Yeti GOBOX Collection

Masters Course in Deer Hunting, Wired to Hunt Episode 63. QUESTIONS?

Hey guys I stumbled on this podcast last week, and was blown away when I heard it. It was so dense I needed to hear it again, and take methodical notes. I provided them here in hopes of saving you guys some time, and something to reference.

https://www.scribd.com/document/390049550/Hunting-Podcast-Notes

Anyways, I had some questions. I know this was about white tail. But I am going on my first mule deer hunt next month. How much of what is said on this podcast applicable to mule deer. Do mule deer pretty much move the same when it comes to weather fronts and such? I have read 3 books on mule deer but nothing as intense as this. How accurate do you guys think his Phases are compared to mule deer in New Mexico? Just curious, or is this strictly meant for whitetail?

Thats a great episode. He updated it last month. You should listen to it.

As far as Mule Deer hunting in New Mexico, I haven't thought too much about applying the phases Drury uses on whitetail. There will be some similarities as far as when rutting occurs but having hunted five seasons in the same unit of NM during mule deer season, their behavior is significantly different. Much of that has to do with the terrain I am sure and the lack of consistent agricultural feeding opportunities. But the mule deer where we hunt are not as easy to pattern as the whitetails in Oklahoma.

Im assuming you are rifle hunting second season, is that correct?

I’m no muley expert, but from what I’ve seen, they move a little more liberally, regardless of weather, just not always the big ones.

Those episodes were pretty intense. Very interesting

Thats a great episode. He updated it last month. You should listen to it.

As far as Mule Deer hunting in New Mexico, I haven't thought too much about applying the phases Drury uses on whitetail. There will be some similarities as far as when rutting occurs but having hunted five seasons in the same unit of NM during mule deer season, their behavior is significantly different. Much of that has to do with the terrain I am sure and the lack of consistent agricultural feeding opportunities. But the mule deer where we hunt are not as easy to pattern as the whitetails in Oklahoma.

Im assuming you are rifle hunting second season, is that correct?

I figured as much, there is not a lot of farm land, and in the west with my little experience it seems you have to find them and then stalk for the most part. Thank you for your reply. We are hunting unit 36 rifle in November. I have the new episode as well, i will be digesting that soon. Kind of weird though there isn't a lot of white tail in my area, either way good info for sure. What parts of New Mexico you hunt?

I’m no muley expert, but from what I’ve seen, they move a little more liberally, regardless of weather, just not always the big ones.

Those episodes were pretty intense. Very interesting

I agree, that really blew my mind to. I feel like a bookie now when it comes to deer. Thank you for the reply beagle. We really don't care much for trophy this is our second year hunting we just want to fill our freezers :)

Enjoy the hunt, Godsstepbro! I’ve got a serious mule deer problem where I get lost just watching them and need a reminder to go after them

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back