marmot tungsten or limelight 3p

chris_l

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these tents. Looking for something for me and my dad to pack in during Sept in colorado. I found quite a few reviews that say they are decent tents for the price. Other suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I don't have experience with either but I will recommend that you'll want to get a 4 man tent if possible. It might be worth the extra weight for the next size bigger especially if weather turns south and you're stuck inside with all your gear.

I have a Marmot Limelight 2p and it has been a solid tent for me. It isn't the lightest, but it is simple and pretty tough.

If you two split up a 4p Tungsten you will each will each be carrying in about 4.5 lbs of tent vs. just under 3lbs with the 3p. You should try and get into an REI and see these tents set up. Mthuntr is right that a 3p is not going to be very roomy with two guys, for an extended period. You can certainly do it though.

I have used the Limelight 3p for work on occasion. It's a palace for one person. Two people would fit but might get a little cramped if you're having to spend time in the tent waiting out bad weather. The dual door design would be nice if using it with 2 people. The vestibule area isn't the biggest but you should be able to wedge your hunting back underneath just fine. One aspect I did appreciate with the tent, the vestibule / rain fly goes down fairly low on the sides of the tent. Definitely a nice feature when the wet weather never stops and the wind starts blowing.

I've never used a Tungsten but one aspect I like about the tungsten vs. the limelight is the doors zip to the side rather than to the bottom. In the Limelight you open the door fully and you feel like you're crawling / stepping on the mesh door material as you get in and out of the tent. If the doors zip to the side you can clip the material to the side out of the way and not feel like you're potentially putting a hole in the material. Just based on pictures of the Tungsten, it looks like it has more mesh material for ventilation. I never had a problem with condensation in the Limelight but felt it could have used more mesh rather than solid fabric. Not sure if that'll be a problem with two people or not.

Back