looking to buy a few trail cameras

badlandshunter

Ive been looking into getting some trail cameras for the upcoming hunting season. I want to buy a few of them so i can cover a sizable area so i want quality at an affordable price what would you guys recommend?

I got a few bushnells. I think called the aggressor. They've been pretty good compared to some others I've had like moultrie.

I've found the 50-70$ range usually are pretty disappointing. Once you spend $100 or so the quality and features really jump up. I don't think there's too much difference from brand to brand. All brands have low/medium/and high end models.

I would buy quality of quantity. I run 5 currently and cycle in a new high quality one every year replacing old junky ones.

At the end of the days they take a picture. I don't care much about image quality, mainly just don't want to be missing deer.

If you can afford it buy one of the ones that send pic to ur cell phone. I can't afford them but have seen Them used and they are awesome. If I had to travel far to check trail cams I could justify it but hunting out my backyard and gas so cheap I'll just buy the $100 ones.

I picked up a Moultrie Trace for a good price a few months ago. Finally set it up last week on a trail behind my house and was pleased with the results. No false pics and the pic quality is good.

I have the Spy Points, but personally if I were to get new ones I would go with the Brownings.

Will these be on public land or private? If public, cut out the middle man and buy used ones on Craig's List from the guy who will in turn steal them from you later this summer and fall. Putting $100 bills on trees on public land is a fool's gamble. You will become aggravated and think less of humans. Your money, though.

This stinks, but LopeHunter is right.
Will these be on public land or private? If public, cut out the middle man and buy used ones on Craig's List from the guy who will in turn steal them from you later this summer and fall. Putting $100 bills on trees on public land is a fool's gamble. You will become aggravated and think less of humans. Your money, though.

I've used a few brands and found bushnell to be the best I have tried. I do have a couple Browning to try this year, and suspect they are also bushnell made. As far as quality pics, the main factor I have experienced is the trigger speed. A cam with a trigger speed less than 1 sec, seems to produce 10x better photos ( less blurring, etc. ) than a cam with trigger speed 1 sec or more. Listened to a podcast recently and a well known Idaho big muley killer was asked this same question. He thinks last years Stealth Cam are the best buy out there now, about $50 on ebay is how he gets his. Best Cams I have had are the Bushnell Trophy type/style. Can usually find them for about $70 used or refurb on ebay.

There is a Covert on Camo Fire right now... Don't know anything about them but could be a good deal

I use Wild Game Innovations. I have 6. Work great and can be found for $60-80. I also buy the steel security boxes and lock them with cable locks. I've not had one stolen since going to the security box/lock combination.

IF you want to buy a couple or more, you can't go wrong with the Covert MP-E6. Takes great pictures, great customer service if something does go wrong, and they have outstanding battery life (just don't buy economy batteries).

There is a new company, Exodus Cameras, who have a 5 year warranty and a stolen camera discount. I think I might try one of those this year.

Had really good luck with Moultrie 880 ir. (8) AA batteries last over 1 year of continuous use. My two cameras are out all year long. About $80 each a couple years ago. Tons of great pictures!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 413
I have 3 wildgame innovations and they range from 55-85 bucks. Take great pictures and use AA batteries. The older ones that take c's and d's also weight a ton more. Try to look for 6mp or better and something with a minimum 60 foot IR at night. If you can get to the camera on a regular basis the new plot watcher has no trigger, it just takes a picture every few seconds. Will allow you to see the deer/elk etc at a greater range if set up greatly. Basically the purpose of it is to catch the animals that move thru the area but not in the range of your camera.

I've run moultrie 880's and more recently the Browning Spec ops which are tiny in a good way. I really agree that the cameras get a lot better above $100. You should always use Lithium Ion batteries regardless of the camera. I run python cable locks on all of my cameras and have a metal case for my moultrie.

These guys do a really good job analyzing the cameras http://www.trailcampro.com/

I had a couple 880ir. Which I thought were excellent cameras.

I did a test where I put a moutrie and a reconyx on the same tree.

The reconyx had roughly 10 times as many pictures as the Moultrie. Both were set on single picture mode.

Just some food for thought, unless you do a side by side test, there really isn't any way of knowing how many are being missed.

Last year I bought a Simmons 6MP Whitetail Cam - it was around $100. Takes pretty crisp pictures.

Attachments

• HUNT0094.JPG
    HUNT0094.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 427
  • HUNT0140.JPG
    HUNT0140.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 457
Great thread! Purchasing two more cameras this summer and I'll try some of the cameras you all are using. I'm thinking Reconyx and Wildgame Innovations. And lithium batteries.

I use a mix of Moultrie and Bushnell trail cameras. I leave the cameras out 12 months a year and have good luck with both. Bought some Moultrie Trace cameras last year for $40 a piece and have been satisfied with their performance.

Back