Meat Storage - Bozeman & Surrounding areas?

lifeisgoodsteve

Hi All,

Anyone know of a processor or place that'll just allow me to pay for meat storage?

I actually enjoy processing my own meat, but will be working remotely/hunting/getting time in the mountains this fall so will be away from my home's freezer for a few months. I may just pay a processor but also curious of the option to process myself and pay for storage.

I'm a bit flexible on location as I'll be exploring various parts of MT and spend some time in WY too.

Thanks and cheers,

Steve

I’ve used Yellowstone Meat processing just east of Bozeman. Good folks and Randy actually did an episode featuring them. Not sure whether they will allow just cold storage or not, but worth a call to them.

I highly doubt any processor will let you use their freezer for storage

Freezer space is such a premium most game processors have a late pickup policy with either a fine and/or will report you for wanton waste. I’ve seen anywhere from 24hr to 5 day pick up requirements.

Lots of place around Bozeman will stop taking animals during the season and Yellowstone stacks them outside in the late season they get so many.
I won’t say no one will let you... but even if you plan on having your animal processed you are going to need to figure out storage.

I’ve used Yellowstone Meat processing just east of Bozeman. Good folks and Randy actually did an episode featuring them. Not sure whether they will allow just cold storage or not, but worth a call to them.

Two Septembers ago I stored my ram with Yellowstone Processing for five days while I tagged along on a goat hunt. They were already pretty busy in mid september so if you are planning on having them store anything during general rifle season, I would talk to them first.

Thanks guys. I kind of figured that'd be the case regarding storage. I have a friend in Bozeman, so might offer to trade some elk meat for a couple months of space in his garage for a chest freezer.

Cheers

Hi All,

Anyone know of a processor or place that'll just allow me to pay for meat storage?

I actually enjoy processing my own meat, but will be working remotely/hunting/getting time in the mountains this fall so will be away from my home's freezer for a few months. I may just pay a processor but also curious of the option to process myself and pay for storage.

I'm a bit flexible on location as I'll be exploring various parts of MT and spend some time in WY too.

Thanks and cheers,

Steve

Back