Caribou Gear

Maine Moose Draws

brownbear932008

They are out as of now if anyone is looking. No luck here! Only 3 long shot tags on the big 3 in MT. is my only hope this year at this point.

Me and my buddy have decided to hit Newfoundland next year we figure $100 bucks a year to Maine X 20 years = $2000.00 bucks if you draw it in 20 years not counting inflation of tag fees ect. I'm not the outfitter type but in this case if we want a Canadian moose we may be better in the long run. I know guys that have applied 40 years and no tag yet up there even though I drew a cow tag my first year just never know. Wanting some moose meat badly here:D

I grew up in Maine, you could get 5 chances for $20.00. I will have to look to see if my dad or brothers scored a tag.

Me and my buddy have decided to hit Newfoundland next year we figure $100 bucks a year to Maine X 20 years = $2000.00 bucks if you draw it in 20 years not counting inflation of tag fees ect. I'm not the outfitter type but in this case if we want a Canadian moose we may be better in the long run. I know guys that have applied 40 years and no tag yet up there even though I drew a cow tag my first year just never know. Wanting some moose meat badly here:D

Took the Newfie Slam up there in 2008 and had a great hunt. Lots of moose, bear, and caribou are on the comeback I here. I hunted with Westwoods Outfitters and highly recommend them. If your looking for a bigger moose try an outfitter that does fly in hunts. The road system takes a beating from local hunters. Good huntin'

No tag for me, but I still have moose in the freezer from my New Hampshire bull. Didn't want to draw anyway. Going elk hunting this year. Good chance at the Oregon Mt. Emily tag else we'll be going to Colorado OTC.

Finally drew a Sept bull tag for northern zone 1 after waiting 34 years. Turning 70 with 40 bonus points did the trick. Gonna be a fun hunt. I've been fortunate to have tagged along on 7 previous hunts which were all successful.

Took the Newfie Slam up there in 2008 and had a great hunt. Lots of moose, bear, and caribou are on the comeback I here. I hunted with Westwoods Outfitters and highly recommend them. If your looking for a bigger moose try an outfitter that does fly in hunts. The road system takes a beating from local hunters. Good huntin'

Congrats! Yeah we have an outfitter picked out already Ironbound outfitters it seems to be a great fly out outfit they take some great Newfie moose with great results. I would love to do the Slam up there some brusier bear on that island I hear.

Finally drew a Sept bull tag for northern zone 1 after waiting 34 years. Turning 70 with 40 bonus points did the trick. Gonna be a fun hunt. I've been fortunate to have tagged along on 7 previous hunts which were all successful.

Sounds like you drew a good zone congrats and glad to see the bonus point system working up there for guys like you. I really hope you come back to give us the story of your moose hunt so we can enjoy it with you!

Congrats! Yeah we have an outfitter picked out already Ironbound outfitters it seems to be a great fly out outfit they take some great Newfie moose with great results. I would love to do the Slam up there some brusier bear on that island I hear.

I've heard good things about them as well. Best of luck and get a bear tag. I saw 5 the week I was up there and all three in my party took bears. Thank you!

2014 Maine Bull

Hi,
Thought I'd share the outcome of my September 2014 Maine moose hunt. I've been faithfully applying for 34 years since the Maine moose lottery began in 1980. I'm 70 so was starting to wonder how many years I physically had left to hunt the way I wanted. My pal Darren's 17 year old son had been drawn in 2013. His son had a brief chance at a tremendous bull on the 2nd day of last year's hunt but couldn't quite make it happen. He ended up taking a fine bull later that week.

Darren and I have been talking and thinking about this same critter for a year. The plan was set in place to go look for him this year once we knew I drew a tag for the same region. Opening Monday morning found us in the same general area. We spotted a cow along with four bulls in an open cut. One of the bulls was pretty nice and I disappointed a couple of the guys along on the trip who couldn't understand why I passed on him. Darren understood and knew I would hold out until the final hour. I was fully prepared to go home empty handed if I couldn't find a mid 50's bull with nice palms.

We continued to search for a nice bull during Monday and Tuesday without much success. Late Tuesday we found large fresh tracks and scrapes in the same area where we saw the big bull the prior year. Up until then we wondered if we were hunting a ghost that might have died over the winter or been shot by another hunter. Our confidence started to build. We tried to move in late Tuesday on a skidder trail for a calling setup but the wind was wrong. I was afraid we'd blow him out so opted for an alternate trail setup. Darren found a large 2 year old shed as we walked in on the trail and agreed it was probably a drop from our bull. We called in a medium size bull that evening on the trail and could hear other bulls raking and grunting. We left them and walked out at dark.

The wind and weather Wednesday morning was perfect for our planned calling setup on the skidder trail. We walked in before first light with no wind, light fog and frost. Darren softly issued an estrus cow call. Shortly thereafter a large cow stepped into the trail about a 100 yds below us. We heard soft grunts and raking so knew a bull was nearby. Darren decided to challenge the bull by softly grunting and raking with the shed he'd found the previous evening. This was too much for our ghost bull who stepped out in the trail to replace the cow. He faced us standing head on in the foggy first light. I had a good sight picture steadied by a small tree I could lean on but didn't feel good about taking a frontal shot. I looked down at Darren who was kneeling looking through his binos and wording SHOOT! I could tell the rack was wide but could n't distinguish palm width. I looked at Darren and mouthed the word SHOOT? Yes SHOOT!!

THE END...just kidding.

I had the black cross hairs lined up on his black chest somewhere when I touched one off. He immediately went down but staggered back up and disappeared in the fog. I was shooting my favorite 30-06 using 180 grain Nosler Partition handloads. It didn't take long to find a blood trail. We found where the bull went down twice over the 200 yds he traveled before I spotted him attempting to get up a third time. A quick shot anchored him at last. We stood in awe looking at the size of the rack and couldn't believe our luck finding the same bull from the previous year in the same spot. Darren called him in using the bull's own shed. The shed perfectly matched his left antler leaving no doubt.

Our bull has a 60" inside spread with 20 points weighing an even 880 lbs. I'm probably done applying in the Maine moose lottery. Darren's turn should be coming up next. We found a larger track of a different bull in the same area while pulling our bull out. I'm planning a Spring shed hunt for next year in the same spot. I think I passed on 6 bulls and spotted 5 cows before the hunt was over. A memorable hunt with good friends. Never would have turned out as well without Darren's expertise at calling and moose extraction techniques.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 506
That is an amazing bull. Congratulations. I thought the eastern moose was the smallest of the North American subspecies. I'd like to see more pictures of that.

Back