Caribou Gear

Public Land Stand Options

Have you talked to range control (or whoever administers hunting) on post? They might be able to make an exception for leaving a stand if it isn't permitted.
Range Control. Air Force background? Haha.

You can leave it up for the season. Problem is they get stolen.

Range Control. Air Force background? Haha.

You can leave it up for the season. Problem is they get stolen.

Army. I have found the best way to negotiate with RC is with a case of beer. Stealing a ladder stand would take some commitment and prior planning. If you don't mind me asking, what post are you hunting?

Army. I have found the best way to negotiate with RC is with a case of beer. Stealing a ladder stand would take some commitment and prior planning. If you don't mind me asking, what post are you hunting?
Ft Bragg AKA Fort Woke Liberty.

Ft Bragg AKA Fort Woke Liberty.

It isn't the worst base to hunt, but I can see why you might have an issue with stand getting stolen. I still think you might be safe with a ladder, but the outdoor folks probably wouldn't want to endorse it and then have some creative PFCs figure out how to get it off the tree....

It isn't the worst base to hunt, but I can see why you might have an issue with stand getting stolen. I still think you might be safe with a ladder, but the outdoor folks probably wouldn't want to endorse it and then have some creative PFCs figure out how to get it off the tree....
Taking the bottom section off and out with you at the end of the day will help.

You could get an affordable ladder stand and take the bottom two ladder sections off. Get you a couple of big wheels like the ones on a push mower and mount them to the top of the stand platform. Roll it in and set it up leaving the wheels attached. You won’t be but 6 feet or so up but it gets you above the brush. I’d set something like that up with plenty of back cover and just be sure to be still and play the wind.
I broke my back last year and I’m sitting on the ground in a turkey chair so far this season. I have a saddle, but I’m not sold on it just yet. Ground hunting can be very productive if you take time to choose your spot carefully.

You could get an affordable ladder stand and take the bottom two ladder sections off. Get you a couple of big wheels like the ones on a push mower and mount them to the top of the stand platform. Roll it in and set it up leaving the wheels attached. You won’t be but 6 feet or so up but it gets you above the brush. I’d set something like that up with plenty of back cover and just be sure to be still and play the wind.
I broke my back last year and I’m sitting on the ground in a turkey chair so far this season. I have a saddle, but I’m not sold on it just yet. Ground hunting can be very productive if you take time to choose your spot carefully.
I am sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are healing well.

My late son's friend the next county over uses a saddle and has done very well. Shot 2 does opening afternoon about 5 minutes apart and took a bruiser last year.

That's a good idea, yest more and more wisdom is telling me to go back and retry the climber, but go in earlier and take a very slow time getting up the tree.

If you don't want someone to use your stand lock the seat in an upright position

I am sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you are healing well.

My late son's friend the next county over uses a saddle and has done very well. Shot 2 does opening afternoon about 5 minutes apart and took a bruiser last year.
Thanks…I can do pretty much anything I want with some soreness, but most of have to deal with soreness. I just choose not to get in a tree stand, don’t want to push my luck.
A climber is a great option, just buy a lightweight one and lock it up if you plan to leave it overnight.
Also, thanks for your service!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back