Massachusetts - Sunday Hunting Bill

My aunt and uncle lived in Barre for 30 years, in past she's made comments about being "scared of getting shot" during hunting season. I finally confronted her about it and asked if she had ever seen a hunter in the woods, to which she replied no.

So I agree it's all about people feeling safe... but I'm not sure if reality matches perception.
This is a battle I'm facing with my wife. I asked her to listen to my letter to the Rep. to get her opinion on whether it sounded ok, to which she replied "why would you want to take away the one day people can go into the woods..." there is definitely a (false) perception of danger in the woods if there are hunters in there.

I'm not sure if it's an appropriate comparison, but I think that it's similar to planes. The only stories you hear about are the ones crashing, even though it's incredibly rare (and people know that). Regardless, a lot of people think about those things when they get onto a flight. Hunting accidents, particularly involving non-hunters, are incredibly rare, but people worry about it when they go in the woods. I'm not sure how you overcome that, particularly in a state that may not have the support of hunters like others do.

It is a safety issue for sure and of course an anti hunter thing. We don't have big areas of public land so we are on top of each other here, even in the forest. I have always had dogs and love to just walk the woods. During hunting season if i do not have a bow in hand, I'm not in the woods. Part of it is for safety and the other is that i don't want to screw up somebody's hunt. I am an advocate for sunday hunting because it gives the working stiff twice as much time in the woods. But this will never pass. Never does. Still worth a try though.

My aunt and uncle lived in Barre for 30 years, in past she's made comments about being "scared of getting shot" during hunting season. I finally confronted her about it and asked if she had ever seen a hunter in the woods, to which she replied no.

So I agree it's all about people feeling safe... but I'm not sure if reality matches perception.

unfortunately that is the common perception out in that area. The truth of the matter is hunters and true outdoorsman out in that area are like fish out of water, I was constantly justifying my existence to people who had no idea, and in a way it was good because I opened some peoples eyes to reality, but most never will and the millions that live in the 495 loop don't care to. But in the end, it's an uphill battle and the hunters and outdoorsman are a dying breed.

The day I drove out of that State for good was a feeling of relief like no other, similar to when I drove out of the front gates of base when I finished serving my 4 years, an absolute feeling of freedom & rebirth.

I lived in a state with no Sunday hunting. Why can you go golfing but not hunting? Just shorten the season if it's a "number of hunt days" kind of thing. If it's a religious thing then it should apply to golfing.
With so few politicians that believe in God these days, I'm surprised this law still stands.

Link below is one of the many reasons Sunday hunting in Ma is a long shot. These groups are well funded and vocal.

I think on a number issues hunters do themselves a huge disservice by being dicks and/or anti-social.

I realize that people have limited time/energy etc that keep them from going to public meetings, writing letters, making phone calls etc. I sure know I do... but what I can do and I think what every hunter should try to do is be a good ambassador for the sport.

In the long run it's worth it to have a positive interaction with a non-hunter and blow up your hunting day.

Wave/ say high, be respectful, remain calm when people are mad at you, take the time to explain to people why your doing what your, understand the ethical arguments for hunting, have them rehearsed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back