maps

mixedbag

Who to you guys use to but maps of your hunting areas?I need a good map of deer unit 34 in Wy.I have the gps chip for Wy,but would like a paper map as well .Time to start scouting the unit from 2000 miles away on google earth as well
I need a pretty detailed map for the unit;thanks

I should add that the middle step is printing "As PDF", then carry to kinkos on stick drive. I've printed dozens that way over past several years - usually 11x17".

For all you map experts, do the maps you use show the various Forest Service trails, whether they be open for ATV or foot travel?
My Colorado topo map program often doesn't have the trails marked on them like the quadrangles do, so when loaded into a GPS, they are lacking.

if going into new area especially backcountry i print up a color topo with trails marked(i add if needed based on research), water marked, points of interest (saddles, burns, zone boundries etc) and possible spotting points marked, then i get google earth images of entire area and print it out also. both on 11x17 paper then i go to kinkos and have it laminated back-to-back. i find myself using that satellite image a lot.

C

I should add that the middle step is printing "As PDF", then carry to kinkos on stick drive. I've printed dozens that way over past several years - usually 11x17".
The PDFs you're generating from there are georeferenced, which means you can load them into the Avenza app, if you have a smartphone, and it'll show you trekking around on your map. The various Adobe PDF viewers will also tell you the coordinates of your cursor location as you move it around the map.

For all you map experts, do the maps you use show the various Forest Service trails, whether they be open for ATV or foot travel?
My Colorado topo map program often doesn't have the trails marked on them like the quadrangles do, so when loaded into a GPS, they are lacking.
You can get motor vehicle use maps from the USFS that are georeferenced PDFs, which when loaded into the Avenza app on a smartphone allow real-time navigation.

Below is a link that can display roads and trails that are open to some kind of motorized use in the national forests. Each time you open the map and turn data layers on/off the data comes straight from a GIS server run by the USFS to your screen. The map opens at a random spot in CO south of Denver. This data should be the same as the USFS printed Motor Vehicle Use Map.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gma...com/p/public_land_map/USA/USFS_recreation.txt

Click "About this map" in the upper left corner to:
1. See the map legend
2. Learn how to turn other overlay data layers on/off
3. Get more tips for using the map.

Turn on the data layer Motor_data_status to see if the 'motor use' data is available on the USFS GIS server for your favorite national forest.

To see hi-res topos change the basemap to "t4 Topo High"

I am the developer of Gmap4 which is an enhanced Google map viewer that is displaying the map. This project is a public service by me and part of my way to "pay it forward". Anyone can use Gmap4 for any non-commercial purpose.

I have also produced Gmap4 maps for a number of states with info useful to hunters. Those map links are at http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map.html

@mixedbag: I have not yet produced a set of GIS maps for WY but will do so in due course. I did just look to see if I could find the WY hunt unit data on a GIS server but failed. When I produce maps for WY I will contact the state and ask if this data is available on a public-facing GIS server.

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Back