Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Lope Hunters...Take a Look See here

Ovis

Considering a lope hunt in 08. Probably can't swing it this year due to my sheep hunt in late Aug.

A friend of a friend recommended a guide he went with this past year in Colorado. The price was $1400 give or take a few and that included room, board, and the lope. I need to get with the guide to find out how many days and the rest of the details.

Considering the above, is this the quality of bucks I should expect to see?

Lance_41.JPG

If you really want to go guided that's your choice, but I think you could come up with something like that buck on your own for a whole lot less. That's a respectable buck, but I'd have a hard time paying $1400 dollars for it.

I can't really say whether that hunt is a good deal or not, because I'm not familiar with the going rate.

Yep you could easily get that [slightly above average buck] on your own.... in Az getting the tag is the problem...

if your going to hire a guide hit up NM or montana they have some big lope bucks there.

I dont think I would hunt CO for a lope

Hey Delw.... Where in Montana can I find a big buck? Well besides Greenhorns honey hole. :D

Ovis, where do you live? That would influence me somewhat due to the costs associated with flying somewhere. If you can drive relatively easy, I would also do a DIY lope hunt in MT or WY. Tags are easy to get and with a little leg work I think a guy could kill a buck as big as the one above with a little effort.

One thing about going guided though, is you'll likely have a place somewhat to yourself, therefore won't have to dodge bullets shot by the local drunks from the window of thier trucks. Seems like most 3 day lope hunts run about $1500 in just about every state.

Wy. is the place for a DIY hunt. NM is the place to go for a guided hunt. Just my opinion.

I went on a last minute DIY to Wyoming last year. I called Sportsmans Warehouse in Casper on Monday for a leftover buck tag. Sent them a money order overnight and had my tag on Thursday. I left here (East Idaho) Friday morning and shot a pretty decent buck late that afternoon after a six hour trip. He scored about 73 1/8 not bad for a last minute getaway.. I had never seen so many danged antelope.. they were browsing in peoples yards on the outskirts of Casper never seen anything like it!!!!!!!

Back