Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Looking for public land advice in Northwestern Wisconsin

Kegz

Hey guys,

I bought a license to hunt with my grandfather one last time before I plan to move. But I told him my fiance was going to sit with me and learn about hunting before hunters safety next year. He didn't like that idea and doesn't want us to come anymore.

I live in Minneapolis, MN, so its not a far drive to the border. Does anybody have any ideas on where I should try to hunt? This is my first year getting back into hunting so I'm not picky, but some hills would be nice to get some views. I was looking at the DNR's public access map, and I was thinking about some state parks. But it said admission was $11 a day for out of state plates, which I can't really afford right now since I have all week off to hunt, so I'll be going everyday. I see some national park service land, but I read I can't hunt that. Should I maybe just pick a smaller piece of land that is US Fish and Wildlife Service? There seems to be quite a few in St. Croix County. Any advice is appreciated, I'm new to all this map reading of where I can hunt. I've done some research but I've never had to choose the land I was hunting on, the group I went with just already had the place we were going.

Thanks

Here is the map if you wanted to look - http://dnrmaps.wi.gov/H5/?Viewer=Public_Access_Lands

If you travel a little farther north Polk county and Burnett county have some county forests along the St. Croix River. Check out the counties GIS maps. Douglas County in the NW corner of WI has a ton of Public land.

If you travel a little farther north Polk county and Burnett county have some county forests along the St. Croix River. Check out the counties GIS maps. Douglas County in the NW corner of WI has a ton of Public land.

Thanks ill check it out. Douglas and St. Croix counties dont seem to have CWD on the DNR map. So i wouldnt have to cross as much red tape bringing home the meat if i get one. Atleast that was my undertsanding from reading the website.

Burnett and Douglas Counties have more public lands than you could hunt in a lifetime. Look beyond the state forests at some of the county forest areas. You can also look at some of the state wildlife areas, Crex Meadows wouldn't be too far of a drive and I have seen a fair amount of deer out there this year. Bring the shotgun along too, lots of good grouse hunting and waterfowl can be hit or miss

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back