Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking to get a Compound Bow

RugerHawg413

I am looking to get a compound bow, I have a crossbow that I love but I would like to buy a compound bow. I am looking at getting Bear Archery's Cruzer G2 RTH, just wondered if anyone had one or has a better suggestion. I just want to get one that is somewhat user friendly (since I am new to it), but also that will kill a bull elk (with the right shot placement). I am left eye dominant, so I will be shooting a left handed bow. Thanks for all the info and wisdom!

There are a lot of new bow junkies out there that have to have the latest greatest, so they are always selling their "old" bows. You can find a one or 2 year old bow at a fraction of the cost of a new bow.
Ok, great! Thanks for the info!!

Go to a local bow shop and shoot several. You'll get a wide variety of options and they may have some used bows for sale as well. They can help with all aspects of setup, form, accessories, etc.

If you search well, you can often find a nearly new bow for about 1/2 the cost of new. Top ones in general are Matthews, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt. Read the reviews, search Ebay, craigslist etc. See what the top rated 2018 and 19 bows were etc. You can get a lot more bow for the money buying used.

I have a Diamond SB Edge and it has been a good starter bow. I agree that you can pick up a better bow used. The value of the diamond for me was it is adjustable from 7-70 lbs. I just wasn't sure where I needed to be having never shot a bow. The higher end bows will be in ten pound increments. The bow shoots best with the limbs at max so you are giving up something when you set it below max.

I'll upgrade in a year or two and will probably go 60 lbs although with a Vertix I can go 65. I'll never shoot 70 lbs so I see no reason to buy a 70 and set it 62-63 lbs. The top of the line bows are so fast now, I can save my shoulder. Also, you need to consider what you can draw when tired and cold after 4-5 days of hard hunting. It's not the same as fresh at the range.

I'll convert my Diamond to a bow fishing rig when I upgrade so no loss to me. Good luck!

What others have said about a 1 or 2 yr old bow is 100%
I was always a new bow buyer and about every 4yrs and would spend about $ 1600 before leaving a pro shop but my one buddy is the king of finding a great deal on a 2 yr old bow so last yr he found me a 2 yr old hoyt for $ 300 is sold new for $ 1100
So many guys trade every other yr wanting the newest and greatest and their are so many great bows out their shoot many and find one the fits you

I have to give a thumbs up to the cruzer G2. We got my father-in-law in one as a beginner. It's not a huge investment, comes with the basics you need, and has a wide range of draw weights so you can start light and build up. This is important as a beginner because your focus is all about learning proper form. Learning proper form and training the right muscles is a little harder if you are over-bowed. So this is the approach we took with my FIL and has been good experience so far. Hope this helps.

J

The grip on the Cruzer is atrocious. I have a similar bow (Species), and built my own grip to fix this issue. I can’t really recommend a particular bow because the best one is the one that shoots and feels good to you. Try shooting some different brands. Bear has a pretty solid set up in the RTH package for the price point. Also consider that a single cam bow is easier to tune and a bit more idiot proof than a dual cam bow

I just started bow hunting last year and had similar questions and concerns. I went to a local pro shop and asked if I could shoot a variety bows. I didn't want a sales pitch and I didn't want to know the price. I asked if I can shoot the best bow in the shop, a middle ground bow, and all the way down to the cheapest bow. He brought out 5 bows for me to chose from. I did a blind trial and made a decision based off what felt the best to me... lucky for me, out of every bow I shot I liked one of the cheaper ones the best!! The technology these days is just insane. For entry level guys like us, we don't know what we don't know... and the cheaper bows will have no problem killing a bull. My $500 PSE killed a nice bull last year. The arrow went clean through him. Best of luck!!

I am starting to bow hunt this year and went with a PSE Drive, find a good archery shop and shoot a few, and go with what you like, you will see a difference between them, you can set up a couple different bows with the same sight, rest, poundage ect...and 1 will feel right.

I think for a first time archer, a bow shop you like is the most important part of the equation. Reasons being:

1. Compound bows need to FIT. Draw length draw weight and peep height all have to be customized to the archer
  2. Components need to work together. Arrow length and spine need to take into account broadhead or field tip weight, Draw weight etc.
  3. For good broadhead flight you need your bow to be tuned. Cam timing, rest position, etc. String and cable twists.
  4. You need good shooting form. A few lessons from the bow shop will help you get your sight adjusted so you are aiming where you hit.
  5. Archery is a social sport. 3d shoots, club field shoots, indoor leagues, the shop is gonna know these and which ones will be the best for you.
  6. New bows are under warranty. Used bows seldom are. Usually if there is an issue the manufacturer will want to work through their dealer.

The learning curve is steep but doable for a new archer. Let your first bow be setup right, under warranty and not worry about learning to set up a bow before you even shoot. Most shops have an assortment for the new shooter that you can upgrade a piece at a time in the future if you choose.

I think for a first time archer, a bow shop you like is the most important part of the equation. Reasons being:

1. Compound bows need to FIT. Draw length draw weight and peep height all have to be customized to the archer
  2. Components need to work together. Arrow length and spine need to take into account broadhead or field tip weight, Draw weight etc.
  3. For good broadhead flight you need your bow to be tuned. Cam timing, rest position, etc. String and cable twists.
  4. You need good shooting form. A few lessons from the bow shop will help you get your sight adjusted so you are aiming where you hit.
  5. Archery is a social sport. 3d shoots, club field shoots, indoor leagues, the shop is gonna know these and which ones will be the best for you.
  6. New bows are under warranty. Used bows seldom are. Usually if there is an issue the manufacturer will want to work through their dealer.

The learning curve is steep but doable for a new archer. Let your first bow be setup right, under warranty and not worry about learning to set up a bow before you even shoot. Most shops have an assortment for the new shooter that you can upgrade a piece at a time in the future if you choose.
Thanks so much! That really helps!

Shop eBay I got a Matthews z7 extreme for less than price of it it would cost new. But I would also say go to a bow shop that has numerous brands and shoot a few bows and see what you shoot best and like

I am looking to get a compound bow, I have a crossbow that I love but I would like to buy a compound bow. I am looking at getting Bear Archery's Cruzer G2 RTH, just wondered if anyone had one or has a better suggestion. I just want to get one that is somewhat user friendly (since I am new to it), but also that will kill a bull elk (with the right shot placement). I am left eye dominant, so I will be shooting a left handed bow. Thanks for all the info and wisdom!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Archery, (crossbows do not count in my opinion, no offense)! I would go try out several different bows. Physically handle them, draw them, feel how they weight in your hand, so on and so forth. I have had friends who have bought bows because they like the way it looks but then end up having the bow not be a good fit for them. Bear is a good company, been around for awhile, and for a beginner I would say that's a good start. However, companies such as PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, and Mathews have really made some great advances in technology to where you could get a "starter bow", but end up using it for the next 10 years. Anyways, go try a bunch out and decide what you like! Good Luck!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Archery, (crossbows do not count in my opinion, no offense)! I would go try out several different bows. Physically handle them, draw them, feel how they weight in your hand, so on and so forth. I have had friends who have bought bows because they like the way it looks but then end up having the bow not be a good fit for them. Bear is a good company, been around for awhile, and for a beginner I would say that's a good start. However, companies such as PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, and Mathews have really made some great advances in technology to where you could get a "starter bow", but end up using it for the next 10 years. Anyways, go try a bunch out and decide what you like! Good Luck!
Thanks so much, lots of good info! Thanks again!

Back