Caribou Gear

Maryland snakehead

PAGOAT

After 10 trips down to the upper Chesapeake bay I finally got into the snakehead I wanted to catch. It started by fishing the Conowingo dam for shad in April and watching people catch a few. I watched YouTube and kept pulling the boat to the flats. I gotta say its one of the best eating fish I have had.

Attachments

• IMG_5235.jpg
    IMG_5235.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5237.jpg
    IMG_5237.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5238.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5304.JPG
    IMG_5304.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5296.jpg
    IMG_5296.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 22
@PAGOAT Those frequent in your area? Any concerns handling them? Lastly, they in the good eats category?

Oh, almost forgot... I have a bad ass 50 Mercury 2 stroke I'll trade ya for that cheesey Yamaha 4 stroke 115... deal?

Maryland has a lot of the snake heads, they say they're very aggressive and eat most other fish. To me they seem like they are more of a bass type fish as far as fishing for them. Concern on handling them is the have a mouth full of teeth similar to a Musky and to legally keep on he has to have his gills cut out. I got a fish grabber tool ordered after trying to hold him behind the head and slice his gills out with a Havalon. As far as eating they are a very white meat. My wife is a fish snob and only eats walleye, I had her try some and she came back saying "you should go catch more" 🤷‍♂️

The Susquehanna flats and upper Chesapeake area is an awesome place. I’ve caught a few nice largemouth as a bi-catch fishing for stripers, but never a snakehead. Very cool!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back