Managing Joint Inflammation (Long Term Strategies)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Fancy ski town docs and all.
But seriously, that's a real thing.

100% would see an ortho in Vail over anywhere in the US.

Ortho in New York, "You should probably just stop doing...."

Ortho in Vail, "You should be able to hit 80ft cliffs by May, I'm going to schedule this procedure for next week and you that should allow you to go partial send by March, like 15ft"

I've had a few minor foot/ankle issues my experience with a MD on the East Coast and back home was dramatically different. The doc in Boston "had never seen that before", and I chit you not the MD in Vail looked at my ankle and said "You came up short on a landing a couple months ago and then have been trail running on it right?" :oops:

Just a few weeks ago I finished up with a six month stint of physical therapy on my ankle due to a day in July when I leapt from a boat on Holter Lake and collided with mother earth unnaturally. Really f'd my ankle up.

Definitely not the same thing you are dealing with but it sounds like ankle strength is not an issue with you, but maybe rather mobility. Nothing has helped me more throughout the most recent ankle injury as well as a lifetime of adult achilles pain, as much as eccentric heel drops. Really stretches out your achilles and calf, and if those things are enflamed I could imagine having more mobility in those areas leaving you with a bit more wiggle room.

I do 3 sets of 10 with a straight leg in the morning and another 3 sets in the evening with a slightly bent knee.

I fully ruptured (snapped) my achilles playing basketball just over 2 yrs ago at 30.5 yrs old. Never had achilles issues before that day. Now I need to do those heel drops a few days a week or the reattached achilles gives me issues. I can run and hike steep stuff without the achilles giving me issues. I would think the heel drops would help with the peroneal tendon since its all connected to the calf.

Follow an AIP diet
With cramping consider a calcium/magnesium supplement
Pack out bones down to the hoof and make bone stock/broth. Keep meat with lots of connective tissue (neck/shanks) and braise.. Both the meat and the broth will be rich in glucosamine, chondroitin, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and omega 3s...all are great for inflammation.

Follow an AIP diet
Pack out bones down to the hoof and make bone stock/broth. Keep meat with lots of connective tissue (neck/shanks) and braise.. Both the meat and the broth will be rich in glucosamine, chondroitin, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and omega 3s...all are great for inflammation.
How about you come pack the bones out for me :)
Seriously thanks though I was hoping you'd chime in. One of my to-do's for next year is more bone-in shanks.

Follow an AIP diet
Getting to be hard to do as NR hunters. Only boneless cuts allowed back into WA from MT or WY.

Yeah, packing additional weight on bad joints is kind of self defeating, but have a big supply of high quality, mineral rich bone broth is worth it. It really is a long term solution and not too costly in terms of dollars spent. If you bought the four items I listed above in supplement form, they'd be roughly $20 each.

Yeah, packing additional weight on bad joints is kind of self defeating, but have a big supply of high quality, mineral rich bone broth is worth it. It really is a long term solution and not too costly in terms of dollars spent. If you bought the four items I listed above in supplement form, they'd be roughly $20 each.
Good reason to shoot an extra easy whitetail doe.

Just a small word of caution on the keto diet. My FIL almost died last year due to a lack of fiber in his diet. Sorta a unique condition, but there is some truth to "everything in moderation"

my diet has been whittled down to extremely low fiber and i keep wondering if i should be careful about that. i see reputable science and smart people on both sides of the argument

all i know is that intestinal discomfort that i generally had on a very regular basis has disappeared since reducing the fiber in my diet to nearly nothing. years past, i'd been to the ER once for a false alarm appendicitis and almost went back to the ER not even 6 months ago for extreme intestinal cramping, goddamn was it extreme.....

since like november i've been playing around with a very low fiber and very low carb diet and we've been experimenting with about 12 oz of organ meats and probably 5 oz of grass fed bone marrow a week, i have never felt better and my sleep is rapidly improving. though improved sleep has been greatly confounded by going cold turkey nicotine in mid december

My right ankle is fused together from a motocross accident. Broke shoulder, finders, toes all from motocross accidents. And yes I was actually really good but......

I have severe arthritis. Without medication i cant sleep or walk. Got to the point I was literally crawling at night to the bathroom until I slowly put weight on my body.

I know can hunt and hike with the best of them. My hunts usually consist of 10plus miles a day on really bad steep terrain. I run a couple days a week and bike. What changed for me was realizing I have an issue. Swelling is your body telling you there is something wrong. If you don't get it under control arthritis will set in. I am not talking about a few aches and pains. Debilitating arthritis. I saw as Rheumatologist and I got on Enbrel. Drug directly from god. Take a shot and I am as good as new within a day. I have been on it for 10 years.

How much of what we think is "Bad Joint" pain is really referred pain from muscle imbalances and tension and adhesions?

If your muscles are flexible then the connective tissue is not under stress or pulling joints out of alignment.

Have you heard the analogy about pulling bodies out of the river? Some people are standing by a river when they see some bodies being dragged under by the current – people are drowning – so they rush over and pull the bodies out. But while they’re in the middle of that, more bodies come along that need to be pulled out the river. At some point, you need to stop pulling bodies out, and send someone upstream to work out why people are falling into the river in the first place. If you can stop so many people falling in upstream, you won’t have to do so much work pulling bodies out downstream.
Of course if you have torn cartilage already you know what the problem is. But I think early intervention on muscle issues will prevent many joint issues. Massage and Active Release have been my go to's so far.

Good reason to shoot an extra easy whitetail doe.
An outfitter called me and asked if I wanted to go on a pig hunt that was "all you can shoot, just bring enough tags" as a rancher wanted them gone. I went and filled three tags, but the group filled 12 total and I got the trotters from 10. Made some killer pig jello.

my diet has been whittled down to extremely low fiber and i keep wondering if i should be careful about that. i see reputable science and smart people on both sides of the argument

all i know is that intestinal discomfort that i generally had on a very regular basis has disappeared since reducing the fiber in my diet to nearly nothing. years past, i'd been to the ER once for a false alarm appendicitis and almost went back to the ER not even 6 months ago for extreme intestinal cramping, goddamn was it extreme.....

since like november i've been playing around with a very low fiber and very low carb diet and we've been experimenting with about 12 oz of organ meats and probably 5 oz of grass fed bone marrow a week, i have never felt better and my sleep is rapidly improving. though improved sleep has been greatly confounded by going cold turkey nicotine in mid december
A couple of things that come to mind.
1. Sorry @SnowyMountaineer for derailing the thread
2. At our age our bodies can handle extremes better than older people can.
3. Big picture, there too much evolutionary history that we, as human animals, ate plenty of food that wasn't meat. So while meat may do a lot of really great things, there may be some side affects long term. My FIL felt the best he ever had until the day before he was in the ER.
4. We're all different, learning your own body is great
lastly, that's really awesome you're feeling so good, I hope it keeps up. And congrats on kicking nicotine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back