Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Meat Grinders

I'm part owner in the 1hp model. Works great have had for about 4 years, probably have done about 20 animals with no problems
Jay

Phantom, I have owned mine now for 4 years also. Very fast and reliable, definatly worth the money, A friend of mine has the 1/3 hp and after using my 1hp he is upgrading.
Lucas.

I'm part owner in the 1hp model. Works great have had for about 4 years, probably have done about 20 animals with no problems
Jay

Is there a tenderizer attachment available?

My brothers and dad and I all went in on this model as well. We've had good luck with it. If the meat is not partially frozen it can gum up. So I grind some icy meat and suet together then when it starts to gum up, I throw it in the freezer(the meat) for a bit. Then run it through one more time.

I've got the 1hp model. Works great, and fast!

Is there a tenderizer attachment available?

Yep, for another 2 bills. :eek: Thinking about picking one up, though, as they are currently on sale for $150, and I have a $30 off of $150 coupon and a $50 gift card.

I haven't used the model you're thinking about. However, I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid a few weeks ago. They have a deal going that gets you a free grinder attachment with your purchase. She loves it for baking and it's been great for the first two animals I've run through it.

I have a 1/2 hp that works well,I bet the 1 hp would fly through the meat.

Appreciate all the responses. Just might have to pick one up for the December meat hunt. Perhaps I can even talk my buddies to pick up part of the tab.

The 1/3 hp will get some work in this weekend as a doe hit the dirt tonight. :D

I haven't used the model you're thinking about. However, I bought my wife a Kitchen Aid a few weeks ago. They have a deal going that gets you a free grinder attachment with your purchase. She loves it for baking and it's been great for the first two animals I've run through it.
That what I use. As long as you watch how hard you run it and don't let it get too hot it works slick. Besides, I like cookies to go with my meat...

Grinder on Kitchenaid user here, too and it seems to work for the way I treat meat. I normally freeze what I'd grind in stew form, then if I want ground I grind it as I need it, that way I've got stew meat, and can make ground at my convenience...however,the big issue is we need to make sure mdunc is still alive, after buying his wife a kitchen appliance.

I have the 3/4 hp version and it grinds so much faster than any other grinder I have used. If you only grind your meat once, any grinder does a decent job as long as you keep everything cold. It's on the second grind that you'll notice the difference in the speed. I just made 30# of sausage yesterday in about an hour. On my old grinder, I would have only made 10#.

It's on the second grind that you'll notice the difference in the speed.

Broke in the new 1 hp grinder in tonight. It was much, much quicker on the 2nd grind which is what I was after. I mix in 73% lean beef with the venison and then package it up. I'm up to 81 1+ pound packages in the freezer. Unfortunately, all from does so far but the rut is starting to go full swing. :D

Question on the auger bearing...do you guys remove it when cleaning? I always did on the 1/3 hp and took it out of the 1 hp tonight. I noticed a crack in the flange so have ordered another one. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the hammer/screwdriver combo used to get it out, but don't know how else to do it. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input.

I have the 1 1/2 hp model, bro-in-law has the 1hp model. Both will chew through meat faster than you can feed it in. I agree with Lawnboy that having a bit of frost crystal still in the meat makes it grind smoother as well. To be honest from what I've seen my 1 1/2hp model is overkill. But either will go through an elk in no time.

1 part venison to 3 parts beef. Wow, why don't you just ruin it. That's not venison that's beef with a little deer added to it.

Probably didn't word that quite right...the ratio is around 5 parts venison to 1 part beef with the beef being 73% lean. I'd prefer not to mix in the beef but the kids don't like it as well.

Speaking of fat, I ran into one of Dinkshooter's "friends" last weekend...the GRENADE! Unfortunately, no pics were taken in order to prove that DS is not picky about much. ;) And, do we really know that those sweet pics were of his neighbor? BTW, I didn't realize you made a trip back to Iowa late summer...appears to be some little one(s) on the way come May. :eek:

Seriously, has anyone else had issues with the auger bearing? Do you remove it for cleaning?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back