PEAX Equipment

Los Angeles/Socal Friends for 2019 Season and beyond

effekt

We're a married couple that just got into hunting a few months ago. I'm a German immigrant, and she's born and raised in CA. Solid shooting experience, members at Oak Tree and going once a week to shoot our bows/shotguns/rifles, been camping, but other than that no hunting experience whatsoever. We started getting into it through meateater, randy, joe rogan, etc. Planning to do whatever we can, but are very much fans of spot/stalk, rather than focusing on blinds or tree stands. Trying to get fit enough to actually do it this year.

We're not what you'd consider the typical people to get into hunting. While I look like a barbarian, I'm a software engineer and she's a graphics artist. We're nerds. Video games, esports, technology, the whole nine yards. As expected, I love gadgets like the Garmin Xero sight.

I'm pretty confident that the crossover between these two worlds is slim to nonexistant and we must be crazy mutants, but I figured I'd see what the response would be on here. Reading the above, you're probably painting a picture of us in your head that I'm very certain is far from who we actually are.

So if anyone's down to chat, grab a beer, see where it goes - hit me up.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I live in El Centro but I don't do any big game hunting in SoCal, most my hunts are in Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, New Zealand. I'm not rich but I don't let poverty stop me.

If you're willing to pay a little for access I think you can get on the Tejon Ranch, it's not far north of LA. They have well over over 100,000 acres available to hunt DIY for wild pigs, small game, and game birds.

If you're willing to pay a little for access I think you can get on the Tejon Ranch, it's not far north of LA. They have well over over 100,000 acres available to hunt DIY for wild pigs, small game, and game birds.

Is that worth $11,000? I'm perfectly fine with not harvesting anything for our first season, running around on public land. Looks like all that $11,000 would buy us is the option to use some of their cabins, and cull their wild pigs for them. Am I missing something?

Is that worth $11,000? I'm perfectly fine with not harvesting anything for our first season, running around on public land. Looks like all that $11,000 would buy us is the option to use some of their cabins, and cull their wild pigs for them. Am I missing something?

Wonder what coordinates would cost? mtmuley

Hey man. I live up in the valley around Burbank, I recently got my friend into hunting, he lives in Santa Clarita. We go shoot bows at Oak Tree and Burbank. He is just learning but has more free time than me and is looking to get into as much as he can with the stuff. What area are you in?

I’d recommend attending a SCVQUWF meeting. Primarily quail and upland but many members hunt all species in and out of state. Great local hands in the field conservation club. Go volunteer to put guzzlers in and you’ll see where to hunt in northern LA county. They meet at Oak Tree the third Wednesday of each month. Google their website

Beats me, I've never been there, but a quick search on their page shows you can do it for $3,000-4,000. Compared to a guided hunt somewhere a couple thousand bucks to run round on the ranch for the whole fall season seems like a small price to pay to escape that hell-hole you live in and do a little DIY hunting and fishing. Pig hunting in California is not considered "culling", you have to buy tags and they're good as table fare, but unfortunately most of the good pig hunting is on private ranches like that one. You can do a lot of "running around" on very unproductive public land in CA, I grew up doing it...

A little late to this post but would add that there is some great quail hunting within a couple hours of you on BLM and state lands. For cost of gas and shells, you can get a lot of hunting days under your belt in a hurry.

I've seen several BHA events in So Cal recently, Ventura is March 20. Also saw some in the Glendale/Pasedena area a while back. Seems like a good bet to meet some folks.

Back