Lope Hunters...Take a Look See here

Ovis

Considering a lope hunt in 08. Probably can't swing it this year due to my sheep hunt in late Aug.

A friend of a friend recommended a guide he went with this past year in Colorado. The price was $1400 give or take a few and that included room, board, and the lope. I need to get with the guide to find out how many days and the rest of the details.

Considering the above, is this the quality of bucks I should expect to see?

Lance_41.JPG

If you really want to go guided that's your choice, but I think you could come up with something like that buck on your own for a whole lot less. That's a respectable buck, but I'd have a hard time paying $1400 dollars for it.

I can't really say whether that hunt is a good deal or not, because I'm not familiar with the going rate.

Yep you could easily get that [slightly above average buck] on your own.... in Az getting the tag is the problem...

if your going to hire a guide hit up NM or montana they have some big lope bucks there.

I dont think I would hunt CO for a lope

Hey Delw.... Where in Montana can I find a big buck? Well besides Greenhorns honey hole. :D

Ovis, where do you live? That would influence me somewhat due to the costs associated with flying somewhere. If you can drive relatively easy, I would also do a DIY lope hunt in MT or WY. Tags are easy to get and with a little leg work I think a guy could kill a buck as big as the one above with a little effort.

One thing about going guided though, is you'll likely have a place somewhat to yourself, therefore won't have to dodge bullets shot by the local drunks from the window of thier trucks. Seems like most 3 day lope hunts run about $1500 in just about every state.

Wy. is the place for a DIY hunt. NM is the place to go for a guided hunt. Just my opinion.

I went on a last minute DIY to Wyoming last year. I called Sportsmans Warehouse in Casper on Monday for a leftover buck tag. Sent them a money order overnight and had my tag on Thursday. I left here (East Idaho) Friday morning and shot a pretty decent buck late that afternoon after a six hour trip. He scored about 73 1/8 not bad for a last minute getaway.. I had never seen so many danged antelope.. they were browsing in peoples yards on the outskirts of Casper never seen anything like it!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back