LWCF gets dangerous amend from Daines!

Premature ejack! stay tuned for info at a later date. If I disappear have my wife go to the safety deposit box and watch the tape.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jan. 28, 2015[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Montana sportsmen and landowners urge Daines to reverse course, support access[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Controversial amendment would undermine popular Land & Water Conservation Fund[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bozeman, Mont. – Hunters, outfitters and anglers across Montana are sounding an alarm as lawmakers prepare to vote today on a proposal by U.S. Senator Steve Daines that undermines a longstanding tool for protecting access to hunting and fishing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Daines late Tuesday offered a controversial amendment that dismantles the popular Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) by directing its funding away from initiatives that improve public access to land and water.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Daines’ amendment directly competes with another Republican sponsored amendment to simply reauthorize the 50-year program. Both measures seek to amend a bill to approve the Keystone XL pipeline. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]LWCF, which enjoys bipartisan support and relies on offshore oil leases and not taxpayer funding, invests in everything from fishing access sites and trails to easements and parks. In Montana, LWCF is responsible for recently opening up public access to the famed Tenderfoot Creek in the Lewis and Clark National Forest. Additionally, half of the fishing access sites were purchased with LWCF dollars.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Sportsmen have been very clear on this for many years: Montanan’s rely on the Land and Water Conservation Fund, for public access and we’ve always had bi-partisan support,” said Randy Newberg, host and producer of the Bozeman Based television show, Fresh Tracks with Randy Newberg. “We want Senator Daines to support his fellow Republican, Senator Burr (NC), and back us on public access. It’s simple: reauthorize the program and help us access our public lands.” [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Daines’ amendment avoids reauthorizing LWCF’s funding. Observers fear it could undermine and unravel the program’s 50-year record of success.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The Land and Water Conservation Fund is vital to landowners striving to protect access, open spaces and wildlife. It is disappointing that Senator Daines has taken a position that is contrary to what his constituents have clearly and plainly said to him: Reauthorize LWCF,” said Jim Stone, a livestock producer from Ovando and Chairman of the Blackfoot Challenge. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Here is what other Montana sportsmen, outfitters, and businesses are saying about Daines’ anti-LWCF amendment:[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]“This should really be a simple vote to continue the effectiveness of LWCF with bipartisan support,” said Brian Solan, President of the Montana Wild Sheep Foundation ”But instead, Senator Daines’ amendment turns this important initiative into more red tape that prevents access to hunting and fishing across the nation.”[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]“[/FONT][FONT=&quot]We need Senator Daines to stand with us to secure a proven program that provides public access that will benefit current and future generations of Americans[/FONT][FONT=&quot],” said Mack Long, owner of Bob Marshall Wilderness Outfitters

[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]“Montanans are losing enough access already as more and more special interests roadblock our traditional access to public lands,” said Tony Jones, Ravalli County Fish & Wildlife Association “The last thing western sportsmen and women need are Washington DC politicians making it harder for sportsmen to access our public lands.”[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]"Last year the LWCF celebrated 50 successful years of bipartisan support in protecting some of America's great public landscapes. Our public lands in Montana are under attack from all sides. We are disappointed with Sen. Daines' attempt to dismantle such a successful public land conservation program. We hope Sen. Daines will reverse course and listen to the citizens of Montana." John Sullivan, Montana Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]“The members of the American Fly Fishing Trade Association’s economic bottom line rely upon healthy fisheries, and access to them. Funding LWCF has long been a priority of anglers across the nation, and we urge Sen. Daines to stand behind the manufactures, retailers, outfitters and guides who make fishing their vocation by reauthorizing LWCF as-is,” Ben Bulis, AFFTA president.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]###[/FONT]

I called Daines's office about this very issue several times , before the election , and got evasive, non-responsive answers, which I noted. He didn't get my vote. Some sportsmen will vote for him again. Pitiful.

Rob, as I explained in the PM, the Daine's amendment is rather sterile, doing nothing. Yet, it serves as a distraction and a cop out for a vote on a competing LWCF amendment sponsored by a fellow Republican, Senator Burr (NC), who is Daines' senior in the Senate.

Senator Burr added an amendment to the Keystone Pipeline bill that would have permanently reauthorized LWCF and earmarked 1.5% for hunting and fishing access. Great idea if you hunt or fish. Burr leads a group of Republican Senators who support LWCF. His amendment was very straightforward - renew the program and stop Congress from diverting the money.

Then along comes Daines with his competing amendment that gives cover to some Senators who don't want to be in a box on LWCF, rather they want some milk toast amendment that does nothing, yet allows them to say they voted to support the "notion" of LWCF.

Both amendments were voted on this morning. Daines amendment got smoked, not getting enough votes to even come close to acceptance. It died.

Burr's amendment was supported by many of his fellow Republicans. At the last minute a few of them switched sides. The amendment to reauthorize LWCF failed by ONE vote. Daines voted against it.

Now, a Montana Senator who three months ago ran on a campaign of not being a Beltway game player seems to have jumped right into the game playing and did so on an issue Montanans find very important - LWCF. To guys like me, who voted for him after listening to many conversations and being invited to some private group discussions with him and his staff, a vote like this requires some explaining.

In some private meetings I attended, he was asked flat out as to his position on reauthorization of LWCF. He went to great lengths to talk about his connection to public lands and how LWCF was so important to our Montana economy and how LWCF was a priority for him. This vote today seems contrary to that.

I don't expect him, or any politician, to agree with what I believe at every turn. I expect plenty of differences. Yet, when his fellow Republican Senator served up a great solution to an issue he proclaimed to be so important to Montana and having his support, it is very surprising and confusing to see him vote and submit amendments as he did. A hit to credibility, for sure.

I do expect politicians, if/when elected, to vote and act in a manner consistent with what representations they made when seeking votes for election. Maybe that is an unrealistic expectation on my part. When they don't vote and act according to what was represented, I feel it is important to speak out, whether I voted for them or not.

Fin, with respect for your involvement and more direct conversations with the Daines' camp, I strongly encourage you to express your disappointment clearly to Senator Daines, much as you have written it here. Thank-you.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this stuff and posting here - it makes a difference. I wouldn't have even known the LWCF existed if it wasn't for you guys. My workload prevents me from following much these days.

“I will not support any proposals that would reduce Montanans' access to our public lands - Steve Daines

I'm sorry, but Daines is a politician whose words are meaningless. Coming into the most recent election we had many years worth of actions from which we could gage the likelihood of his future decisions. To be blunt, this shouldn't surprise anyone - Daines is a political hack, in bed with, and endorsed by the Tea Party.

He has a history of being a Bu!!$#itter, taking credit for supporting access using LWCF monies where credit was not due. He has been and will continue to be, sleazy.

No really, just last year he signed a letter to then Speaker Boehner encouraging him to block state-specific solutions to managing public lands. I guess he thinks those solutions should be crafted by filthy rich interests and political tools like himself. He is and was a political hack, who saw an opportunity to fight Tester's FJRA, which I thought was a good bill - for Montana and for sportsmen.

In 2013, the Montana Conservation voters gave Daines a 4% on their report card - lower than Denny Rehberg used to get.

This is exactly who Steve Daines is. Expect more. Those who give him money and those he runs around with are those who support the Federal Land Transfer to the States. May he be judged by the company he keeps.

In 2012, Steve Daines held a fundraiser at a "museum" that seriously proclaims human beings rode dinosaurs. I anticipate his governance to be just as science and logic based.

Last edited:
While I am clearly angry at Daines for lying and being a scum sucking loser for going against everything he said in being in favor of public lands...... does this really matter since Obama is going to veto this whole bill anyway? Aren't we in the same position when that happens?

Just wondering.

While I am clearly angry at Daines for lying and being a scum sucking loser for going against everything he said in being in favor of public lands...... does this really matter since Obama is going to veto this whole bill anyway? Aren't we in the same position when that happens?

Just wondering.

If your child tells you they will do one thing and then does another, do you give them a pass because they only broke something small?

Just wondering.
Wow a lying, scum sucking republican, what a surprise!:W:

Image that, a politician playing politics with a meaningful bill that Montanans want.

This poor play on the old smoke and mirrors scheme should not go unnoticed by all of us in Montana.

No,

I meant in the greater scheme of things. Where do we go from here?

How do we get this funded? Or is all lost?

That is what I mean.

All is not lost. Yet.

But we're getting close.

LWCF has until this year to get reathorized. Given this congress' hard tack against public land and conservation in general, we'll be lucky just to keep the program. We can't count on the senate to stop bad things and we can't depend on the veto pen when we weigh in all political factors.

The saddest thing is that we had a chance to get this out of the way early in congress. Now, not only is LWCF going to be a much more difficult lift thanks to Senator Daines casting the deciding vote on the issue, it looks like it's going to be a long, acrimonious battle to simply keep what we have. There are a lot of groups kicking butt on this, including RMEF, BHA, TRCP NWF and others but it's not that much different than the Rough Riders charging up San Juan Hill & we're the front lines. I bet we win, but it will be bloody.

What stops this stupid anti- access, anti-public land movement taking over Congress is volume of opposition; volume of phone calls, volume of emails. All of this volume has to come from the American Public. Not in form letters, not in easy petitions online, but with bodies in the rallies across the U.S. This stops with you calling your senator or congressman or state legislator and telling them that enough is enough, and then call them again to make sure they heard you. It means sportsmen and women showing up to town halls and In getting 10 of your friends to do the same.

We change this by simply participating in democracy, just at a greater level. We beat this by being Americans. We beat this by rising up.

New Mexico just put over 300 people in the capitol to oppose the transfer and sale of public lands. Other states are next. Some proponents of transfer and sale are trying cheap political theatre to change the debate, but the proof is in the pudding. For at least the last 10 years, the people we are fighting have been trying to take the public out of public lands. Now, they've broadened that effort to your State House.

Find out when the rally for public lands is in your state and make the effort to show up, stand and be counted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back