Maybe I'm the one who's nuts... thoughts on the great ammo & reloading run of '21

I found some primers a week ago. Was 130 mile round trip. Got there and they closed the doors as I pulled in the parking lot. Should have taken the wife's car would have been faster than my fullsize . Better luck next week eh.

This may come to a surprise but midway is way over priced on alot of stuff right now. I hope everyone is sitting down but I bought some 6.5-300 Weatherby on gun broker that cost $82 a box by the time I paid shipping and tax. The exact same ammo was in stock at midway for $96 a box.
The Sportsman's Ware house down the road from me has 6.5-300 Wby on the shelf plus possibly some brass. Will be stopping there tomorrow if you want me to look.

Not trying to be pedantic but diarrhea is actually fairly common during the early stages of Covid infection just prior to the onset of fever and respiratory symptoms.

A lot of people were also "working" from home and kids not in school so they weren't using someone else's TP.

The Sportsman's Ware house down the road from me has 6.5-300 Wby on the shelf plus possibly some brass. Will be stopping there tomorrow if you want me to look.
Thanks for the offer I already picked up 7 boxes and I got a set of dies. My local guy had 6 boxes of primers on his shelf. Hidden from view but I saw them and asked "you aren't selling any of those are you ". He's like "what?" I said you know what I'm talking about. He said i will sell you a box of each. I said I don't reload small rifle so don't worry about those but I will take 1 of the large rifle primers.

Took the wife to town yesterday and she let's me stop at gun stores just to go in and see what they have. So, I stopped at one and when I went in they had lots of ammo on the shelves. There was a couple of guys in there and one said I haven't seen this much ammo on the shelf in a long time. I look at the price and say here's why $46.95 for a box of 50 federal American eagle 9mm. He gave me a confused look. I'm like I bought a couple of boxes of the exact same thing earlier in the week at cabelas for $15 a box. He put what he had back on the shelf and said I don't need it that bad.

Took the wife to town yesterday and she let's me stop at gun stores just to go in and see what they have. So, I stopped at one and when I went in they had lots of ammo on the shelves. There was a couple of guys in there and one said I haven't seen this much ammo on the shelf in a long time. I look at the price and say here's why $46.95 for a box of 50 federal American eagle 9mm. He gave me a confused look. I'm like I bought a couple of boxes of the exact same thing earlier in the week at cabelas for $15 a box. He put what he had back on the shelf and said I don't need it that bad.

That shop probably got its ammo from Cabelas. Sometimes shops can get stuff cheaper from WalMart than they can from their distributor.

That shop probably got its ammo from Cabelas. Sometimes shops can get stuff cheaper from WalMart than they can from their distributor.
Considering cabelas has a 5 box limit and Walmart has a 1 box limit right now I highly doubt they bought any of it from a store.

Considering cabelas has a 5 box limit and Walmart has a 1 box limit right now I highly doubt they bought any of it from a store.
I have not checked out either store so I don't know their limits. There are 2 Fleet n Farm stores near me. When I visited both on the same day, one had limits posted and the other one did not. We have 2 WalMarts in town. I don't check ammo stock at either one since I don't buy factory ammo. A guy at the gun shop up the road used to buy guns from K Mart to sell in his store.

Kind of on the fence about this. I bought my wife a 9mm. I own 1 handgun a 44 mag. So I had no ammo and purchased some with the new pistol. I wasn't very pleased with the cost as I'm sure you can tell. Well evidently he didn't like my review. Of course I don't like his math skills because after tax it's 44.94 and after his costs with shipping he is marking it up a little over 15%. Anyways, I don't know if I should feel bad because he's getting taken to the cleaners or if I should think he's an idiot for paying that much just to have stuff on the shelf.

Edited to say, or should I be more concerned that he took the time to find my name and address off the ffl form to send that to me in the mail?

Attachments

• 20210309_221446.jpg
    20210309_221446.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 55
Kind of on the fence about this. I bought my wife a 9mm. I own 1 handgun a 44 mag. So I had no ammo and purchased some with the new pistol. I wasn't very pleased with the cost as I'm sure you can tell. Well evidently he didn't like my review. Of course I don't like his math skills because after tax it's 44.94 and after his costs with shipping he is marking it up a little over 15%. Anyways, I don't know if I should feel bad because he's getting taken to the cleaners or if I should think he's an idiot for paying that much just to have stuff on the shelf
Well, his gross profit on the item is 13% as he stated (retail-cost, divided by retail). That's how it is calculated in every retail establishment that I know of. The other charges like tax don't line his pockets, so it looks like he's pretty honest about that. It looks like a small shop, he's not getting the pricing his distributor gives to larger clients - and with scarcity and demand he likely has no choice but to take it in the shorts. 13 percent is a very low gross margin. For example, grocery stores run in the 20-30 percent for meat, 30-40 percent for produce, up to and over 60 plus percent range for shelf stable and dry goods.

Negative reviews can have an impact on your business, not surprised that he took offense to that.

Well, his gross profit on the item is 13% as he stated (retail-cost, divided by retail). That's how it is calculated in every retail establishment that I know of. The other charges like tax don't line his pockets, so it looks like he's pretty honest about that. It looks like a small shop, he's not getting the pricing his distributor gives to larger clients - and with scarcity and demand he likely has no choice but to take it in the shorts. 13 percent is a very low gross margin. For example, grocery stores run in the 20-30 percent for meat, 30-40 percent for produce, up to and over 60 plus percent range for shelf stable and dry goods.

Negative reviews can have an impact on your business, not surprised that he took offense to that.
36.45 ×1.15 which is 15 percent is 41.9175. Maybe you went to the same school he did.. Next what I paid regardless of how much he made doesn't matter. They cost me 44.94. As a small shop knowing what he has to offer is 3x the normal price when someone has sticker shock instead of totally ignoring them maybe say "I know this stuff is really expensive but right now I'm paying 3x as much just to get it here." There's more to having a small shop than standing behind a counter ringing up a sale and taking the money. I have worked in sales before selling. I know mark ups and overhead costs. I was paid commission and can tell you that the interest rate you are paying isn't what the bank would charge you. The extended warranty price isn't what the warranty company sells them for. Dealership no matter what kind car, horse trailer, furniture store doesn't matter. The bank says yeah we will take this loan for 4.2 percent they give the store permission to increase the interest rate and the dealer gets paid for doing that. The dealer can raise your 4.2 to 6.2 if they want and 99.9 percent do.

36.45 ×1.15 which is 15 percent is 41.9175. Maybe you went to the same school he did.. Next what I paid regardless of how much he made doesn't matter. They cost me 44.94. As a small shop knowing what he has to offer is 3x the normal price when someone has sticker shock instead of totally ignoring them maybe say "I know this stuff is really expensive but right now I'm paying 3x as much just to get it here." There's more to having a small shop than standing behind a counter ringing up a sale and taking the money. I have worked in sales before selling. I know mark ups and overhead costs. I was paid commission and can tell you that the interest rate you are paying isn't what the bank would charge you. The extended warranty price isn't what the warranty company sells them for. Dealership no matter what kind car, horse trailer, furniture store doesn't matter. The bank says yeah we will take this loan for 4.2 percent they give the store permission to increase the interest rate and the dealer gets paid for doing that. The dealer can raise your 4.2 to 6.2 if they want and 99.9 percent do.

Had he told you his cost would you have believed him?

Sort of like a car dealer sale of $99 over invoice. Nice ploy, but I don't care about your invoice. Show me the check that you wrote to pay for the car. I guarantee they won't be for the same amount.

At least 2 things to say to a car dealer. The only thing you add is cost; value not so much AND I can pay list price anywhere.

Gross profit margins are calculated as I said, many who aren't very knowledgeable on pricing/accounting calculation terms, such as he, call it markup - even though the two are not the same.

But what do I know, I only administered the systems for a multi-hundred million dollar regional chain for a decade. Surprised they're still in business, I better ask for a refund on my BCS.

Yes, maybe he should have told you that ammunition is high right now before he rang your card through, but lately the cheapest I've seen for a box of 50 9mm federals is 36 bucks.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back