Caribou Gear

May 20th, really?!?

I pulled out, hope someone enjoys my tag. It was a sure thing too at 2% odds.

Don't have the time off, money, or mental capacity to try and squeeze two hunts into the month of September this year. Harassing deer and losing broadheads all over eastern Montana will be my only trip of the fall

I pulled out, hope someone enjoys my tag. It was a sure thing too at 2% odds.

Don't have the time off, money, or mental capacity to try and squeeze two hunts into the month of September this year. Harassing deer and losing broadheads all over eastern Montana will be my only trip of the fall
I fully support you, and stealthy, taking your business elsewhere.:p

Last edited:
Fully understand that, but why not postpone the application deadline to say April 1st. There really is no compelling reason for the Feb 1 deadline.
The outfitters association successfully lobbied to keep the January 31 (Feb 1 this year) NR elk app deadline because they want NRs to commit to applying in WY early (and booking with an outfitter), before the app deadlines for other states. The later draw period makes sense because it takes place after the commission meets and gets a chance to set tag quotas. It would be a better situation for NRs if they allowed the NRs to apply at the same time as the R's (on June 1), which is also the same date as the NR's get to apply for deer and antelope. The draw results on that are turned around quickly and your money isn't tied up for long (unless you draw!). Your complaint is with the outfitters association.

We definitely need another thread about why the elk apps are due so early. Maybe @BuzzH can explain it for the 725,927,395th time.
I can but it does no good as most guys can't look past their own needs.

Myself and @JM77 pushed the draw date back and for good reason.

We went to the commission because the tag splits between R and NR were not following regulation (84-16). The reason for that is that the NR draw was done PRIOR to the season setting meeting and before official quota's were set.

This caused a few things:

1. Any new seasons NR's were getting ripped off from evening being able to apply.
2. If quota's increased after the commission meeting NR's were getting ripped off from tags.
3. If quota's decreased after the commission meeting NR's were being over-allocated tags and Residents were getting ripped off from a percentage of tags.
4. It created a lot of problems for the biologists in regard to management. They had to "guess" at harvest stat's, winter kill, etc. and hold a statewide meeting to "guess" at the quotas. It was a real hassle, and Jeff and I were approached by several biologists asking if we could push for the change.

The concession we had to give to the outfitters was the early application deadline. I wasn't happy about it, still not happy about it, but at least everything is functioning as it should for the betterment of management, fair and equitable tag splits, and everyone can apply for every hunt choice. Biologists also don't have to waste their time on unnecessary meeting to set imaginary quota's.

I can but it does no good as most guys can't look past their own needs.

Myself and @JM77 pushed the draw date back and for good reason.

We went to the commission because the tag splits between R and NR were not following regulation (84-16). The reason for that is that the NR draw was done PRIOR to the season setting meeting and before official quota's were set.

This caused a few things:

1. Any new seasons NR's were getting ripped off from evening being able to apply.
2. If quota's increased after the commission meeting NR's were getting ripped off from tags.
3. If quota's decreased after the commission meeting NR's were being over-allocated tags and Residents were getting ripped off from a percentage of tags.
4. It created a lot of problems for the biologists in regard to management. They had to "guess" at harvest stat's, winter kill, etc. and hold a statewide meeting to "guess" at the quotas. It was a real hassle, and Jeff and I were approached by several biologists asking if we could push for the change.

The concession we had to give to the outfitters was the early application deadline. I wasn't happy about it, still not happy about it, but at least everything is functioning as it should for the betterment of management, fair and equitable tag splits, and everyone can apply for every hunt choice. Biologists also don't have to waste their time on unnecessary meeting to set imaginary quota's.
Why did the outfitters want an early application deadline, I don't quite fallow the login. I guess someone, puts in and then contacts them so they kinda have clients booked early? but you still may not draw?

Just curious as to the argument.

Why did the outfitters want an early application deadline, I don't quite fallow the login. I guess someone, puts in and then contacts them so they kinda have clients booked early? but you still may not draw?

Just curious as to the argument.
Their "logic" was that they want first crack at NR's having to "lock in" their elk applications.

Which, makes sense, until you think about it since NR's can change or withdraw their applications up until sometime in May.

If that was the concession we had to make to clean up the other issues, that really were a problem, so be it.

IMO, I think they were just stinging that Jeff and I presented the case to the commission and fixed the problem. As per usual with WOGA, its all about their clients, their wallets, and what they want...nothing else matters including doing what's best for wildlife and its management.

Their "logic" was that they want first crack at NR's having to "lock in" their elk applications.

Which, makes sense, until you think about it since NR's can change or withdraw their applications up until sometime in May.

If that was the concession we had to make to clean up the other issues, that really were a problem, so be it.

IMO, I think they were just stinging that Jeff and I presented the case to the commission and fixed the problem. As per usual with WOGA, its all about their clients, their wallets, and what they want...nothing else matters including doing what's best for wildlife and its management.
Gotcha... just didn't really seem like "win" for them.

I doubt that WY minds getting the $15 application fee from all the NRs that draw a tag after the WY app deadline and before the application modification deadline. Quite a few thousand elk tags get handed out during that window, and if the app deadline was June, most of those people would not apply in WY.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back