Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Marcus Aurelius Meditations

I read it yearly. It’s well worth the time. Self awareness, and accountability, our place in humanity ..his perspective is timeless

Yup, not yearly, but reflect upon it at times.

@Trial153 is spot on. Don't ignore Seneca if you enjoy meditations.

Edit: dalios principles is good as well

It’s helped me reframe a lot of things as well as process the …baggage that comes with public service. I also enjoyed Unshakable Freedom: Ancient Stoic Secrets Applied to Modern Life by Chuck Chakrapani.

If you want to follow the tap root even deeper than Marcus Aurelius, read Confucius, try a Roger Ames translation. Shared real estate with the topics listed previously in this thread. Aurelius died in 121 AD, Confucius covered everything Aurelius did and died 600 years earlier.

Nice to find such an erudite bunch in here.
I dunno, had to look up erudite!

I dunno, had to look up erudite!
Been called a lot of things.
That is not one of them.

Personally fond of Homer & Kipling. TR. Paine.
Never got into the Romans.
Never wanted to understand the chicoms.

Been called a lot of things.
That is not one of them.

Personally fond of Homer & Kipling. TR. Paine.
Never got into the Romans.
Never wanted to understand the chicoms.
cmon, no art of war? you gotta know your enemy.....

interesting note on chicoms, from.....i think a maxwell book? or outliers? could be someone else, but to summarize:

after looking at incident rates of aircraft crashes, and going beyond the mechanical aspects and looking specifically at pilot-copilot relation and the social/cultural areas they are from, the person found that american piloted planes had less accidents than asian (going broad, but think specifically it was chinese). reason being, after more research-an american co pilot will speak up to his pilot, as americans speak out far more, whereas chinese society teaches strict obedience to leaders, and a chinese copilot, when knowing the action is wrong, will still follow those orders and not act on his own better wisdom or knowledge.

was an interesting concept. ill have to breeze through my books though to narrow that down..

there is also a construct, though hearsay as i never truly looked in my private days, that all ATC towers must speak english. with communication of pilot to tower/ground, its not as if you must know every word given how coded it can be.

....you freaking luddite!

cmon, no art of war? you gotta know your enemy.....

interesting note on chicoms, from.....i think a maxwell book? or outliers? could be someone else, but to summarize:

after looking at incident rates of aircraft crashes, and going beyond the mechanical aspects and looking specifically at pilot-copilot relation and the social/cultural areas they are from, the person found that american piloted planes had less accidents than asian (going broad, but think specifically it was chinese). reason being, after more research-an american co pilot will speak up to his pilot, as americans speak out far more, whereas chinese society teaches strict obedience to leaders, and a chinese copilot, when knowing the action is wrong, will still follow those orders and not act on his own better wisdom or knowledge.

was an interesting concept. ill have to breeze through my books though to narrow that down..

there is also a construct, though hearsay as i never truly looked in my private days, that all ATC towers must speak english. with communication of pilot to tower/ground, its not as if you must know every word given how coded it can be.

....you freaking luddite!
No...I'm anidiot...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back