Yes, it's legal. And yes, it's a lot of paperwork and permits.

View attachment 116990

The why: There is something about hunting with another hunter, and one that flies. They are designed to do nothing but hunt. That resonates.

Very awesome I’ve watched a few around here during duck season hunting ducks with falcons! Very interesting, this maybe in my future at some point.
Matt

Pretty cool!
Did you have a treat ready as soon as s/he(?) landed? Seemed like a quick snack as soon as Grinnell set onto your glove.

Pretty cool!
Did you have a treat ready as soon as s/he(?) landed? Seemed like a quick snack as soon as Grinnell set onto your glove.
Yeah, small tidbits of mule deer. I don't always do it, but if I do her response is immediate. Generally she follows me around tree to tree until we kick something up. I'll recall her if we are moving, other birds begin to mob, or something else in the field isn't right. Otherwise, she just does what Hawks do.

Meet Grinnell.

View attachment 116987

She's my passage redtailhawk This is the the culmination of six years in pursuing falconry We trapped her a week ago and she's already manning nicely and coming to the glove. Prepare for many more pictures.

View attachment 116989

Yes, it's legal. And yes, it's a lot of paperwork and permits.

View attachment 116990

The why: There is something about hunting with another hunter, and one that flies. They are designed to do nothing but hunt. That resonates.

Loved your podcast on the rich outdoors . I researched a bunch of info on falconry. It is an amazing sport but very time consuming so I had a decision, falcons or kids. Well I will have to wait til they fly the coup to join you. Can’t wait to read about some Hunt s you go on with your falcons!!! Have you ever taken them hunting and they keep game that you were hoping to get for yourself? Have you raised any falcons or hawks from being a chick? Best of luck and thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back