Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Low Elevation Elk Hunt Options

hunt1up

So my hunting partner and I generally do DIY hunts for antelope, deer, and elk. We've been doing elk in WY for the many years now. His father has hunted with us a few times as well. On the past few elk hunts, his dad was really bothered by altitude sickness. Last year we camped at around 8,500' and by the 3rd day we had to come off the mountain so he could fly back home. We've got hunts planned for the next few years that are higher elevation, but his father has expressed interest in going on a hunt next year and we'd like him to go. We'd like to stick with elk if possible and we need to be between 5,000-7,000' or so.

I'm not looking for specifics(the classic forum line), but does anyone have an opinion or recommendation based on the following options?

1. Montana General rifle hunt. Pick a unit based on elevation and other factors.
2. Colorado trespass/self-guided hunt on private land. It would need to be somewhat affordable.
3. Apply for NM and hope we draw.
4. Low elevation access on a WY general tag.
5. We apply for AZ archery where we'd have about a 15% chance of drawing if we share our points.

#1 and #2 are the front runners at the moment.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
MT has some self guided/trespass type hunts available too, or at least they used too, not sure on the cost. Want to say it was Rob Arnaud (sp?) that was guiding the flying D for Turner had some ranches North of Bozeman that he had leases on for that. Might be worth looking at that as well as the CO trespass hunts. I haven't looked at hunting out of state in a long time, MT is about all I know anymore.

22 and 23 in Az have some nice elk year round and are below the rim. Most units are not very high up unless you hunt unit 1 and 27. If you can find private land in Colorado south of Castle Rock like units 104,105,110 128 there are some decent elk around at less than 6000 ft.

Last edited:
Look into outfitters around the Saratoga, Wyoming area. Ranches down low outside of town have elk hunting.

pm sent also.

Late season Wyoming cow hunt could have you down low in a number of areas.

Many ranches in WY will let you shot a cow for little or no money, 2 popular ones locally last year one was free as a HMA and other charged $50 i heard. If you want a bull it will cost you, no shame in a great family/friends cow hunt! Call regional G&F office and ask or look at HMAs and walk in areas, remember this is there busy season so if its future plan call them in december and BS about what your looking for. Its not hard to find a great cow hunt if put effort in, good luck.

Northeastern Wyoming is fairly low elevation (3,000-6,000 vert ft)
The zones are 2, 113, 116, 117, 123, 126, 129

Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with that corner of the state from some extensive antelope hunting. Unfortunately half of those units are going to take some fat preference points and we don't have enough.

Late season Wyoming cow hunt could have you down low in a number of areas.

Many ranches in WY will let you shot a cow for little or no money, 2 popular ones locally last year one was free as a HMA and other charged $50 i heard. If you want a bull it will cost you, no shame in a great family/friends cow hunt! Call regional G&F office and ask or look at HMAs and walk in areas, remember this is there busy season so if its future plan call them in december and BS about what your looking for. Its not hard to find a great cow hunt if put effort in, good luck.

Cow elk would indeed be affordable and there's many choices. We've killed a handful of elk between us, not a ton, but enough that I think we'd like to chase bulls over cows. It will most certainly be on the option list though.

Thanks again for all of the ideas. For now I think we're still leaning Colorado trespass or Montana DIY in a unit with lower elevation.

North Idaho elk units are OTC and anywhere from 3k-7k ft. Just steep and thick with brush. I managed to find elk with only a few days of hunting, but getting within 15 yards for a shot through the brush is the tough part.

Was the altitude sickness a one time thing? What shape is the man in?

It has happened on three separate hunts in recent years. He's 67 I think, not overweight in the slightest, but had some stints put in several years ago(genetics I guess). He doesn't exercise much but isn't in bad shape. He's done mountain hunts in the past, including a sheep hunt a good while back.

My hunting partner and I are going elk hunting to the same place as last year, so our plan is to have his dad fly out a few days early to acclimate. Have him take it easy and do some fishing, then come meet us up on the mountain to see how he feels. If it bothers him again it'll only cost us a little time to get him back to the truck from camp.

Back