Meat grinder upgrade

WATERMAG

We currently use a Cabelas .5 hp grinder and it works alright it is just getting slow for the amount of meat we run threw it. This one is rated for 5-7 lbs per minute but it took 4 hours to grind 250 lbs of cow twice. That's about 2 lbs per minute.

I was looking into the Cabelas 1.75 hp grinder that says it will do 19-23 lbs per minute. Does anyone have this grinder and can give any feedback on it? Or have any other options that we can use to speed up the processing time for all these critters.

I am friends with some farmers and am getting more and more calls with "down" animals (heifers, beef, pigs) that the are looking to get butchered. Its a great deal for both of us as i usually give 50% back to them and keep 50%. But this grinding is slowing us way down...

The second grind is where you are slowing down. Muscle meat will pull itself through but ground requires pushing. Save the money from the bigger grinder and if you really want to, buy another 1/2 hp grinder. One guy does first grind while another starts doing 2nd with what is produced. When 1st guy is done he can join in the 2nd grind. Just a thought.

If you're grinding that much might consider looking for a used Hobart or similar, I've seen them in the $500-700 range for older smaller versions (still huge compared to rec grade), just have to set up a 220 outlet for it.

I have been very happy with my STX grinder I picked up 4 or 5 years ago on Amazon for about $150. Grinds meat about as fast as I can fill it. I've done several elk, deer, and antelope with zero issues.

We currently use a Cabelas .5 hp grinder and it works alright it is just getting slow for the amount of meat we run threw it. This one is rated for 5-7 lbs per minute but it took 4 hours to grind 250 lbs of cow twice. That's about 2 lbs per minute.

I was looking into the Cabelas 1.75 hp grinder that says it will do 19-23 lbs per minute. Does anyone have this grinder and can give any feedback on it? Or have any other options that we can use to speed up the processing time for all these critters.

I am friends with some farmers and am getting more and more calls with "down" animals (heifers, beef, pigs) that the are looking to get butchered. Its a great deal for both of us as i usually give 50% back to them and keep 50%. But this grinding is slowing us way down...

My brother has an older model Cabelas 1.75hp grinder. Made by Weston I believe. I often borrow it for big jobs. It is a BEAST. It will grind faster than you can feed it. Highly recommend it, also suggest you pick up a foot pedal for it. However, I don't like it for stuffing sausage since its pushes such high volume, prefer the hand crank for that. Also note it's very heavy.

Are you putting in freezer before grinding - especially between 1st and 2nd grind. Firm meat grinds much better/faster than spongy thawed out meat.

The bigger neck on the larger head will work wonders....step up to #32 neck and at least 1 hp

If you're grinding that much might consider looking for a used Hobart or similar, I've seen them in the $500-700 range for older smaller versions (still huge compared to rec grade), just have to set up a 220 outlet for it.
All the used hobarts I have Sean have been crazy expensive. What are the decent models? I don’t know what is what

My brother has an older model Cabelas 1.75hp grinder. Made by Weston I believe. I often borrow it for big jobs. It is a BEAST. It will grind faster than you can feed it. Highly recommend it, also suggest you pick up a foot pedal for it. However, I don't like it for stuffing sausage since its pushes such high volume, prefer the hand crank for that. Also note it's very heavy.
We have a hand crank stuffer that we like. And I never thought about looking into the westons price compared to the Cabela’s. What’s the advantage of the foot pedal?

Are you putting in freezer before grinding - especially between 1st and 2nd grind. Firm meat grinds much better/faster than spongy thawed out meat.
Keeping it in the fridge between grinding. Didn’t have freezer room for the tubs

All the used hobarts I have Sean have been crazy expensive. What are the decent models? I don’t know what is what

Usually they are very expensive, but every once in a while I see deals on them. I almost got a 4146 which is a big one for under $800 a few years ago, but I didn't understand how to bid on ebay at the time and got outbid at the last minute. Saw a similar one locally on CL at one point for $700 but didn't have the cash ready and somebody else grabbed it. If you can find one of the small table top models sometimes they're 110v. I ended up with another old brand can't remember the name of, but it's a beast. I like old stuff though, something about the way they used to make things.

We have a hand crank stuffer that we like. And I never thought about looking into the westons price compared to the Cabela’s. What’s the advantage of the foot pedal?

If you have the grinder on and the pedal attached you press it down to grind, let off to stop. I like having that control rather than having to turn the knob off and on, especially with the speed of the grinder there's a lot of time spent loading just loading the tray and switching recieving bins, etc.

Usually they are very expensive, but every once in a while I see deals on them. I almost got a 4146 which is a big one for under $800 a few years ago, but I didn't understand how to bid on ebay at the time and got outbid at the last minute. Saw a similar one locally on CL at one point for $700 but didn't have the cash ready and somebody else grabbed it. If you can find one of the small table top models sometimes they're 110v. I ended up with another old brand can't remember the name of, but it's a beast. I like old stuff though, something about the way they used to make things.
I will have to keep my eyes open. The old one still works there is just room for improvement. Would like to keep it less then 750 if possible. But willing to spend a little more so we don’t have to upgrade ever again

If you have the grinder on and the pedal attached you press it down to grind, let off to stop. I like having that control rather than having to turn the knob off and on, especially with the speed of the grinder there's a lot of time spent loading just loading the tray and switching recieving bins, etc.
That would probably help keep the grinder head from getting to warm also.

Take a look at the LEM Big Bite grinders. Just up graded to one myself from an older 3/4 horse LEM unit. I bought the #12 which is a 3/4 horse unit and really does a great job. Love the all stainless head and auger.

I used a 3/4 lem a month ago to grind up 3 hogs and it did fantastic. Not as fast as i could feed but pretty close.

I saw those LEM brand ones. They are about the same $$ as the Cabelas brand and have equally as good reviews. The Hobarts are all expensive as crap.

@kwyeewyk The Hobarts are exceptional quality stuff, and if something breaks there are service companies in pretty much every region. They're costly and servicing them isn't cheap. If I got one I would get a smaller one and haul it to drop off at a service shop, the trip charges tend to be a large portion of the cost on a service call. Previous company I worked at used them in all our meat shops, I only dealt with them on electronic scales/wrappers but saw the bills on servicing the other equipment. As much as I would like to have one at home, I'd have to be grinding a lot of meat to justify it to myself.

Grinding twice is a total pain, I don't recommend it.
Have a good sharp blade and a plate size that suits you with a single grind. Also helps to partially freeze the cubed up meat before grinding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back