Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Low on Speedgoat

I shot a doe this year. After aging for 4 or 5 days and removing the back straps and tenderloins I ground the rest and got something like 22 lbs of ground. I basically trashed the offside front quarter so it could've been a bit higher with no meat loss. All told, I doubt I could've went much over 32 or 33 pounds even if I had had no meat loss, and no rind to trim after aging.

I intentionally weighed my last few pronghorn yields. Two does @ about 30 pounds each, one buck at about 40 pounds.

70 is just guessing at the bulk of the antelope on irrigated land with food and water present compared to the ones that run regular on other land. Until I get a chance to butcher them no way to know for sure. I posted some pictures of them in my 2020 hunt thread here:

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/wyodoug-2020-antelope.301797/ post#13

Until I get permission on this piece of property for at least archery, I will always be guessing but these antelope are clearly bigger than the speed goats I seen elsewhere. 70 is a high end guess. They eat, water, and sleep on this land and never leave it until harvest time or if the landlord chases them.

We fill find out if I lock on permissions to that land and they grow the same stuff (I think is rye) on that or the plot next to it.

Study done by Univ of Wyo...avg was 34.8# of (boneless) meat which also went further down on animals hit in shoulder or other areas of higher additional meat loss.

Study done by Univ of Wyo...avg was 34.8# of (boneless) meat which also went further down on animals hit in shoulder or other areas of higher additional meat loss.
I take this to be bucks. My experience is does were closer to 20-25 with a lot of it going to burger depending on where you shoot it.

My line of thinking is when they are on private irrigated sections of land and do not move until harvest time, they would have some additional weight packed on to them not not be near as lean. I don't necessarily disagree with people that think 50-70 guess is high, and normally that is right. But I want to see for myself what they really weigh. If the additional weight is mostly belly fat like my belly, then yeah not much additional yield but if it goes against conventional biology for antelope and the meat gets any marbling or if I see any back fat then the weight goes up around 10-20 pounds closer to 50 pounds but I am guessing that it could be more and that is where 70 pound number got thrown in. Most of weight in antelope is in their bones. I just don't see how even antelope don't gain abnormal weight if they stay confined to one area and don't do the normal running they do especially in the rut.

Doug, no disrespect, but between this and your bird hunting thread I’ll admit that you tend to confuse the shit out of me.

You say depending on where you shoot them, true for meat loss but then ramble about burger and i for one don’t pit blood shot meat into my grind pile. Then you mention “back fat?” And if your going from a 35# average to your 50-70# goats due to “back fat” then those antelope must be swayback from packing that! Finally we are talking about MEAT and then you say an antelope carries most of its weight in its BONES? I’m kinda done at this point (should have been when I kidded you about Persistence Hunting being the weight difference but that one sailed a bit high on ya!
Have a good remainder to your weekend...MarvB out👋🏻

Yeah this one went off the rail a bit and did not need too. To get back to the subject, I want to find out how much if any is added to the yield of the antelope on the property I posted pics of in my other thread. There are a lot of variables that affect net yield of edible meat on antelope. Antelope are also one of the more lean critters walking today, normally. But where I am trying to get at, is how much does lack of regular physical exercise when they do not run affect them? How much is the weight gain? There has to be some but how much? I intend to find out in 2021 if I can connect to the landowner and get permission to use my bow there. I am sure there are biologists in here who can answer some of that. But most accurate way to find out is get one and weigh it out.

Yeah this one went off the rail a bit and did not need too. To get back to the subject, I want to find out how much if any is added to the yield of the antelope on the property I posted pics of in my other thread. There are a lot of variables that affect net yield of edible meat on antelope. Antelope are also one of the more lean critters walking today, normally. But where I am trying to get at, is how much does lack of regular physical exercise when they do not run affect them? How much is the weight gain? There has to be some but how much? I intend to find out in 2021 if I can connect to the landowner and get permission to use my bow there. I am sure there are biologists in here who can answer some of that. But most accurate way to find out is get one and weigh it out.
My guess is they move around more than you think, and definitely enough to not gain a lot of weight. It's not like they are in a feed lot. But, let us know for sure. I am curious.

My guess is they move around more than you think, and definitely enough to not gain a lot of weight. It's not like they are in a feed lot. But, let us know for sure. I am curious.
They are definitely bigger than the goats I chased in 2020. The pictures I took came out too fuzzy to show that, but especially the bucks are bigger.

BODY SIZE​

Weights are frequently used to describe large animals. They are usually qualified with a statement that the weight was: live, whole, hog dressed, skinned, or with the head off. Also, weights may be determined by a guess, experienced estimate, or a scale.
Several variables are known to influence skeletal development and consequently affect the skull size, tusks, muscle tissue, fat deposits, gross size of the animal, annual replacement of antlers, and increments of horns. Extremely large antlers or horns do not necessarily correspond with an exceptionally large body size. If the antler development is not outstanding, the body condition or size is a preferred description.
This section provides a listing of some of the largest weights on record for the various Montana big game species. As such, the standards require verification and the use of a certified scale. Whole weight is either from a live animal or a dead and uncut animal; dressed weight is an animal with head, skin and feet attached and the complete viscera removed.
Future records should include sex, date killed, location taken, hunter name, and observer names for the scale weight.

Greatest Weights (in pounds) for Montana Big Game​

Species​

Whole​

Dressed​

Bear, Black660
Bear, Grizzly1,102
Lion, Mountain176
American Elk1,010810
Deer, Mule453340
Deer, Whitetailed375275
Shiras "Wyoming" Moose1,117840
Pronghorn160121