Magnification vs Exit pupil vs Field of view

kyle m

Exit Pupil vs Field of View vs Magnification

I'm trying to decide between 10x42, 10x50 or 12x50 binoculars. It looks like the decision can be made by deciding which of the following are most important- Exit pupil, Field of View or Magnification.

Here is the breakdown:

10X42
Exit pupil 4.2mm
Field of view 362'/1000 yards

10x50
Exit pupil 5mm
Field of view 315'/1000 yards

12x50
Exit pupil 4.2 mm
Field of view 285'/1000 yards

It basically looks like the decision is between magnification, field of view and exit pupil. My question is, what is the most important for you. This binos will be used on a tripod along with a 22-48x65mm spotter. My target is primarily mule deer along with an elk here and there. Which one do you pick and why?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go with 10x42s for glassing, then use your spotter to take a closer look once you see something. With the larger field of view you're going to see more with your bino's, then be able to narrow it down with your spotter. With good bino's you'll be able to at least pick up deer and definitely elk from afar, and then be able to determine if it's something you want to pursue with your spotter. I think 10x42s are versatile enough to work great when not on a tripod also. Just my 2 cents!

When I bought my Swarovskis I thought long and hard about it. Went with an 8x56 that = 7mm exit pupil for maximum light gathering. I can glass at dark-thirty and don't have to wait for more light. I also mount them on a tripod and if I see something that needs a closer look, I attach a doubler to it = 16x56

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back