Maui is burning.

Southern Elk

It’s sad to see Maui burning. There are reports that much of Lahaina has been destroyed. My wife and I just got back from our first ever trip to Hawaii. We stayed near Lahaina. I hope they are able to get everyone out safely. It was easy to see how the dry side of the island would be at risk for wildfire. I always imagined the islands to be a rainforest, but that side of the island only gets 10” or so of rain per year.

Been to Maui many times. Such a special place. Especially Lahaina. Just doesn’t seem possible that it could be erased from the world. This is a photo of the giant banyan tree from the town square:

View attachment 287420

I hope in whatever ways possible they build it back just the way it was.
E03982DC-CED7-4029-B695-5DB8638CB4ED.jpeg

This was it a little over a month ago. It was our first trip. Lahaina was our favorite town. We couldn’t wait to go back, but now I’m not sure I want to.

Unbelievable we spent 10 days there in December for xmas. My wife and I honeymooned there 14 years ago. Downtown Lahina is an incredibly beautiful and special place so much history, art, class and culture.

We took a picture of our kids now 9 and 12 on the same branch we took on our honeymoon. That tree was incredible.

So sad for everyone who lost everything some even thier lives. Never in my dreams would I have imagined that would happen.

"Experts attribute the surge in wildfires to the prevalence of nonnative grasses, which are especially common on Maui, and are more flammable than indigenous plants."

Ugh, my friend's mom had two small, amazing houses in Lahaina right on the beach. They're gone, but at least she was out of the state.

Pretty awful. Really shocking when a wildfire burns into an urban area.
That side of the island looks a lot it does here in the fall. Dry and brown. I made the comment when we were there that it looked like a fire could break out. I never dreamed it could burn a whole town. I didn’t take a ton of pictures in Lahaina, but here’s one looking back towards the mountains. Notice the brown hillside just above the top of the roofs. I’m standing in the town square that burned and the harbor is right behind me. ADCFE869-0A27-4480-9A01-88F4A0A30912.jpeg

Back