Making It Easy Loading An Elk

Just for the record I personally don't care how anyone gets there animals out. This forum is to help others as much as anything and was trying to offer the fact that it's easier in most ways to quarter them. Dragging an elk 100 yds is 99 to far. No judgement at all on how the op did it

Buzz how did you age your moose? or elk? do you have a walk in cooler?

I don't have a walk in cooler.

As to aging...lots of debate on that issue. From everything I've read and experienced first hand, how long to age is up for debate.

As long as it isn't cooled too fast, IMO/E aging game should be no longer than 3-7 days depending on a whole list of variables.

Because wild meat like elk, moose, deer, antelope are not covered in fat like a beef, aging times are going to be way shorter. The meat dehydrates fast on leaner animals, too fast IMO/E. The amount of loss via dehydration and additional trimming required is counter-productive to any gain in aging.

The animals I shot in Wyoming this year were all aged for 4-5 days with the bone in the quarters. In warmer weather, and when cooling is slower, aging time is shortened and I don't think additional aging time will gain much of anything.

Lots of theories on care of wild meat...but I believe that 3-7 days of "aging" is more than enough. Cutting all fat, silver-skin, tendons, not cutting any bone, etc. will yield a lot better finished product. How the meat is cooked also plays a huge part in the final product, probably as much or more important than aging.

We use a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood that we carry in the bed of the truck. When loading the animal, we slide the plywood down to cover the tailgate, making a ramp with the plywood. 9 times out of 10, the plywood is pulled into the truck bed with the animal. Sounds easier than it really is, but it works if you don't have several helpers with you.
Congrats on the kill, and the loading of your Elk.

This is handy too, but you don't always have a tractor around. I keep the winch in the back of the truck wherever I go. I don't always carry a ramp...

scan0006-3.jpg

scan0022-1.jpg

Flash back to 2010, likely the last time this will ever happen to me. I felt guilty at first, but then the whiskey and Stihl took over.

It was on my good friends ranch down in the Paradise Valley. We got the tractor up 4 miles into the top of their place, bucked some logging slash to get'er down that close. Savor getting them out whole, but never ever ever expect it. GUTLESS is the way to go.

Attachments

• bBull2010-9.jpg
    bBull2010-9.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:
This is handy too, but you don't always have a tractor around. I keep the winch in the back of the truck wherever I go. I don't always carry a ramp...

scan0006-3.jpg

scan0022-1.jpg

Hunting elk near the truck, who would have thunk?

I guess if I lived in a condo and needed to keep my floor clean..

Apparently it must be a "condo" if the garage doesn't have a dirt floor, a hillbilly standing in the corner with bibs and a slouch hat, and exposed 2x4's for walls...

The finish work in the garage is pretty good though...see where you may be confused.:)

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Sorry if I struck a nerve about your fine condo living.. Well, not really fine by the looks of your neighbors, but I didn't want to hurt your feelers again.

I don't have a walk in cooler.

As to aging...lots of debate on that issue. From everything I've read and experienced first hand, how long to age is up for debate.

As long as it isn't cooled too fast, IMO/E aging game should be no longer than 3-7 days depending on a whole list of variables.

Because wild meat like elk, moose, deer, antelope are not covered in fat like a beef, aging times are going to be way shorter. The meat dehydrates fast on leaner animals, too fast IMO/E. The amount of loss via dehydration and additional trimming required is counter-productive to any gain in aging.

The animals I shot in Wyoming this year were all aged for 4-5 days with the bone in the quarters. In warmer weather, and when cooling is slower, aging time is shortened and I don't think additional aging time will gain much of anything.

Lots of theories on care of wild meat...but I believe that 3-7 days of "aging" is more than enough. Cutting all fat, silver-skin, tendons, not cutting any bone, etc. will yield a lot better finished product. How the meat is cooked also plays a huge part in the final product, probably as much or more important than aging.

I agree with most of what you have posted, but IMO ageing is the first and most important part of the process. The larger you can leave the elk or pieces of elk the less drying out you will have, in turn you can age longer. Without a walk in cooler that can keep a constant cool temp, ageing is just a guess. Two years ago I shot a 1 1/2 year old cow that I had to take to a different butcher, he must have not aged it long enough and the meat was extremely tough for being a young cow. I have had 10 year old bulls that were not as tough as that 1 1/2 year old cow. I will always try to get my elk out whole if possible, IMO it is the best way to take care of the meat.

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Sorry if I struck a nerve about your fine condo living.. Well, not really fine by the looks of your neighbors, but I didn't want to hurt your feelers again.

My neighbors are all actually pretty cool...UW head basketball coach is my next door neighbor to the South, assistant coach lives in the house directly to the West. Great people and neighbors, I have no complaints.

Maybe I'll take my hurt feelers down to the 2k SF trophy room, belly up to the bar, and drown my sorrows with some "home brew"

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00731.JPG

Easy place to kick back in and enjoy a cocktail:

Really dig the 10 foot ceilings, makes the animals look good and gives me plenty of needed wall space:

DSC00725.JPG

DSC00726.JPG

DSC00723.JPG

DSC00728.JPG

DSC00727.JPG

They don't all fit in the "cellar"...and 2 of the 3 B&C pronghorn my wife shot have to reside upstairs...its pure misery, but I'll survive.

DSC00720.JPG

Hanging meat for 3 days at an internal temp of 60 degrees will yield the same benefit as hanging it for a week at 35 degrees. Study done at University of Wyoming, Dr. Ray Field.

I agree with most of what you have posted, but IMO ageing is the first and most important part of the process. The larger you can leave the elk or pieces of elk the less drying out you will have, in turn you can age longer. Without a walk in cooler that can keep a constant cool temp, ageing is just a guess. Two years ago I shot a 1 1/2 year old cow that I had to take to a different butcher, he must have not aged it long enough and the meat was extremely tough for being a young cow. I have had 10 year old bulls that were not as tough as that 1 1/2 year old cow. I will always try to get my elk out whole if possible, IMO it is the best way to take care of the meat.

I wonder if you got your meat back from the butcher from 1.5 year old cow you shot? I would be suspect that you didn't get back what you took into the butcher shop.

Exactly why I don't trust a butcher shop and do my own meat cutting.

You didn't get your cow back, how does getting an animal out whole effect the quality?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back