Master angler

If that’s true, should there be an award for a state record fish?
Most are caught by casual fisherman, so its not really an accomplishment, just right place, right time. How many state records are held by professionals? Very few if any.

I wouldn't agree with that. Well, if it is high-fence, then that's a different discussion.
You should look at the CO catch and release records of which 3 records are held by one couple from a private pond. Two of those are longer that world records.

Fishing records are usually a bit nebulous. Skill can be augmented by the tackle and location used to catch a record. Then again, how many old geezers shot a B&C buck sitting on the same old stump they hunted for years? Look at citations rather than records and you start seeing the same names pop up consistently.

The problem with fish records is catch and release. I’m all for catch and release, but verification is impossible.

Depends on where you are. My BIL is a game warden and has certified citations with scales. My "master angler" fish pictured above was approved with just a cell phone picture. Doesn't instill confidence in the system.

In case anyone didn't catch the sarcasm, yes, I think master angler programs are a bit silly.

Depends on where you are. My BIL is a game warden and has certified citations with scales. My "master angler" fish pictured above was approved with just a cell phone picture. Doesn't instill confidence in the system.

In case anyone didn't catch the sarcasm, yes, I think master angler programs are a bit silly.
I guess you didn’t catch my sarcasm either. I can tell that’s a nice fish.

Can anyone change my mind that "master angler" status is the most ridiculous thing in the world when it comes to fishing? It takes zero extra skill to catch a huge fish vs a small fish. A 3 yo with a snoopy rod can catch a 24" trout, silliness i tell ya. Yeah, I'm bored, looking to start some pot stirring 🤣🤣
F456799D-7E5A-4440-B965-F46CE07A3FB7.jpeg0B315D38-4221-4F4E-9CEB-2D9F4349C4A4.jpeg
Her first fish... 3yo, snoopy pole, not quite 24” but close enough. Best part about the whole experience was as the fish came out of the water she said, “I can’t wait to eat it!”

Back