Making the ferry to Hollis at Ketchikan?

MThuntr

How much time has it taken you to make it out of the terminal/baggage claim to get to the ferry?

Looks like Alaska changed our flight times for our POW trip and pushed our comfortable +2hour window to likely less than 45 minutes. The updated landing time is now 2:45 with the Ferry launch at 3:30. Seems like we're likely not going to make it without everything going perfectly.

How much time has it taken you to make it out of the terminal/baggage claim to get to the ferry?

Looks like Alaska changed our flight times for our POW trip and pushed our comfortable +2hour window to likely less than 45 minutes. The updated landing time is now 2:45 with the Ferry launch at 3:30. Seems like we're likely not going to make it without everything going perfectly.
2 hours is not "comfortable" flying into Ketchikan lol

It does take some time to get to the ferry. Baggage claim is very quick and easy as its just the one flight landing there. However, you need to shuttle across the strait to get to Ketchikan and its a bit of a walk with baggage to go from where there ferry lands to the ferry that heads to Hollis. I would say that best case scenario hitting everything perfect you are looking at probably looking at like 40 minutes from wheels down to standing in the entry line onto the Hollis ferry. I could see a scenario where it could take as much as 90 minutes. You then have the fact that departure times out of Seattle up to AK are commonly delayed...

2 hours is not "comfortable" flying into Ketchikan lol

It does take some time to get to the ferry. Baggage claim is very quick and easy as its just the one flight landing there. However, you need to shuttle across the strait to get to Ketchikan and its a bit of a walk with baggage to go from where there ferry lands to the ferry that heads to Hollis. I would say that best case scenario hitting everything perfect you are looking at probably looking at like 40 minutes from wheels down to standing in the entry line onto the Hollis ferry. I could see a scenario where it could take as much as 90 minutes. You then have the fact that departure times out of Seattle up to AK are commonly delayed...
your snarky 2hr comment wasn't helpful or necessary. I think most of us were closer to 5hrs but couldn't remember the full group's details so that's why I said +2hrs.

The rest of the was very helpful though thanks. I did think 90 might be more accurate.

Last edited:
your snarky 2hr comment wasn't necessary. I think most of us were closer to 5hrs but couldn't remember the full group's details so that's why I said +2hrs.

The rest of the was very helpful though thanks. I did think 90 might be more accurate.
not intended to be snarky...sorry. Was just making a joke about how AK time is not the same as US time!

The ferry from the airport island to the city departs every 30 minutes, so you'd need to be sure to catch the 3:00 ride or you'll be there until 3:30. On my trips, luggage has been ready to pick up very quickly.

Getting a taxi to take you from the airport to the ferry terminal is a big unknown. Last year I had to wait about an hour for a taxi.

Last summer there was major construction happening on the city side of the airport campus. That complicated things too. I haven't seen a recent update on that project.

I walked from the airport to the Inter-Island Ferry terminal once. It's not a bad walk if you have a small amount of luggage, just over 0.5 miles from airport ferry ramp to the IFA terminal. If using rolling luggage, sturdy and larger-diameter wheels would be helpful. The sidewalk isn't smooth. Mine tipped over into puddles more than once.

I wouldn't chance it. I'd either try to change commercial flights, use an air taxi, or spend the night in Ketchikan.

I think it could be done without luggage if everything went nearly perfect. Getting your baggage there in 45 minutes would be extremely tight. You might make it but I would have alternative plans for sure.

One option you might look into is flying from Ketchikan to POW and then taking the ferry back.

I would not plan on making that ferry connection. Wheels down at 2:45 will not be enough time. They start boarding the ferry at 2:30 and are closing the gates usually by 3:15 or before. 3:30 departure is not 3:30 last call boarding time.

Like npaden suggests your options are fly over on Island Air into Klawock (or you could charter a float plane for an airport pick-up & go to where you want). Or spend the night in Ketchikan and ferry the next day.

Back