Caribou Gear Tarp

May 5, 2021 Commissioners Meeting

What a waste of time and money. Every 5 years when they take public comment for the BGSS the most common comments are always wanting limitations of nonresidents. :rolleyes:

Any idea on how folks could get involved early on this fall in the focus group sessions? I've taken the surveys and gone to the public meetings in the past for big game season structure (very good people watching in those crowds I might add), but would love to get involved on the ground floor this fall if anyone knows if thats possible.
I would listen to what is decided during the discussion on this topic at the Commission meeting next week, and if they decide to move forward with this timeline then reach out to Katie Lanter and express your desire to participate.

What a waste of time and money. Every 5 years when they take public comment for the BGSS the most common comments are always wanting limitations of nonresidents. :rolleyes:

i might not be totally right here, but i suspect bgss comments over the years is partly why there will be a brand new process and timeline here for a potentially new tag allocation and preference point scheme

bgss comments among the general public chatter made clear people want allocation and pp changes. okay then, what's the next step? it's figuring out who to involve while ensuring voices are not left out, what kind of changes, when can we implement these changes, study the funding implications... it's a lot of work that you can't do with bgss comments and changes.

the beautiful bgss comments did bring us massive breaks between seasons and a shortened 3rd season... oh my did that solve all the problems :rolleyes:

i might not be totally right here, but i suspect bgss comments over the years is partly why there will be a brand new process and timeline here for a potentially new tag allocation and preference point scheme

bgss comments among the general public chatter made clear people want allocation and pp changes. okay then, what's the next step? it's figuring out who to involve while ensuring voices are not left out, what kind of changes, when can we implement these changes, study the funding implications... it's a lot of work that you can't do with bgss comments and changes.

the beautiful bgss comments did bring us massive breaks between seasons and a shortened 3rd season... oh my did that solve all the problems :rolleyes:
OMG if we do point banking 🤮.

I think that all hunt codes that went for 6pp for 3 years should be 20% NR quota, seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:
If I were king for a day - if you get an antlered A tag, you can't also get an additional preference point. Don't have to use your points if not first choice, but can't have both a tag and a point.
If I were king for a day I declare about 5k acres somewhere in the high country with nice rolling aspens, Meadows and some water mine. Then get landowner tags and not worry about it again

... it's a lot of work that you can't do with bgss comments and changes.

it sure did, and a good recent example of how commentary and outreach are important. I don’t think breaks between seasons do much after the rut is over. But, no one can argue that the commission didn’t listen to the majority on that as the #1 comment.

I was going to quote the next 3 posts too, but I just generally agree. Pure preference and unlimited OTC isn’t working any more. Notably for elk.

outside of pure lottery, I have always advocated and commented to CPW about having a bonus/random split, but the tough row to hoe is how to educate people enough to understand it and get behind it. There are a lot of folks today that don’t understand the current pure preference system and believe it to be overly complicated. We make fun of the ‘GenPop’ on Facebook with their silliness, but that’s the majority And that’s who needs the outreach.

Of our 4 neighboring states with similar big game species (i will ignore NE/KS/OK in this context), 3 of them have, IMO, the best systems* in the West (NM, WY, AZ, in that order).

*When I use ‘systems’ in this context, I mean mechanics and process, NOT technology…

Of our 4 neighboring states with similar big game species (i will ignore NE/KS/OK in this context), 3 of them have, IMO, the best systems* in the West (NM, WY, AZ, in that order).

*When I use ‘systems’ in this context, I mean mechanics and process, NOT technology…
I believe Colorado would do well with a system like what Wyoming has. Would have to tweak it some but I think that would be the best fit.

it sure did, and a good recent example of how commentary and outreach are important. I don’t think breaks between seasons do much after the rut is over. But, no one can argue that the commission didn’t listen to the majority on that as the #1 comment.

I was going to quote the next 3 posts too, but I just generally agree. Pure preference and unlimited OTC isn’t working any more. Notably for elk.

outside of pure lottery, I have always advocated and commented to CPW about having a bonus/random split, but the tough row to hoe is how to educate people enough to understand it and get behind it. There are a lot of folks today that don’t understand the current pure preference system and believe it to be overly complicated. We make fun of the ‘GenPop’ on Facebook with their silliness, but that’s the majority And that’s who needs the outreach.

that's a great point and one not to forget - the commission absolutely listened to those comments, which is important.

and my point, which i think you fully understood was my frustration with the comments, not the commission reacting to them necessarily.

i hope a new stakeholder process on pps and allocation will yield some fruit and i'm glad to see it taking off. it certainly won't be all the fruit every stakeholder wants, but hopefully we move the needle.

gosh if i was king of the world i'd make 3rd season mule deer only statewide. elk hunting can suck an egg at that time of the year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back