Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Maui is burning.

That side of the island looks a lot it does here in the fall. Dry and brown. I made the comment when we were there that it looked like a fire could break out. I never dreamed it could burn a whole town. I didn’t take a ton of pictures in Lahaina, but here’s one looking back towards the mountains. Notice the brown hillside just above the top of the roofs. I’m standing in the town square that burned and the harbor is right behind me. View attachment 287511
If I'm placing you correctly, every building in that pic is gone.

Been to Maui 3 times , twice in the 80’s and the last time was in 2000 honeymoon from 1st Marriage. Lahaina was always my favorite. The town can be rebuilt, but the lives are gone forever. That’s the saddest for me.

Hurricane Dora unleashed wind mixed with wildfire... If hurricane winds (Cat 4) occurred in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, California, etc... Would be a WICKED fire and that takes into account ALL the additional resources available to multi local, State, and Federal support resources!

On an island w/o such support with Cat 4 hurricane whipped winds? Ugh!

Prayers sent.

Hurricane Dora unleashed wind mixed with wildfire... If hurricane winds (Cat 4) occurred in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, California, etc... Would be a WICKED fire and that takes into account ALL the additional resources available to multi local, State, and Federal support resources!

On an island w/o such support with Cat 4 hurricane whipped winds? Ugh!

Prayers sent.
SoCal gets Santa Ana winds and if the downed power lines don’t start fires then some pyromaniac gets it started

Modern homes can be rebuilt but you can’t replace historic buildings. The new Lahaina won’t have the same charm. I lived there without a car and walked every street, backstreet and alleyway.

The people lost can never be replaced but everything else can. It will never be the same, but it can still be great. I know the pain, frustration and confusion those poor souls are going through right now, but I also know that it will be short lived as the process of rebuilding their lives begins. God's speed on your recovery Maui, our hearts are with you.

this exact thing did happen in colorado less than 2 years ago

this exact thing did happen in colorado less than 2 years ago

Agree. It happens throughout - my point is the significance of areas w/in the adjoining States, we have massive amounts of resources available and it's still a challenge.
Maui, on the other hand... It's not as though super scoopers, multi agencies are able to assist. Thus the pummeling the Island is taking is significantly more challenging, thus the impact on lives and the quickness the fire flushed into and through areas is beyond our adjoined States.
Heck, the Maui fire department has ONE helicopter bucket...
"Getting water on a fire in urban environments requires a fire truck pulling up, attach a hose to a hydrant and turn on the water. Wildfires are tougher to fight as there are no fire hydrants in the middle of nowhere.
The Maui Fire Department has a helicopter that makes water drops but its capacity is literally a drop in a bucket when fighting a fire spread over hundreds of acres."

1691789067006.png

Man this sucks. Sure feel for the locals. We had planned a trip there next month but cancelled.
Why? I get not going to the fire zone, but spending money in Hawaii would be a good thing right now. My daughter and son-in-law are changing certain plans but still going. They leave in late September. mtmuley

Was the second week of September and the condo is near Lahaina. Just thought it would be too soon.

Why? I get not going to the fire zone, but spending money in Hawaii would be a good thing right now. My daughter and son-in-law are changing certain plans but still going. They leave in late September. mtmuley
A lot of the fire victims are being put up in hotels and tourist would be taking away beds from them.
Better to visit a different island.

Crickets?

Imagine Bozeman has been burnt to ashes and then your not allowed to go check on your rental home?

No rock concert benefits for the locals. No movie stars with free time to help rebuild. No Fox or CNN fundraisers for the folks in Bozeman.

Is it that the folks on Maui are native peoples?

Ready for the ban...

Back