Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Master angler

Bigjay73

Can anyone change my mind that "master angler" status is the most ridiculous thing in the world when it comes to fishing? It takes zero extra skill to catch a huge fish vs a small fish. A 3 yo with a snoopy rod can catch a 24" trout, silliness i tell ya. Yeah, I'm bored, looking to start some pot stirring 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I’m in complete agreement as far as adults are concerned. It seems like it’s a good program for kids, but why any adult would care about getting a worthless piece of paper is beyond me.

Is this a FWP program? I know they have a Master Hunter certificate which is worthless.

I would strongly disagree that consistently catching large fish does not take a higher level of angling skill.

Is this a FWP program? I know they have a Master Hunter certificate which is worthless.

I would strongly disagree that consistently catching large fish does not take a higher level of angling skill.
Not sure about FWP, but Colorado has a MA program. I agree that consistently catching big fish takes skill, but when the prize is literally a piece of paper and your name on a list, who cares. It’s not as exclusive as it sounds. Imagine if the BC minimum for mule deer was 150.

Master angler isn't about consistency, you only have to catch 1 fish. How do you consistently catch large fish other than use large lures? I've caught more large fish than I can remember, but caught a ton of small ones in between, isn't it just playing the odds? Am I a better fisherman than the next guy because I've caught 10 bass over 10 lbs? I'm thinking its more how many hours you spend fishing, how many casts you make.

Last edited:

FWP actually does not have a Master Hunter Program. The Montana Master Hunter Program is ran by a non-profit.

Can anyone change my mind that "master angler" status is the most ridiculous thing in the world when it comes to fishing? It takes zero extra skill to catch a huge fish vs a small fish. A 3 yo with a snoopy rod can catch a 24" trout, silliness i tell ya. Yeah, I'm bored, looking to start some pot stirring 🤣🤣
Yeah it’s a weird phenomenon in the industry for sure, I heard Wyoming started a master program for setting baits for the spring bear season.

Master angler isn't about consistency, you only have to catch 1 fish. How do you consistently catch large fish other than use large lures? I've caught more large fish than I can remember, but caught a ton of small ones in between, isn't it just playing the odds? Am I a better fisherman than the next guy because I've caught 10 bass over 10 lbs? I'm thinking its more how many hours you spend fishing, how many casts you make.
I don’t care about this master angler thing you are talking about. I would agree that sometimes it’s luck, and time on the water is everything. There are however anglers that learn the location, habits, attitude etc of larger specimens of a given species, and target those fish. For instance, there’s a guide on CXI that is known for catching big GT’s (25#-50#+) I fished with him several days and learned that he targets the big GT’s in a completely different manner than the small (5-25#) fish. The bigger ones prefer different water, different size of bait, different action on the bait, etc etc. After 3 days of getting denied by the jumbo GT’s, we went and caught a smaller one on the first cast. Younger fish are more eager to eat and easier to land. No different than how we target the bigger lake trout on flathead different than we would “any fish.”

Just my opinion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back