Yeti GOBOX Collection

McCall B tag going solo

Be in shape. It’s deceptive up there, it steeper and brushier in areas and that’s where they are.

The elk are in pockets..cover lots of ground, look for sign, and go slow/quiet.

I literally crapped my pants when I was standing looking down at my GPS and unbeknownst to me the elk herd (I was following their tracks) was just on the other side of the bushes/brush and the wind changed on me.

It went from quiet tranquility to literally a train running by as the herd blew out no more than 10 feet away. (And I never saw them)

Damn...so close and so terrifying.

😳😊

That’s good, because that country can humble you.
One of a handful of areas I don’t think I would want to pack an elk out of. Not unless it was well above average and mostly downhill for a short distance to the truck.

Well, if you want to elk hunt and this is your tag-this is the script your going to have to follow.

Time to work out hard, make sure you have a good back pack and learn how to bone out meat.

Oh, and be honest with yourself. If your not physically and mentally ready for that country ..hunt close to the road.

This is an unlimited tag hunt. So a lot of residents will be out hunting it. You also might see more Washington State plates than Idaho plates in this hunt. The Washington State guys are usually very friendly and willing to spill their guts when it comes to hunt info. I would start by looking at the Idaho Fish and Game website to see the unit by unit harvest ratios. You will find that specific units in the zone have a higher harvest ratio.

From my experience, this zone has a lot of elk. It also has lots of hunters. Some areas have small groups of wandering elk that get kicked around during the hunt. I know of a few areas where the elk gather in large numbers never to be disturbed by a soul. Those elk are safe from anyone due to the distance and effort it would take to harvest them.

I have to admit defeat. I hunted this zone 2 years ago and ate tag soup. I saw lots and lots of elk, but they were shuffling between trees. Picking out a bull in moving groups resulted in withdrawn opportunities.

If you aren’t scared of heights or falling to your death, four wheel drive and an Ebike might make logistics a little easier. Roads get washed out. Some appear on mapping software that have been closed for years. Be patient with other drivers when it come to playing cliff side chicken on the steep roads. Be willing to back up for others to pass.

Bring a chainsaw because trees fall across roads all the time and getting blocked on your way home can really get you in a pickle.
and there is still 15-20x more residents hunting than just non residents. Its capped!

^^^This^^^

Be ready to get very far away from roads and established trails.
and its this thought process that "everyone" has and turns 4-7 mi in more crowded than hunting 1 mile from the road. Elk will be where elk will be. I have more places to hunt off major roads than deep in the back country cause nobody hunts them. Hunt smarter not harder

1. Solo pack out of elk is a ton of work, especially if you're bringing your camp with you.
2. That unit is full of Elk. Look to the west end of the unit.
3. That unit is full of hunters. It's really easy to get in to, so you'll have plenty of company.
4. Stay far away from trails. Hopefully you can set up and intercept some bumped animals.

Good luck. Interested to hear about your hunt.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back