Managing the ‘plethora of riches’ -Martha Williams on Meateater

The atlatl really isn’t germane to elk management in this day and age.

My understanding is: If the hunter was using a spear, he was most likely using a throwing device. The mechanical advantages were too great not to.

Not sure about the first people to arrive in NA, but I do know when the Europeans arrived, the spears flying at them, were thrown from atlatls.

Haha, well I knew what it was too but couldn't remember what it was called. Didn't realize it was that common though. Did they say that's what they brought with them when the first came into North America?

Not knowing the device shows a lack of general hunting knowledge is all I am saying. If I could chuck a spear at an elk I may have one down already :LOL:

The atlatl really isn’t germane to elk management in this day and age.

The comments on social science did not surprise me. I was on a deer management goal setting team for the Minnestoa DNR back in 2015. After a while they made it clear that the hunter's, agriculture, and general public's perception of deer population is what mattered most. Not the actual trends in population or severe winters. If people in town felt like too many deer were in their gardens or on the roads the DNR would have more antlerless permits for a 800 sq mile permit area. They said hunters could make the personal choice to not shoot antlerless deer if they felt the population was too low in their area. Works great when the majority of hunters show up for only 3-5 days and base their hunting on what permits are available :rolleyes:. The population estimates had issues as well when they had over-estimated some permit areas populations by 50-100%. No announcement or anything, just go back and update all of their reports from 20+ deer per sq mile to 10-12 dpsm or whatever the number is...

In a way its good to know there are similar issues in MT :cautious:

My biggest take away was, she heads up a fish and game commission and doesn't know what an atlatl is. Arguably the most common hunting weapon for all of mankind.
I'm only 20 minutes into it, I'm sure other things were more important. But cm'on. I've known that since elementary school.

... and Rinella couldn't come up with Jai alai

google archer + Jai Alai... It's mostly fine... but I didn't want @neffa3 to get in trouble again

I found the Smith - Madison interesting... I can't imagine the Smith without the permit system. IMHO that river is at absolute maximum capacity already.

Has a CO OTC Elk feel...you're gonna catch fish, you and everyone else.

I found the Smith - Madison interesting... I can't imagine the Smith without the permit system. IMHO that river is at absolute maximum capacity already.

Has a CO OTC Elk feel...you're gonna catch fish, you and everyone else.
Agree on the Smith...one day I may draw a permit.

Permitting the Madison, I think is a option worth considering.

This past week I was given a report on the Blackfoot; out of a handful of commercial users, one was utilizing around 70% of the trips taken. That's a huge impact from just one outfitter. "Loving it to death" is a real deal. Degradation is being seen in parking areas, launches, and campgrounds along the river. If the trend continues the resource will also continue to degrade.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back